Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The 5AM SSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
ragnar
Thu May 18 2006, 07:21PM Print
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Pics now.. explanation later... tired... must.. sleep...

1147980112 63 FT0 200lash1

1147980112 63 FT0 200lash4

1147980112 63 FT0 200lash5

1147980112 63 FT0 202lash5

1147980112 63 FT0 202lashburst

1147980112 63 FT0 202lashcapture

1147980112 63 FT0 202lashwaves
HV Enthusiast
Thu May 18 2006, 07:58PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Cool. Is that completely powered off that lead acid battery??
Thu May 18 2006, 11:44PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Looks good BP cheesey

I am guessing that toroidal transformer is powering the bridge, and the 12v cell is doing at least one of the isolated gate drives...

And for the most important question... How are the fets doing?

From the looks of it you are using a 4046 pll driver feeding a pair of your isolated gate drivers... But with only 2 of them I don't quite see how they are being used as designed, is one fet just connected in reverse of each driver so that it is off when the other is on?

I am also curious... Those sparks look really hot, which implies cw operation... But that is a pretty small cap on the transformer... What is the current draw?

Eagerly awaiting more results...

Oh, and if that is a 4046, have you tried audiomod? Still waiting for results on your mazzilli audiomod...

Good Luck!
Steve Ward
Fri May 19 2006, 01:15AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Looking at the waveforms posted, you certainly werent getting zero current switching. When you get ZCS, almost all of that noise dissappears.
ragnar
Fri May 19 2006, 06:21AM
Seemingly as I get closer to ZCS, the output dies down to about 1/4 what it is now and goes all noisy. I tuned this as to what gave the least hiss, drew the most current, and gave the smoothest gate waveforms.

A few kilohertz either way and the waveforms get even yuckier - it could be a coupling thing... or a leakage inductance thing? =)
Steve Conner
Fri May 19 2006, 10:10AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hey Matt,

That's pretty impressive for 5AM >_<

As regards the waveforms, did you find that maximum spark output happened at roughly the same PLL setting that gave smoothest waveforms? That's what should happen. If not, there could be a problem.
Desmogod
Fri May 19 2006, 01:58PM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
I found that the PLL needed a fair bit of power fed into it before it would stop spluttering, and locked onto a frequency. After that, she ran really nicely. Whereas the 74hc feedback circuit ran straight from the word go.
Could have something to do with my dodgy breadboarded PLL circuit though.
I just used the 10K pot, and my scope to tune it, and as steve said, the cleanest waveforms gave the largest output. Something is awry!
Also, how much power are you putting through that fullbridge?
ragnar
Fri May 19 2006, 09:42PM
Aw thanks guys =)

EVR: Unfortunately not, the big lead acid battery is ~13V to the gatedrivers, and regulated to 12V for the VCO. The toroidal transformer you see to the left is providing 60V at ~4A.

Peter/...: The FETs do quite nicely - there's just enough dissipation on longer runs to take the chill off the heatsink, but not much more. Considering it was BLOODY COLD in there, I was more than happy to warm my hands on the heatsink occassionally :P

Yup, it's running CW. Depending on how far up I move the primary on the secondary, it draws between 3 and 10 amps. The capacitor looks small, however it's a 63V 10,000uF cap I daringly placed on the 60V-under-load winding of the transformer wink

No isolated drive boards here, there's just two pairs of gatedriver chips, each driving one half of the bridge through a GDT. I tried out some new cores and the waveforms looked (compared to my past work) very nice.

For your information guys, there's an alligator clip connecting pin14 of the PLL chip to ground! Nothing but the VCO running here, since I'm out of 555s and TL494s and won't have a board for the MAX038 until this weekend.

Steve Ward: this is as smooth as the waveforms get - F goes either way and they only get uglier.. :P

Power into the fullbridge has varied from ~180W to 660W... I blew my bridge rectifier to hell pulling 11A from it, but it didn't die in vain! It died short, and smoked for long enough for me to yank the power out. None of the FETs died! =-D

This afternoon I'll (fingers crossed, touch wood) hopefully be doing some engraved/drilled boards for, err... isolated gate drivers, lil mazilli/zvs, MAX038 boards... and a +-5V supply board to run the MAX038

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: