Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

smaller coils (and a 12MHz target)

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
ragnar
Tue Aug 08 2006, 03:05AM Print
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
hi all,
just wanted to post a couple of pics of what I've been working on lately:

The "smaller" coil (with the neat primary) runs at ~3MHz and would have been drawing ~150W in this photo.

The "larger" coil (with the thicker wire) runs at ~6.5MHz and was drawing the same power.

Each of these is a stepping stone to a high power 12MHz coil. The former will be thick-walled Teflon tube, because Acrylic and PVC suck.

Both use a single IRFP450 running in class-E configuration with resonant-circuit gatedrive.
1155006355 63 FT0 3mhzsmall

1155006355 63 FT0 65mhzsmall
Tue Aug 08 2006, 03:40AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Looks good BP suprised

Will you be the first one to beat EVR's 10.1MHz sstc?

A tip for those primaries... As you are winding put a small amount of superglue (CA glue) on the coilform then wind the wire. Then you don't need those wireties tongue You can also wrap the form in waxed paper and use more glue (it works a lot better if you have several layers that you can glue to eachother) and you can have a formerless coil too.

Keep it up!

BTW, did you ever get audiomodulation going on the OMFGSTFUHFSSTC?
ragnar
Tue Aug 08 2006, 08:56PM
Ya, I didn't have any cyanoacrylate at school, I usually superglue my primaries and remove the former =P

This also wouldn't have happened if I hadn't dug through my stash of "dead" MOSFETs and found one that did indeed work. I'm almost completely out ^^

My gatedrivers get warm, but the heatsink on the IRFP450 stays cold.

Just yesterday I found some heatsinks big enough to allow me to try audio by amplitude modulation. There goes my efficiency wink
Marko
Tue Aug 08 2006, 09:35PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Bother. I didn't do much of work on my Class E coil lately.

(Rather having some 'fun' with holidays. :p )

How many mosfet's have you fried yet bp?

I think the 'Anticoil' is only thing that can have reasonable Q at that high frequencies, and also cooling is much better.
I use to fill a PVC ube with poliester resin to prevent it from falling apart once it gets stinking hot, but then connection under poliester usually goes open ill

Part Scavenger
Thu Aug 10 2006, 12:23AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Sweet BP! That thing looks great!
ragnar
Thu Aug 10 2006, 11:15AM

I'm not sure which impacted more, dielectric heating of the PVC former or I^2.R losses on the skimpy 0.15mm copper wire.

Either way, I now have thick-walled teflon PFA primary and secondary formers. It has a nice low loss tangent, and I'm winding the bugger with 0.5mm NOT-solder-through enamelled copper wire.

The best I can do for the primary is 1mm thick solid copper with 1mm-thick (radius) PVC insulation.

Can't wait to wind, terminate, and fire 'em up.
1155208502 63 FT14290 Teflonpfacut2

1155208502 63 FT14290 Teflonpfacut
Marko
Thu Aug 10 2006, 01:04PM
*shutter*

1155215052 89 FT14290 Antiformer

lol...
ragnar
Thu Aug 10 2006, 01:54PM
LOL, trying to drop a hint at me? =P

If you really want, I'll send you my artwork for the antiformer. I went to meticulous detail to ensure that each slot was raised 1/8th of the turnpitch, and that kind of thing. It was quite elegant, if it wasn't so vain. ^^

On more practical matters, I've wound the first teflon former with ~220 turns of the 0.5mm copper. Pretty. =)

1155218074 63 FT14290 Teflonpfaform1

1155218074 63 FT14290 Teflonpfaform2
Marko
Thu Aug 10 2006, 02:16PM
Hm, now you stole my idea about winding HF coils on round formers.. partly at least =)

Longer ago I tought about using a big multifilar braid of wires wound around a pvc tube, but that would require large number of separate wire sources, and twisting few tens of them together in wanted length would also be a pain.

Winding it the way you did on last pic is easier but I doubt you'l get a big Q increase with low number of very thick wires (you can always try it).

I want some really low impedance here, maybe even a possibility to drive e resoantor directly without a primary on reasonable voltages.

The funny wooden thing I had here is dipped in poliester for fixing, but plywood is ofcourse too chippy to make fine edge carvings. I didn't really care how is it going to look afterall (since I had no chance to make something similar out of acrylic like your form).
It was raather aresult of boredom (poliprojectitis) than some very practical use.

More serious thing I can try would be using some kind of mould and fiberglassing it, but that was too much work :p

ragnar
Thu Aug 10 2006, 02:32PM
wrote ...
Hm, now you stole my idea about winding HF coils on round formers.. partly at least
confused

Done number two... the great thing about my coils is they take so little time to wind =-D

I've got no idea what frequency these'll resonate at. I just hope it's less than 6.5, because that was a little tricky, and tweaking four of them at once won't be fun. =P
1155220366 63 FT14290 Teflonpfaform3

1155220366 63 FT14290 Teflonpfaform4
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: