All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My Santa Cruz V10 e-bike

Move Thread LAN_403
Mates
Thu Oct 14 2010, 10:56PM Print
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
Hi guys,
I had a gap in posting here. It is mainly because there was a summer time and I was doing everything else but being closed indoors.

Here is my recent project a bit far from Tesla coils, but still a lot of electric stuff. I rebuilt my e-bike completely, now I'm using great frame from Santa Cruz V10 - not the newest one but almost unused when I got it.

I also bought new controller which is much more "clever" than the old one. It allows recuperation and it can be hacked! The result of the hack is suction of 60A from the battery (48V LiFePO4) at the peak power which gives the motor three times bigger power. Once I installed it for the first time I immediately destroyed the fork's bottom ends and almost killed my self when the wheel run out cheesey I had to solve this problem and I did it once and forever (some heavy steel work is holding the motor now).

The bike is providing me something which is really hard to describe. I'm free. I mean totally free. No limits, no control... amazed I have some serious bike tracks in hard terrain not so far from home so I go biking almost everyday, actually every night ( I have 10W 870lm white LED torch so I see like during the day)

So I will keep this thread alive, because now I have plans in increasing the battery voltage (I found some people on the internet pushing 96V into the same motor!). My goal is to increase the speed, because now is only 40Km/h which sucks (not in the terrain, but in the traffic)

Any questions welcomed
Cheers Mates
1287096809 1025 FT0 Bike2

1287096809 1025 FT0 Bike1
Steve Conner
Fri Oct 15 2010, 09:51AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
What a waste of a V10! wink

At least make it rear wheel drive so you can do donuts.

Now I think of it though, the V10 frame has a bolt-through rear axle, it would be a hassle getting a motor to fit that. But it's worth a thought, the back end could withstand the torque better than the front does, and it would free up the front for a large disc brake.
Mates
Fri Oct 15 2010, 12:07PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

At least make it rear wheel drive so you can do donuts.

Hi Steve, I knew you will post an answer wink

Running the front wheel has multiple advantages:
1) Easy replacement: I can easily replace only the fork with another front wheel, remove the battery and in 10minutes I have regular V10 DH
2) Better driving options: That’s the same difference you can feel by driving a car with propelled front and rear wheels. In a mud or snow this is something really special. Moreover with your legs in action you get a regular 2WD.
3) You can drive into very steep hills without the risk of being capsized

It would be nice to have a disk brake on the front wheel. Newer version of the motor already has this option embed Link2

Cheers
Steve Conner
Sun Oct 17 2010, 03:48PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Mates wrote ...

1) Easy replacement: I can easily replace only the fork with another front wheel, remove the battery and in 10minutes I have regular V10 DH
2) Moreover with your legs in action you get a regular 2WD.

OK, I'm convinced smile You have the best of both worlds there.

If only there was some way to have the electric front wheel take you to the top of the mountain, then you could leave it at the top, ride down as an ordinary DH bike, and somehow magically the motor would be waiting for you at the bottom again. tongue

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: