Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Driving 'Fiddy's Flybacks' in flyback mode.

Move Thread LAN_403
Shrad
Tue Nov 25 2014, 08:32AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
no ground plane ?
Ash Small
Tue Nov 25 2014, 01:21PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Shrad wrote ...

no ground plane ?

I'm going to try to deal with the 'ground plane' issue once I've got the component layout sorted. I imagine loads of de-coupling capacitors sprinkled all over the place will help here, but my current thoughts are to have two 'ground planes' connected by a thin trace. One for the 556 and associated components, and one for the MOSFET and associated components.

The routing of the trace from the 'output' of the 556 to the MOSFET is the bit I'm currently working on, and the layout of the heatsinks.

Is it worth putting a resistor in the trace that connects the two ground planes? This would allow them to both remain at the same potential, but might improve stability at the 556?

I will be adding plenty more capacitors around the MOSFET, etc. A bag of 100 SMD ceramic capacitors costs next to nothing wink
Shrad
Tue Nov 25 2014, 03:01PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I'd use a small choke to connect both ground planes, it's the way I have seen it done in many designs

if you don't want a ground plane yet, you can still place your PCB over a blank copper clad board which would be grounded
Sigurthr
Wed Nov 26 2014, 03:20PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Before you go into adding bells and whistles of layout, I'd work on getting to a stable prototype. Simply working on a grounded metal surface is usually good enough up until the 500KHz level from what I've seen first hand, and even then some things will do ok even up to ~3MHz. It depends on a lot of factors. Still, there's no reason to break your back on layout until you know whether the schematic you're using is even working.
Ash Small
Wed Nov 26 2014, 03:45PM
Sigurthr wrote ...

Before you go into adding bells and whistles of layout, I'd work on getting to a stable prototype. Simply working on a grounded metal surface is usually good enough up until the 500KHz level from what I've seen first hand, and even then some things will do ok even up to ~3MHz. It depends on a lot of factors. Still, there's no reason to break your back on layout until you know whether the schematic you're using is even working.

It's just the layout of the heatsinks for the MOSFET and three associated Schottky diodes that I'm working on at the moment.

I need at least three heatsinks, unless I use insulating pads, which I don't really want to do.

The bigger the heatsinks, the further apart the components are. Using smaller heatsinks presumably means using fans as well.

This does warrant a bit of thought at least wink
Sigurthr
Wed Nov 26 2014, 04:58PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
I was referring to the ground plane discussion going on =).

Yes, component layout is of course important to consider for the process of getting a working prototype. I suggest a single large heatsink and using either 1mil kapton tape (ala Steve Ward) or even high grade sil-pads (as I tend to do). Yes, there is quite a difference in thermal performance, but if the electronics and design are solid then getting a an acceptable stable thermal state shouldn't be too much of an issue.

To reference an appropriate build; my 1.5kW CW SSTC is an entirely hard switched half bridge with all bridge components on a single 4" x 4" x 1/4" aluminium heatsink that has 3/4" x 1/8" fins on about 60% of the radiating surface. It runs continuous duty with only a ~25CFM fan blowing over it. I used relatively inexpensive Sil-Pads for it too.
Ash Small
Thu Nov 27 2014, 04:54PM
Sigurthr wrote ...

I was referring to the ground plane discussion going on =).

Yes, component layout is of course important to consider for the process of getting a working prototype. I suggest a single large heatsink and using either 1mil kapton tape (ala Steve Ward) or even high grade sil-pads (as I tend to do). Yes, there is quite a difference in thermal performance, but if the electronics and design are solid then getting a an acceptable stable thermal state shouldn't be too much of an issue.

To reference an appropriate build; my 1.5kW CW SSTC is an entirely hard switched half bridge with all bridge components on a single 4" x 4" x 1/4" aluminium heatsink that has 3/4" x 1/8" fins on about 60% of the radiating surface. It runs continuous duty with only a ~25CFM fan blowing over it. I used relatively inexpensive Sil-Pads for it too.

Well, I've given this some thought, and the optimum setup, with the four components requiring heatsinks to be closest together on the board, and for the maximum amount of heatsinking, is to use four heatsinks, two on each side of the board.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible, so I may want to compromise here, and either use three heatsinks mounted reasonably close together on one side, or one heatsink, with insulating pads for the Schottky diodes, and mount the MOSFET directly onto the heatsink, as this will probably run hotter than the Schottkys.
Ash Small
Fri Nov 28 2014, 01:19PM
I've given this quite a bit of thought, and decided the best way forward from here is to not put everything on one board, but go for a 'modular' setup, with the driver on one board, and the power components on a separate, stacked, board.

Apart frm aiding swapping bits in and out, it also provides the shortest distance from the 'output' pin and gate resistor to the gate of the MOSFET, assuming these are directly above and below each other once the boards are stacked.

The sketch below, showing two heatsinks and fans, is what convinced me that a modular, stacked approach makes a lot more sense than just using one board for everything.

1417181225 3414 FT1630 Board
hen918
Fri Nov 28 2014, 05:58PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
You will need a low pass filter/smoother/snubber between the power components and the driver. I made that mistake last year - had a load of SMPS boards made; ended up having to cut the power trace to the driver and then bridge it with a 100uH inductor. I also put a little electrolytic on the driver side to form an LC low pass filter. Works now: I was getting basically random noise coming from the H-Bridge before!
Ash Small
Fri Nov 28 2014, 06:36PM
hen918 wrote ...

You will need a low pass filter/smoother/snubber between the power components and the driver. I made that mistake last year - had a load of SMPS boards made; ended up having to cut the power trace to the driver and then bridge it with a 100uH inductor. I also put a little electrolytic on the driver side to form an LC low pass filter. Works now: I was getting basically random noise coming from the H-Bridge before!

So the capacitor is in series with the inductor?

What value capacitor should I start with, assuming I use a 100uF inductor?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: