All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Long pulse DRSSTC pictures

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Sun May 21 2006, 06:53PM Print
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I always liked the look of the old SSTC sparks, how they are so thick and gnarled. So to achieve that effect with a DRSSTC, ive run it in single shot mode, and 5-8mS pulses. The primary current peaks to 900A+ after about .75mS, then decays to around 150A for the last 3-5mS where it stays relatively constant. With careful tuning, i managed to make the primary current *decrease* with ground strikes. Without careful tuning, the primary current will *increase* with ground strikes, and hold over 1000A for many mS!! The DC filter caps are charged to about 220VDC, and are left with about 60VDC when a single shot is over... that means 245J is used up in a single bang!! The target is set to 36", but a few of the sparks reached out to 40" and one even hit a controller on my shelf at 48". Im already thinking about how to get even bigger sparks cheesey . I find it particularly interesting that so many branches are formed on a single shot (all pictures are single shots).

Pictures are posted here:

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/DRlongpulse/

Enjoy!
Marko
Sun May 21 2006, 07:10PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Wow, I also like The Hot arcs shades
I must admit it doesn' look mighty like 100% CW bit it's still absolutely awesome.
Great work!
Steve Ward
Sun May 21 2006, 07:17PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I still want a 10kW CW system wink .

I guess i will just keep going till something blows up, then back off a little (normal proceedure). Though, i think a coil like this could really benefit from a higher Z tank circuit. Im considering building a whole new DRSSTC specifically for this type of operation.
Sun May 21 2006, 07:31PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Wow, very impresisve!

Kind of hard to imagine that the energy used for that streamer is the same as a a 1g projectile going at like mach 2 amazed
HV Enthusiast
Sun May 21 2006, 08:34PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

The DC filter caps are charged to about 220VDC, and are left with about 60VDC when a single shot is over... that means 245J is used up in a single bang!! The target is set to 36", but a few of the sparks reached out to 40" and one even hit a controller on my shelf at 48". Im already thinking about how to get even bigger sparks

Nice work Steve - cool photos. Looks like you just accidentally stumbled on one of the biggest challenges with solid state radar systems these days, the elusive long pulse. Anyways, the challenge of course is to maintain voltage across the entire pulse to deliver constant energy through the entire pulse.

I propose the next part of your experimentation would be to achieve the long pulse, but with maintaining constant voltage across the entire pulse with constant meaning a few voltage drop maximum at the bridge rails. I'd be curious to see how that compares with what you are doing now.

To do this, you could simply make a discrete linear regulator (read that as new COOL project!) and use a fairly large capacitor bank (size you can determine with simulation) to drive it. Say charge the capacitor bank to maybe 400V or whatever it takes to maintain headroom on the regulator across the entire pulse, and regulate at 220V at the input to your bridge. With enough bandwidth, this should work quite well. Sure, it will be pretty inefficient, but for a single non-repetivie pulse, should be fine for experimentation.

BTW, i really hope you weren't doing this on your 21st Birthday weekend . . . You should be out drinking your brains out and letting loose . . . cheesey Or at least spending all day sunday in bed with a massive hangover !

Dan

Terry Fritz
Sun May 21 2006, 11:58PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
VERY cool! Steve!! amazed

I see the corkscrew effect shows up very well here. Almost unimaginable single shot power!!!

Much to ponder....

BTW, i really hope you weren't doing this on your 21st Birthday weekend . . . You should be out drinking your brains out and letting loose . . . Or at least spending all day sunday in bed with a massive hangover !

I did that... Your better off staying home wink You can always turn into a rock star like Steve C. latter cheesey

I spent all weekend working on MOT charging systems...

Cheers,

Terry
HV Enthusiast
Mon May 22 2006, 01:01AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
I wonder if both of the following would exhibit the same cork screw behaviour.

1. Approaching CW (low PRF, long pulsewidth)
2. Approaching CW (very high PRF, short pulsewidth)

In either case, the system is approaching CW mode of operation, but short vs. long pulsewidth. Could be another interesting experiment.

Part Scavenger
Mon May 22 2006, 02:47AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Geez, don't encourage him to waste brain cells. If he's got extra, please send them to me! Your's are top quality Steve!

That's pretty cool stuff with the hot arcs! Love the pics.
Tesladownunder
Mon May 22 2006, 04:34PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Impressive at 245j/bang. This is what 2500J/bang is like cheesey

(with the little help of a very thin wire to start things off..)

Peter

1148315654 10 FT9914 Pulsecapexplodingwire35g2kjnoinductor
coaster_chris
Mon May 22 2006, 05:48PM
coaster_chris Registered Member #359 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 09:27AM
@TDU
*SIGH* You and your big caps.... tongue wink

Steve, that are for shure some realy impressive streamers! What a length for a DRSSTC! Well done m8! shades

Chris
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: