All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

smaller coils (and a 12MHz target)

Move Thread LAN_403
teravolt
Sat Nov 18 2006, 08:55PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
what is the distance it takes to light a florecent lamp? I use florecent lamps to mesure field srength
ragnar
Mon Nov 20 2006, 09:52AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Well, I'll admit this isn't very rewarding. I rewound the secondary on thinner 26mm teflon PFA tube, and the secondary resonated at around the same frequency but had about three-four times the turncount. I increased my primary to three turns, and now use direct drive from two IXDDs onto the gate.

It draws a little more current, the spark is a little bigger, but still a great deal of heating of the FET and the IXDDs.

I worry that the on-resistance of the IRF730 is a wee bit too big to make this a worthwhile endeavour... but if I parallel them, the output capacitance might become too big. =P

Ideas? =P
1164016364 63 FT14290 1356flight1

1164016364 63 FT14290 1356fswitcher
Steve Conner
Mon Nov 20 2006, 05:31PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If you're looking for ideas: why not use two IRF730s in push-pull? smile
WaveRider
Mon Nov 20 2006, 06:05PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM

Or perhaps use a higher driving voltage (lower drain current...I use 100-115V drain supply...of course, this may mean more primary turns to increase the coil primary feedpoint impedance suitably).

How much current is drawn from the DC supply (in the MOSFET drain circuit)? Also, where is the drain RF choke (is there one? didnt see one in your picture)..

Note that all the "flying leads" will load the circuit considerably at 13.56 MHz, too..
Marko
Mon Nov 20 2006, 08:45PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Primary is obivously used as a choke, same as me and steve ward did.

That mosfet is quite small indeed; you can't actually push more than about an amp in that conditions without blowing it up.

You should use more primary turns and higher supply voltage to make better use of your mosfet.

Mosfet also wastes quite a lot of power here (hope it's not more than the spark itself) so you must keep a large heatsink on it.

One thing that could also be tried is paralelling a handful of small mosfet's, maybe something like IRFU410A (osram saver bulb mosfets); I happemn to have ton over here.

They are puny in their ratings but switching times are great, and due to high ON resistance paralelling shouldn't be a problem.

I would also like to see BP's multi-coil in performance at one point here. It should be much more potent at those frequencies than 'normal' coils and much less wasteful in copper...

ragnar
Tue Nov 21 2006, 01:05AM
The flying leads are probably pretty bad, but I thought that they'd be OK since power is fairly well decoupled.

I presume I can't use an RF choke with my current setup?

Push/pull is a really good idea, thanks. =)
1164071109 63 FT14290 Snugmodule
WaveRider
Tue Nov 21 2006, 03:43PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
BP.. If you are feeding the primary by making it part of the drain circuit, then your heat sink must have a considerable RF potential on it (adding capacitance to your drain circuit...which may not be a bad thing). The consequences of this are the obvious safety issues, but also it can cause coupling (and possbly lots of harmonic radiation...which can possibly cause extra loading and heating of your transistor).

Also, if the heatsink has a high RF potential, all those power leads and coax shialds can couple to the heatsink field and will act like antennas... My suggestion would to be to keep that big block of metal at RF earth potential. Provided I am deciphering your circuit correctly, I am damn impressed with your ability to get the circuit to work!!!

Also, I should clear up a misconception about the primary winding in the drain circuit. It is _not_ a choke. If no decoupling cap is used at VDD, it will sit at a non-zero RF potential and your power leads will behave like transmission lines/radiators. Also, the dynamics of the circuit are quite different using this setup as opposed to the classic Class-E setup with the RFC. The choke (big red thing in this pic) in the classic class-E amp makes the DC source look like a current source at RF (a Norton transformation, in technical terms). There is no such beast in the drain-connected primary as shown.

And yes, push pull is a good idea, but it requires careful design to keep the phasings correct.

Keep up the astounding work!!

ragnar
Tue Nov 21 2006, 11:44PM
Hehe, you know, I just found my scope probe and ground lead was getting really hot every time I poked the thing. Yowch! No more!
Marko
Wed Nov 22 2006, 12:41AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I think that only real problem here is slowness mosfet's swiching itself, and there's little that can be done for it.

Regarding 'no choke' topology, I managed to push 10+cm spark out of 8cm high coil so I think it works pretty well.

One good decoupling cap is a must and there should be no pproblems with this.

Although I don't think it as a big problem, you can always put a little insulator between that heatsink and fet...
ragnar
Wed Nov 22 2006, 02:29AM
wrote ...
BP.. If you are feeding the primary by making it part of the drain circuit, then your heat sink must have a considerable RF potential on it (adding capacitance to your drain circuit...which may not be a bad thing). The consequences of this are the obvious safety issues, but also it can cause coupling (and possbly lots of harmonic radiation...which can possibly cause extra loading and heating of your transistor).
I regret that I'm doing just that, which is probably unforgiveable at > 1MHz, and I feel secretly very lucky that I can get spark output at all.

Lots of harmonic radiation is definitely there -- the radio goes silent whenever I turn this on, regardless of what station, and regardless of what frequency I drive it at. =P

I wasn't so worried about the heatsink having RF on it... but at this stage, I'll try putting some mica and grease on. Do I dare ground the heatsink?

wrote ...
Also, if the heatsink has a high RF potential, all those power leads and coax shialds can couple to the heatsink field and will act like antennas... My suggestion would to be to keep that big block of metal at RF earth potential.
Mm, after noticing the oscilloscope-ground-lead heating issue, I figured that the pickup is horrendous even many inches away. Ooh, ooh, so if I make my heatsink the counterpoise for the TC... then it's at RF earth potential? wink wink hehe

wrote ...
If no decoupling cap is used at VDD, it will sit at a non-zero RF potential and your power leads will behave like transmission lines/radiators.
I'm beginning to feel that 1uF of decoupling isn't enough, and I should be using a variety of decouplers, like ceramic, film and electrolytic all in parallel.

wrote ...
Also, the dynamics of the circuit are quite different using this setup as opposed to the classic Class-E setup with the RFC. The choke (big red thing in this pic) in the classic class-E amp makes the DC source look like a current source at RF (a Norton transformation, in technical terms). There is no such beast in the drain-connected primary as shown.

Does your setup look something like this:?

1164162588 63 FT14290 Advschem
How do you calculate or estimate the value of the RF choke, Lmatch and Cblocking? Or is the RF choke uncritical as it'll just allow more/less current through? Have I even got the arrangement of Ls and Cs correct? :P

wrote ...
And yes, push pull is a good idea, but it requires careful design to keep the phasings correct.
Often when I need to split a signal, the logic isn't fast enough, or my oscilloscope is too crap to accurately draw two waveforms in sync (as in I twiddle the trigger and dual traces move left/right in opposite directions), I've really got no way of adding delay to compensate for slow logic. So what I do is make a little transformer like so:

(Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time, your honour. And your honour, I swear that those outputs were sinewaves last time I checked, too.)

-----

On another note, looking through MOSFET datasheets today, I notice that:
IRF730 output capacitance = 150pF
IRFP450 output capacitance = 720pF
IRFP450LC output capacitance = 320pF

Since I'm adding 50-63pF of my own capacitance across DS, do I presume then that there's no way I can use FETs with an output capacitance larger than, say ~200pF? Or does that change when I use a proper network to couple the primary?

cheers,
Matt

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: