Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Universal DRSSTC Driver V2.5 (Sold Out)

Move Thread LAN_403
Thomas W
Tue Sept 10 2013, 08:29PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
ivest wrote ...

Did a quick price up for components at Farnell. Including their minimum order for some components (10 caps of each value ect..)
It would be around £40 without the fiber modules. The Fiber modules cost around £13 for the 2412 and £5 for the IFD95.

Just in case no one saw I have about 10 unpopulated REVA boards that are electrically tested left over that I am getting rid of for £8 each including postage.

Whats the difference between the REV A and REV B?
ivest
Tue Sept 10 2013, 08:53PM
ivest Registered Member #30780 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 07:55PM
Eric's new version that he is offering is REV B. The REV A is the same one as on his website and the previous posts.
From what I can see in pictures it just looks like the placement of the voltage regulators and capacitors has changed slightly.
Just look at his pictures and the one I posted of mine on page 3.

I could throw in a solder stencil too for a £1 if you can wait for me to make one on the laser at college.

Eric can you shed any light on what else is different?
Goodchild
Tue Sept 10 2013, 09:11PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
You are correct, the placement of the regulators has changed such that an off the shelf heat sink can be used for both the 9v (or 12v) and 5v regs. I think I had a couple other small tweaks that I can't remember off the top of my head but nothing major. It should function about the same as the rev A. I plan to put the rev B files up soon once I verify the design with a complete board.

If you guys can get the parts/boards cheaper in country I would recommend it. International shipping from me is probably going to cost you more in the long run. I'm doing this build for people that don't want to hassle with the soldering and simply want to buy a working tested board. By all means I encourage you to build it your self if you are up to the challenge.

ivest
Tue Sept 10 2013, 09:28PM
ivest Registered Member #30780 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 07:55PM
It would actually be cheaper to get parts from the US if it was not for the shipping and Tax our country adds on. You guys got it good in America :)
Goodchild
Tue Sept 10 2013, 09:45PM
Maybe now, but we are slowly shifting to the ways of the EU. Befor long we will all be in the same boat....

Even so it's still very close on price, buying the parts in the US comes out to be about £37 vs £53 (in-country) you could easly make that up in shipping.

EDIT:
Just finished reflowing the first board! It somehow worked my first try! Not sure how that happened... The next one should be even better.

9721755892 A93e846ba6 Z

9721756264 F4d4f93ca1 Z
Thomas W
Wed Sept 11 2013, 05:47AM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
I Would buy it from Eric, however due to the price, im worried of messing up with it (first DRSSTC)

My plans are to build a small DRSSTC, them a medium, then a huge one with these:
Link2
and some large 500VDC 5250uf capacitors

However im rathe worried that the board would need slight mods for these high power IGBTs (not to mention if these IGBTs would work at all...)

Thanks
Goodchild
Wed Sept 11 2013, 07:20AM
If you use the proper GDT and CT the board shouldn't need any mods or tweaks, unless you start to venture into the QCW stuff and even then it would probably work with little or no tweaking.

The main thing to adjust is the phase lead and the board comes with the removable quick swap sockets for the phase lead inductor making it easily swappable with no soldering.

However, If it's your first time building a DRSSTC you may want to build it from scratch to learn the in's and out's of how to build the board. It would be a great learning experience if you have not yet tried it.
Kizmo
Wed Sept 11 2013, 07:42AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
No worries. I have 800A versions of those bricks and they make CM600s look like toys :p

Edit: After all they are 5th generation bricks (Fuji U4 series)
Bennem
Wed Sept 11 2013, 11:54AM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
Hi Eric,

So that's about $125 + $15 for UK shipping?

Let me know when one is available and how to pay.

Yeah, still dabbling in coiling, i still hope to have a bigger coil one day,
it's just that i've been side tracked with health issues (cancers, heart ops and now spine)
but i love to read all about yours and other folks's projects.
You sure have come a long way in such a small time.

All the best with your continued success.

Mel.
Goodchild
Wed Sept 11 2013, 03:54PM
__=|(:3)-|--{__, Kizmo is correct those bricks are rather fast devices and would probably work fine all the way up to 100KHz with phase lead. A good guideline to follow is for hard switching total switching time doesn't exceed 10% of the period. For phase lead I have personally tryed up to 30% with no issues.

Mel,
I just picked that shipping up on the web, however I can't imagine it being any more expensive than that. I will probably post here when I have some built that I'm ready to sell.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: