ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First SSTC design - Need some critique

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Jul 14 2014, 09:22PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
It will get hot when driving a bridge of transistor at hundreds of kHz... tongue

You can try decreasing the dissipation by connecting a resistor in series with its output. This will slow down the transitions somewhat, but you might find a compromise.
loneoceans
Mon Jul 14 2014, 09:31PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Indeed especially seeing how you're driving a full bridge with just one UCC. Might be a good idea to simply use a UCC27322/21 pair combination. Those are 9A drivers, instead of the 4A one you're using now. Not much changes to the circuit either.
DerStrom8
Mon Jul 14 2014, 09:35PM
DerStrom8 Registered Member #3704 Joined: Sun Feb 20 2011, 01:13PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

It will get hot when driving a bridge of transistor at hundreds of kHz... tongue

You can try decreasing the dissipation by connecting a resistor in series with its output. This will slow down the transitions somewhat, but you might find a compromise.

I was thinking that would be the case. I know the 555 even gets warm when running at high frequencies.

Just checking, did you see my edit to my previous post? The interrupter doesn't seem to be doing anything to the output. If I am not mistaken, the enable inputs of the 27425 are pulled-up to Vcc, I'm wondering if that may be causing it to run continuously. In which case, how is the enable even useful? The internal schematic can be found here: Link2

loneoceans wrote ...

Indeed especially seeing how you're driving a full bridge with just one UCC. Might be a good idea to simply use a UCC27322/21 pair combination. Those are 9A drivers, instead of the 4A one you're using now. Not much changes to the circuit either.

That's a good point. I have a TC4420 and a TC4429 for this reason exactly--they are rated at 6A each--but I would need some logic gates (AND and NAND) in order to get the enable option.

Now, here's another (probably stupid) question: Would there be any possibility to parallel multiple 27425s? I have never seen it done and I'm not sure if it's even plausible, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks,
Matt
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Jul 14 2014, 09:51PM
What are you using for the interrupter? It should have a push-pull (double ended) output.

You can parallel the 27425s.
DerStrom8
Mon Jul 14 2014, 09:59PM

What are you using for the interrupter? It should have a push-pull (double ended) output.

Ahh, well that would explain it. I've been using a simple square wave (0-5v) output from an arduino. So you're saying this wouldn't work? It would need to be +/- 5v?
Sigurthr
Mon Jul 14 2014, 10:24PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
You can use a simple single ended square wave just fine, you need a pull down resistor or a preceding stage which can sink current at low impedance. The UCC37322/21 pair have 100k internal pull ups so it isn't much of an issue to sink using internal output impedance of most logic chips, but a pull down resistor in the 1-10k range should work universally well. I don't remember the threshold voltage it needs for a HIGH on the enable line, but 4.5V is plenty I'm sure.

As above, that single chip will get hot driving a full bridge at low RF, especially running CW. On higher frequency coils I've made I've even paralleled up 2 each of the 9A drivers for just a half bridge.
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Jul 14 2014, 10:30PM
Well I don't like using pull up/down resistors in a noisy TC environment. A few kOhm is OK, but 100k is not.
DerStrom8
Mon Jul 14 2014, 10:46PM

Well I don't like using pull up/down resistors in a noisy TC environment. A few kOhm is OK, but 100k is not.

I believe he was saying that the built-in pull-up (as shown in the internal schematic that I posted a link to earlier) was 100k, and that a pull-down resistor of 1k would work just fine. I may end up doing that.

I am pretty well convinced that I'll be paralleling two 27425s, since that is what I have.

Thanks guys, you just simplified things. Just to clarify though, the interrupter didn't do anything to the output, but adding a pull-down resistor will likely solve the problem? I was wondering if that would help when I was testing earlier.

Cheers,
Matt
Sigurthr
Mon Jul 14 2014, 11:32PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Right, I am saying the chips have a built in internal 100k pull up resistor, so if you use a 1k pull down you are forming a voltage divider which will drop the enable pin voltage during the interrupter LOW state voltage to 1% of Vcc. This is only needed when the output impedance of the stage preceding the UCC chip doesn't have a low enough output impedance or can't sink enough current to bring the steady state voltage of the enable pin down below switching transition threshold. When the preceding stage can't bring the enable pin LOW after a HIGH you get a floating input, which due to the internal pull up the chip sees as a HIGH.
DerStrom8
Sun Jul 20 2014, 05:28PM
Hi guys,

This is a bit off-topic (but only slightly), as it is about a half-bridge instead of the full-bridge that I'm using to drive my coil, but I just picked up the following IGBT brick at the MIT electronics flea market:

Link2

Mine is actually the 100 D, but I can't seem to find the specific datasheet for it. This is the closest I could find.

My question is, would there be any major concerns about using this in a Tesla coil application? I'm a bit concerned about the recovery speed of the reverse diode, but I wanted to check with the experts to see what you guys think.

2ag66x0
23sht7t

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: