Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun Questions

Move Thread LAN_403
Navrit Bal
Mon Feb 07 2011, 06:04PM
Navrit Bal Registered Member #3323 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 03:19PM
Thanks for reminding me about your FEMM section, now that I have got FEMM working on my computer, this is a really useful page, mostly for how you have explained things so clearly.
Navrit Bal
Tue Feb 15 2011, 11:02PM
Depending on when the Variable PSU arrives, I might be firing on Thursday, or at least trying to anyway.

Before then I will upload the circuit diagram as it it, and I would like help/suggestions for that.
Navrit Bal
Fri Feb 25 2011, 12:33PM
Here the variable PSU is, customs charged me nearly £20 for VAT and handling D:

1298636951 3323 FT99411 Ultracompact Multiplier Back Inside 1298636951 3323 FT99411 Ultracompact Multiplier Front Inside 1298636951 3323 FT99411 Ultracompact Multiplier Case 1298636951 3323 FT99411 Snap027 Any suggestions/errors? By the way, the PSU has a switch in built, that one there is just for show. Tell me if more details are needed. This was made using XCircuit.
Navrit Bal
Thu Mar 03 2011, 07:00PM
Today, I am quite sure that when I tested the PSU above, at school the multimeter possibly wasn't connected to the PSU output terminals particularly securely and a pretty big puff of white smoke forced its way out and since the blue LED indicating that the voltage was being regulated is now not lighting up.

I tested it at home before and it worked fine then... D:
Navrit Bal
Mon Mar 14 2011, 06:10PM
When my replacement capacitors arrive, I'll replace the blown one with a replacement and I'll tell you how that goes with testing and so on...
Barry
Tue Mar 15 2011, 04:12PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Navrit Bal wrote ...

Any suggestions/errors? This was made using XCircuit.

The SCR is drawn with an unusual symbol. Normally the triggering goes from gate to cathode, and the SCR is a three-terminal device. Okay maybe that's just how XCircuit wants to draw it, but I just thought I'd check.

Cheers, Barry
SHAMPOO WARNING: I figured out why I've gained weight. The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says, "for extra volume and body." Going to start using Dawn dish washing soap. It says, "dissolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove."
Navrit Bal
Tue Mar 15 2011, 06:03PM
No, don't worry it was wrong, since I wasn't sure I just went with the physical wiring of the device, here is what I hope is the correct layout.

1300212151 3323 FT99411 Snap028
Navrit Bal
Mon Apr 18 2011, 05:01PM
I know I haven't posted recently, but I have been working on the coilgun quite a lot over the past 2 weeks and I'm near a firing test. Everything has been tested separately all that is left is the circuit as a whole.

1303136006 3323 FT99411 Snap043

I have been discussing this with Mr Abdullah and he was saying that the anti-parallel diode might cause massive suck-back. Since basically every other coilgun design which I have seen uses an anti-parallel diode, I was wondering whether anyone else has anything to suggest on this.

Using Link2 I can see what he means, however since the inductance would be changing throughout and energy would be lost by various means, surely it would therefore be more complex than that. Can anyone offer an opinion on this as well?

EDIT: Also I just tested at 5V and 50V, and when I tested at 5V the voltage jumped up to 9V and stayed there. At 50V when I turned the switch on, there was no voltage change at all. The SCR worked as expected when it was not connected with the exact same triggering circuit. Why is is that Barry's Mk 2 + 3 work but mine does not, for this section, they are identical...

With another test at less than 9V, the voltage did not jump up again as before...
Barry
Tue Apr 19 2011, 04:09PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Navrit Bal wrote ...

I have been discussing this with Mr Abdullah and he was saying that the anti-parallel diode might cause massive suck-back. Since basically every other coilgun design which I have seen uses an anti-parallel diode, I was wondering whether anyone else has anything to suggest on this.
If you compare two identical coilguns, one with an anti-parallel diode and one without, you will find that the diode extends the time that current flows in the coil. The amount of time increase is longer for very-low-resistance coils.

The first question becomes: Is it a problem that timing becomes longer with a diode?

Generally speaking, you can adjust the timing through several means, so the bottom line is that once your coilgun is working you'll tune it up for best performance. You will be testing with various voltages, projectile length, projectile mass, and probably even the number of turns on the coil. I think you'll keep adjusting it until you don't get the DSE (dreaded suck-back effect). smile So, no, the effect of a diode upon timing is not a problem.

The next question is: Is an anti-parallel diode really required?

This is where opinions may reasonably differ. It is well-known that electrolytic capacitors may be damaged if their voltage goes negative. To avoid damage we should design something to avoid the situation; adding an anti-parallel diode is the cheapest and easiest solution by far. Solutions include a V-switch design, a diagonal half-bridge design, and other more complicated designs.

My own approach is to not use anything to prevent negative voltages. My thinking is that the situation is very temporary; if my capacitor gets a negative voltage it will decay to zero in a short time anyway through the coil resistance. It's a conscious part of my experiments. I am hoping to find out if this is short enough to avoid damage. Indeed, I really want to learn how long these electrolytic caps will survive when mistreated this way. So far none of my caps have failed, but then again I've only use low energy shots and haven't yet hammered them into their limits.

Bottom line is that electrolytic capacitors will last longer in coilguns with an anti-parallel diode. How much longer is uncertain.

Navrit Bal wrote ...

Using www.falstad.com I can see what he means, however since the inductance would be changing throughout and energy would be lost by various means, surely it would therefore be more complex than that. Can anyone offer an opinion on this as well?
I didn't fully understand the Falstad link, sorry. I like to use this RLC simulator and turn on "capacitor voltage". But then again my simulator doesn't show the effect of a diode. (One of these years I should fix that, lol.)

You can ignore the change in inductance; simply changing inductance alone does not change the total energy in the system.
You can ignore the energy that's converted to kinetic energy; the conversion rate is so low (a few percent) that other effects are much more dominant.

Navrit Bal wrote ...

EDIT: Also I just tested at 5V and 50V, and when I tested at 5V the voltage jumped up to 9V and stayed there. At 50V when I turned the switch on, there was no voltage change at all. The SCR worked as expected when it was not connected with the exact same triggering circuit. Why is is that Barry's Mk 2 + 3 work but mine does not, for this section, they are identical...

With another test at less than 9V, the voltage did not jump up again as before...
It sounds like you have some kind of circuit problem going on. If the capacitor voltage stays high, then there's likely a problem in the SCR or its triggering. Try temporarily replacing the coil with a simple resistance. An ordinary light bulb works great for this test, even at 300+ vdc, you should see it briefly light up and go dim, and measure zero voltage at the end.

It can also be very helpful to build a small test jig for your SCR. This is a good way to tell if the SCR works at all, which is otherwise really quite hard to figure out. A simple test stand could be a 12v automotive battery in series with the SCR and an ordinary light bulb. When triggered, the light should glow dimly and stay on until you disconnect the battery.

Cheers, Barry
Sitting in front of my computer, sculpting my forearm muscles.
Navrit Bal
Tue Apr 19 2011, 04:39PM
I will test the SCR again as you suggested, if it is broken I can swap it for up to 2 other identical ones. Thanks for the other information.

EDIT : there was actually just a loose connection.... I'll test firing again.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: