hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

uRADMonitor – Online remote radiation monitoring station

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sat Dec 08 2012, 12:18AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Patrick wrote ...

ive had good operation from the BMP085 device (in my drones), easy to program and use if its on a breakout board.

I'm not going to be monitoring barometric pressure here in Steyning, but may add a SID receiver in the future.
radhoo
Sat Dec 08 2012, 08:28AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I'll see what I can do with getting the pulses online with PicoLog or Daqarta when I am not too busy - perhaps I will be able to find time over the Christmas holidays, if I am lucky. smile
Stella, if waiting a little time is ok, I will probably be able to build another board in february 2013 which I'd be happy to send it to you. You've helped me a lot with my projects, and its the least I can do to say thanks. Until then, here on the forum we can discuss any possible improvements to incorporate in the new build. I'll add a few scope traces the next few days, to use as a starting point.
radhoo
Sat Dec 08 2012, 10:40AM
First snow:
300x199
Proud Mary
Sat Dec 08 2012, 12:12PM
radhoo wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

I'll see what I can do with getting the pulses online with PicoLog or Daqarta when I am not too busy - perhaps I will be able to find time over the Christmas holidays, if I am lucky. smile
Stella, if waiting a little time is ok, I will probably be able to build another board in february 2013 which I'd be happy to send it to you. You've helped me a lot with my projects, and its the least I can do to say thanks. Until then, here on the forum we can discuss any possible improvements to incorporate in the new build. I'll add a few scope traces the next few days, to use as a starting point.

That is very kind, Radu! Thank you! smile
Proud Mary
Sat Dec 08 2012, 02:41PM
Here is a useful paper on the methods used by the UK government's Department of Energy and Climate Change to measure radioactivity in the air and rainwater. Some of the methods are beyond the resources of most amateurs, but there is still plenty of useful information in it:

MONITORING OF RADIOACTIVITY
IN AIR AND RAINWATER IN THE UK

Link2
radhoo
Thu Jan 31 2013, 07:33PM
First unusual event has been logged here:

Link2

The debug data shows normal device behavior, so it's unlikely to be any malfunction here.

I just wonder what might have happened during those 6 minutes???

Proud Mary
Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:17PM
radhoo wrote ...

First unusual event has been logged here:

Link2

The debug data shows normal device behavior, so it's unlikely to be any malfunction here.

I just wonder what might have happened during those 6 minutes???

If it is not an artifact of system or experimenter error, it certainly is very interesting. Why not see if there are any time correlations with online magnetic observatories in Eastern Europe, solar activity and VLF observatories? The Italian experimenters at Radio Waves Below 22 kHz Link2 may have data to share with you too.
Proud Mary
Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:45PM
Another idea about your counting spike.

If your GM tube is high off the ground, and not contained in an EM shield with a low impedance Earth connection, it is possible that a passing electric storm overhead might have caused a high potential difference to develop. This might possibly push the tube to the upper end of the Geiger plateau, where the slope tilts sharply upwards on its way to the continuous conduction band.
radhoo
Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:46PM
First thing I did , was to compare the readings to those collected by a friend of mine, in Oradea, at aprox. 200km north from my location. His readings, didn't record any abnormal variations: Link2

There is always a chance of something going wrong , but for that there are two questions:
1) why now, after 3 months of almost constant indications
2) how would such a malfunction manifest itself, since the voltage on tube remained close to 400V , and all the other parameters where in normal intervals. This spike lasted for 6 minutes, as shown in the debug data I posted, than everything went back to normal.
This is inconsistent with a technical issue scenario (like tube failure, avalanche discharges, etc).

LE: no storm involved. Today was a beautiful sunny day. The light intensity chart also jumped close to maximum:
Link2
radhoo
Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:55PM
Here's a comparison chart, between CPM values (cyan) and LUMINOSITY(red) for the last 14 days. Integration (value average) set to a 2hours interval:

1359665700 1938 FT111231 2weeks 31ian2013 Cpm Lumi

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: