Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SCR Triggering

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Sat May 20 2006, 12:44AM Print
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I am getting close to building my first electrlytic/scr powered launcher (induction). So far all my launchers have used maxwell caps and spark gaps. My problem is I dont have the spec sheet on my SCR's, and no one here was able to find any info on them either (atleast a while ago when I posted the part #). I am not sure how much the triggering requirements very from one SCR to another. Where would be a good starting point? Are SCR's voltage or current triggered? And do they require a resistor on the gate? Any help here would be appreciated. I plan on making a prototype launcher in the next few weeks. However I am putting in long hours at work lately and also starting building a quarter shrinker so it might take a while....
Wilson
Sat May 20 2006, 02:27AM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
SCRs are current triggered. No including a gate resistor leads to the gate passing excessive current and dying. The large usually require 200-300mA gate trigger current
If you are using multiple SCRs in parallel, i would recommed that each should have its own gate resistor, as to aid current sharing somewhat.

Good luck,
Wilson
Quantum Singularity
Sat May 20 2006, 04:32AM
Sounds good. So 2 AA batteries and a 10 ohm resistor gives me 300mA without any other circuit resistance. But is there internal resistance in the gate? Or a voltage drop across it when on? I assume the proper R value would be influenced by these?

Another thing I was thinking... would it be better to put the launcher coil in series with the scr between the cap + and scr anode rather than between the scr cathode and ground? Since I assume the gate trigger curcuit must be grounded then the cathode should probably be direct to ground too - or the gate may float up to a high V when the circuit fires? Does this sound right?
Dr. Shark
Sat May 20 2006, 09:57AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
You want to check this thread on the old board: Link2
Look for the circuit Texasrailgunner has posted, you can't get better than that.
Steve Conner
Sat May 20 2006, 12:34PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, there is an internal resistance and a voltage drop, both in series, on the gate. Circuits I've seen tend to use a 12-24V supply with a 10-100 ohm series resistor for the triggering. So rather like a current source.
Dr. Shark
Sat May 20 2006, 04:03PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
I usually dont argue with Steve, but here I feel I have to. While it is perfectly acceptable to trigger an SCR like that in "normal" duty, with a pulse rise time in the order of 10s of ms, for an induction coil gun you could hardly do worse. You need to hit the gate with a pulse in the 100s of amperes, to kick the device into conduction as quick as possible.
Electroholic
Sat May 20 2006, 06:52PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
in my CG, i discharge a capacitor which was charged to 9v, with zener to clamp the voltage within 5.1v, no current limiting resistor. scr was a SKKT132 12E
130a cont.
4.7ka 10ms
at 1.2kv
Quantum Singularity
Sun May 21 2006, 04:51AM
I checked out that link to the old forum and I didnt realize how complex triggering an scr can be! I was expecting to use some batteries, a switch, and a resistor. Think I'll try the simple approach first and if I have troubles might try some of the more complex circuits.
FastMHz
Wed May 24 2006, 05:27PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
I think some of these suggestions, while electronically sound, may be overcomplicating the whole thing a bit. In my 3.5kj induction launchers, with 6 SCRs in parallel, I'm using 2 AA batteries with a 10ohm resistor to each gate. It fires reliably and powerfully every time.

Here's my project page: Link2

Scroll down to see my spreadsheet. I'm pretty sure my SCRs are working properly with the efficiencies I'm getting. I also know that just 3 in parallel are enough to fire my launcher, since I was using just 3 for a while when I decided to add 3 more for good measure.

Now things are most likely a bit different for different SCRs and their intended purpose. The SKKH SemiPacks I have seem to be a great match for induction launchers.
Steve Conner
Wed May 24 2006, 05:49PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I don't have a problem with what joe is saying. I've seen circuits for pulsed power applications that charge a fairly big capacitor to a few hundred volts, and use an IGBT to dump it into the SCR gate, through maybe a 1 ohm non-inductive resistor. >_< You might think you could use a second smaller SCR, but in fact you need an IGBT to stand the high di/dt. So it all gets complex.

I guess I don't really use SCRs in pulse applications: I've only used them for phase control of 50Hz AC power in the 10s of amps. I always use a small inductor in series with the AC line, to limit the di/dt that the SCRs can ever see at turn-on.

To trigger my SCRs, I used a ferrite cored pulse transformer whose primary was pinged by a MOSFET and whose secondary was connected to the gate through a resistor. I put an antiparallel diode across the gate to protect it from kickback when the transformer core reset. I only needed the transformer to isolate everything from the AC line for safety.

For one 90A SCR brick I used, the datasheet said to trigger it with 20V through a 20 ohm resistor, or something, so I wound the pulse transformer to give about 20V. It was a SKKT... brick similar to what a few of you are using, so ironically, I guess I'm actually driving the gates harder than FastMHz does, even though it's not for pulse duty. He only has 3V which is not really enough imo. I did trigger those same SCRs with a 9V battery, 10 ohm resistor, and a microswitch, with anode currents up to 100A peak, but again there was an inductor in circuit to limit di/dt.

For some smaller TO-220 SCRs I tried, it was enough to use 12V and a 100 ohm resistor or thereabouts.

I guess the only thing I would worry about in pulse applications is triggering the SCR with a mechanical switch whose contacts could bounce and cause a weak gate pulse. Or, hitting the gate too hard and trashing it >_< Again the SCR datasheet is your friend, it should always tell what voltage and series resistance to use.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: