Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun Questions

Move Thread LAN_403
pauleddy
Tue Nov 02 2010, 10:22PM
pauleddy Registered Member #2909 Joined: Wed Jun 09 2010, 12:31AM
i use tugstan switch they do great, but my big bank main switch is huge (it waigh over 50kg, 3phase 800A 400V power breacker) , but you can find tungstan contacks from old cuircuit breackers 20A
Saz43
Tue Nov 02 2010, 11:39PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Navrit Bal wrote ...

Please ignore my last post, I have been offered use of a 'HT' supply, which I gathered is a 'high tension' variable power supply by my school, although somewhat reluctantly because I'm not supposed to use anything over 50 Volts, for health and safety reasons of course. I absolutely can't blaim them for this but it can be quite annoying at times mistrust ...

Anyway, I'm starting off with 1 photoflash capacitor, the type I previously mentioned. I will make the test coil on the day, there will be something lying around cheesey I'll use the 3 SCRs in parallel as described for this but if it doesn't work, I'll have to critically dampen it... just for testing or make a quick V wedge aluminium switch, as that will be readily available.

Just as a heads up, you may need to parallel a few to get results at that voltage. One photoflash capacitor charged to 50V is only 0.15J (assuming 120uf), which might not even move your projectile. Either way I'm glad to see your nearing the build stage, keep us posted with the results and be safe!
Navrit Bal
Tue Nov 02 2010, 11:43PM
Navrit Bal Registered Member #3323 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 03:19PM
Its funny that you should mention tungsten, I have these Link2 already! Does anyone have any ideas about using these as a mechanical switch?
Navrit Bal
Tue Nov 02 2010, 11:46PM
Saz43 wrote ...

Just as a heads up, you may need to parallel a few to get results at that voltage. One photoflash capacitor charged to 50V is only 0.15J (assuming 120uf), which might not even move your projectile. Either way I'm glad to see your nearing the build stage, keep us posted with the results and be safe!

I'm using 330V 160uF, so that's 8.7Joules I believe, sorry for the misunderstanding cheesey
Artikbot
Wed Nov 03 2010, 08:39AM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
The only idea coming to mind is using a fuse socket and connecting it on and off every time, but would be kind of slow.

Maybe the same thing, but with a mouse trap attached to the tungsten bar, and just SLAP it onto the socket?
Barry
Wed Nov 03 2010, 02:01PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Navrit Bal wrote ...

I'm using 330V 160uF, so that's 8.7Joules I believe, sorry for the misunderstanding cheesey
Is there any chance you can parallel a couple of these capacitors? I recommend at least 15 joules stored energy, minimum. Preferably more.

The thinking goes like this ... If you have 15J stored energy and do a good build, then after tune-up you might have 1-2% energy conversion efficiency. This yields about (15j)*(0.02) = 0.3J kinetic energy. How much velocity is that? Use the equation KE = 1/2 m v^2, and solve for velocity given your mass and energy. For sake of example, if we assume a very lightweight projectile of 0.1 grams, the math says you can get 2.4 m/s. On a good day. But before you tune and optimize things, it's unlikely the projectile will move very much, with only 15J stored energy.

So, connect a few capacitors together, if possible. Keep wires very short, solder connections, use heavy gauge wire, and have fun!

Cheers, Barry
One day soon, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook will join together and be called YouTwitFace.
Navrit Bal
Wed Nov 03 2010, 07:27PM
I'll put at least 2 in parallel then, the reason why I'm starting with low energy levels is because my supervisor doesn't want me to start at the high energy levels. I'll use part of a paper-clip tomorrow, I'll use bits of paper-clips from 0.1 to 0.5 roughly, but I'll see what happens.

Also, since no one has answered this, wouldn't the best wire be made out of thick wire? I'm thinking this because it minimises insulation, resistance and inductance, are these properties not desirable?
I'm taking the tungsten rods to school tomorrow, I'll devise something then...
Saz43
Wed Nov 03 2010, 09:10PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Navrit Bal wrote ...

I'll put at least 2 in parallel then, the reason why I'm starting with low energy levels is because my supervisor doesn't want me to start at the high energy levels. I'll use part of a paper-clip tomorrow, I'll use bits of paper-clips from 0.1 to 0.5 roughly, but I'll see what happens.

Also, since no one has answered this, wouldn't the best wire be made out of thick wire? I'm thinking this because it minimises insulation, resistance and inductance, are these properties not desirable?
I'm taking the tungsten rods to school tomorrow, I'll devise something then...

You are correct to some extent.

Resistance IS bad, it leads to more energy being wasted as heat (Waste Heat = P = I^2*R). However if you resistance is TOO low, you might exceed the current rating of your switch and destroy it.

Inductance isn't necessarily bad. Obviously, if your inductance is too high, your current pulse will be wildly under-damped and you'll accomplish nothing. But if its to low, your current pulse will be too fast and your projectile might saturate from having all of the energy dumped into it too fast. You have to balance these factors in your design, and that's why Barry's simulators are so valuable.

You are certainly correct about insulation. The closer your coil turns are to the projectile, the more intense the magnetic field will be at the center. Insulation, although necessary, spaces out the turns and hampers efficiency. That's why most designers opt for magnetic wire, since it has such thin insulation.
Navrit Bal
Wed Nov 03 2010, 09:18PM
Is the ideal pulse time roughly 1-8 milliseconds? I've seen this suggestion somewhere, but I can't actually remember where...
Barry
Fri Nov 05 2010, 01:27PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Navrit Bal wrote ...

Is the ideal pulse time roughly 1-8 milliseconds? I've seen this suggestion somewhere, but I can't actually remember where...
You might have seen it on my Estimating Timing page, where it uses the projectile length and a guess at exit speed to make a swag (stupid wild-ass guess) at timing. It is based on a couple extremely crude simplifying assumptions, but it seems to work and the math is simple.

Run the numbers again with your situation to find out what you can expect.

Since the actual timing is determined by the LC time constant, all you have to do is build it toward the long end of the estimated time, and then tune up the coil by gradually removing turns. Fewer turns -> lower inductance -> shorter firing time.

Cheers, Barry
I want to be the BEST DAD that an ungrateful brat has ever bitched about!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: