Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Foil arc-cutter

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Fri May 19 2006, 06:11AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
well yes it can happen, i tried it with thin pencil lead and the lead glowed bright red and exploded....

Not inside the pencil, I tried it.

When etching foil spark is on microscopic level and can interestingly never generate enough heat to do it.

After tons of etching temp of pencil tip increases by just few degrees.

If I touch something too thick to etch (aligaor clip) then it does glow, and very brightly but it doesn't explode. I guess it's because if it's too short.

Only problem is that then I melt sensitive parts of pencil in very short time.

Touching to foil 'too long' does nothing, just etches anywhere you drag it.
Cutting is based on constant 'bad contact' between electrode and foil because foil constantly melts in it's way.

If you use few cm of lead and hook it directly to power supply it is normal for it to overheat and blow up.

If it is thicker there is even more risk of explosion and sharpnels are much bigger and dangerous.
Electroholic
Fri May 19 2006, 09:57AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
I was using 0.5 lead in my foam cutter,
it worked perfectly, but when i crank current up,
the middle part of it glow white hot.
It oxidized itself, and got two "extremely" sharp carbon needle.
so I guess only thick lead, like >1mm, would explode.
Marko
Fri May 19 2006, 10:45AM
guess only thick lead, like >1mm, would explode.

Good guess.

When I tried something similar with a 1,5mm carbon rod it used to explode violently, especially if I leave too much of it free.

I had to take cover when doing this.

To reduce heating electrical contact must be as close top the tip of lead, because of high ohmic resistance of graphite.

Also one important thing is to use negative pole of power supply on the electrode, I didn't belive it's important untill I tried.

With positive pole on the pen it sticks to foil and creates some garbled, wide cut.

Psyko
Fri May 19 2006, 08:03PM
Psyko Registered Member #81 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:57AM
I just tried it with a 0,7 mm pencil. Incredibly powerfull. Nicest find man amazed

But why is carbon so powerfull, compared with metal ( I tried with steel ) ?
I have tried to melt some solder wire with the pencil and the system could nearly solder. Nearly .
Coyote Wilde
Fri May 19 2006, 11:14PM
Coyote Wilde Registered Member #175 Joined: Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:32PM
Psyko wrote ...

But why is carbon so powerfull, compared with metal ( I tried with steel ) ?
Because the carbon is burning; steel doesn't react nearly as much in air.
Marko
Fri May 19 2006, 11:34PM
Nope, It's not burning at all in foil-cutting operation.Carbon lead gets just warm a bit.
It can cut for very long getting just a bit wasted.

It does the job well because graphite doesn't tend to weld to metals like a sell tip would do.
This makes 'everlasting point of bad contact' anywhere it goes, and the spark occuring at the spot blasts the alluminium into vapour.

I also tried it for solder wire and it works, but I don't know for the boards.

I suppose that 'soldering' ability is just from ohmic heating of the carbon rod (graphite has a quite high ohmic resistance) and transferring it to solder, as it's too massive to get vapourised like alluminium foil.

You can distinguish these two events by occuring temperature andwasting of carbon lead.
If it's just filamenting it will be burned in series of small explosions and get consumed pretty fast.
ragnar
Sat May 20 2006, 01:06AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM

Much like a lightbulb, the current running through your carbon/graphite electrode is also self-limiting as the graphite heats up. This reduces sputtering and welding. Similarly you can vary the current by using a longer length of graphite between your supply and target.
Marko
Sat May 20 2006, 10:03AM
Much like a lightbulb, the current running through your carbon/graphite electrode is also self-limiting as the graphite heats up. This reduces sputtering and welding. Similarly you can vary the current by using a longer length of graphite between your supply and target.

Current drawn in the cutting is much lower than short-circuit current possible.
Length of graphite interestingly makes no difference at all, as the spark limits the current (It draws something like small 'bangs' from the filter cap but overall current is quite low).

Your self-limiting effect probably occurs only on microscopic scale on point of contact and this prevents welding.

'Electron wind' from the electrode also seems to help blowing the vapour away.

cbfull
Sat May 20 2006, 06:07PM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
I love all of the creative ideas on this board! This method of cutting foil sounds like killing a fly with a bazooka. I use a cutting mat and a wheel blade/straight edge when I need to cut a straight line in a hurry. I'm not sure how it could get any faster.

On the other hand, pencil lead is much cheaper than those round blades. I'm waiting to see how long it takes for aluminum to dull a steel blade.
Marko
Sat May 20 2006, 06:35PM
cbfull wrote ...

I love all of the creative ideas on this board! This method of cutting foil sounds like killing a fly with a bazooka. I use a cutting mat and a wheel blade/straight edge when I need to cut a straight line in a hurry. I'm not sure how it could get any faster.

On the other hand, pencil lead is much cheaper than those round blades. I'm waiting to see how long it takes for aluminum to dull a steel blade.

It was actually intended to etch and repair PCB's, but it didn't work there too well.

And how about writing letters, circles and very small shapes with a blade (I just needed two small circles to cover small sphere, I just drew them around solder wire roll...).

Pizza blade is also good idea but I have only a wavy one cheesey
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: