Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First tesla coil thread - Dual Mot

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
MrFlatox
Sun Sept 22 2013, 08:14AM Print
MrFlatox Registered Member #9349 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2013, 08:50AM
Hi 4HV,

I started building my first tesla coil, and I have a few questions.

So far I have built the topload, secondary, primary, control box, tesla coil base. The power supply, the rotary spark gap and the main capacitor bank are missing. All the parts already built or planned to be soon were made according to a simulation with javaTC. So far so good.

For the power supply, I plan on going with a dual MOT supply, with no ballast. Here is my first question : Would it be better to go straight AC with just the two MOTs in series or do some kind of voltage doubler and go with DC (I already have enough microwave oven diodes and caps to do the multiplier). In the second case, I would need a charging inductor (another MOT might work ?) and a de q-ing diode. I know that both concepts work, and I am wondering, as a beginner, what is the best one to go with ?

Second question, about the rotary spark gap. If I understood correctly, its main paramater is the achievable BPS, and the dwell time. The dwell time must be as low as possible, or in other words, as close as possible to the energy transfer time (javatc) ? Right ? So why most of the RSG uses four electrodes on a disc instead of two ? Dwell time is divided by two if the speed of the motor is increases by two right ? So... Why ?

I have a universal brushed motor (160W 230V 20.000RPM) driven by a triac based variator, but the RPM might be too high for my appliccation, I may use an angle grinder instead (also triac driven) to power up the RSG.

Thank you for your time and input.
MrFlatox
Sun Sept 22 2013, 05:57PM
What it looks like so far :

redruM69
Mon Sept 23 2013, 06:04AM
redruM69 Registered Member #31557 Joined: Tue Aug 06 2013, 02:38AM
My 5.25" coil here:
Link2

Its running dual mots, no ballast, no filter, no DC doubler. Just straight AC.
The MOT's are wired parallel primaries with series secondaries with opposing phases.

I occasionally see 60" streamers out of this thing :D

Voltage doubling is not required or desired in a ARSGTC as you can gap your electrodes very close with no issues. My gaps are about 1mm per side.

MrFlatox
Mon Sept 23 2013, 06:26AM
Thanks for the input,

I know both AC and DC designs work (I contacted you on YT), but my question is : What is the best between AC and DC to have the bigger "bang for the buck" ?

An example of a great working dual mot TC with doubler on this forum is here : Link2

Going from AC to DC essentially means that you have 4 times more volts with DC (with doubler and charging choke), but obviously less current, so you might not be able to put a main capacitor as big as you could go with straight AC. How does it affect the results (streamers) ?
redruM69
Mon Sept 23 2013, 03:20PM
Well, you could also go AC to get it running, then add a doubler in to see how it compares. I'm curious to your results.
MrFlatox
Mon Sept 23 2013, 04:53PM
That sounds good, I might try both solutions and see the differences if any.
Tetris
Wed Sept 25 2013, 03:03AM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
Mmm don't be like me. If you say you're going to build it, build it. Most people have the trouble of the parents yelling at you for building a Tesla Coil. My parents are yelling at me because I've been dragging mine out for years...
MrFlatox
Thu Sept 26 2013, 07:37AM
Any thoughts on the dwell time thing ?

MrFlatox wrote ...

Second question, about the rotary spark gap. If I understood correctly, its main paramater is the achievable BPS, and the dwell time. The dwell time must be as low as possible, or in other words, as close as possible to the energy transfer time (javatc) ? Right ? So why most of the RSG uses four electrodes on a disc instead of two ? Dwell time is divided by two if the speed of the motor is increases by two right ? So... Why ?

Thank you for your time and input.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Sept 26 2013, 09:57PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Four offers more balance for the flywheel. You could do two, but the speed at which the wheel turns could make things dangerous and unbalanced.

All in all, the exacts are not too critical. I was just doing a basic functionality test with my coil, with the wrong sized secondary and it still performs well enough, its just not optimal. (low by 6 mH)

make sure your strike rail has a decent gap. You don't want that to be a shorted turn.
redruM69
Fri Sept 27 2013, 04:21PM
MrFlatox wrote ...

To be honest, I didn't put any thought into calculations when I built my RSG. I completely winged it based on what I saw others doing. Its a 5" phenolic disc, 1/2" thick. It has 4x 1/8" tungsten flying electrodes, and 2x 1/4" stationary electrodes with some small heatsinks thrown on them. I use a large DC motor with a variac connected through a full bridge rectifier to control speed.
Regardless of lack of calculations, it performs excellent and gets the job done.
I've never tried with only 2 electrodes installed to decrease dwell, but I don't know if I want to spin my disc that fast. The disc is not that well balanced and things would get scary.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: