Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New to Coilguns - Coilgun Buildlog (Charger apparently fixed)

Move Thread LAN_403
Artikbot
Mon Jun 20 2011, 09:17AM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
Yep, saw it lookin at the datasheet.

Guess I'll have to route some cables to place it somewhere above the 555, or dunno. Maybe it fits under the board.

Going back to the 555 not charging the gate properly... In what sense?

Seemingly I output 160mA to the gate, at 11.1V. That is a lot of power to the gate, unless the square waveform isn't really square and it doesn't rise on time.

Mind explaning that a bit more please?

Thanks!

Adam Munich
Mon Jun 20 2011, 03:51PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Thing is you want to charge that gate capacitor as fast as possible, and at 30, 40, 50kHz you need to supply big currents to charge it up fast enough.

I'd get some sort of dual low side gate drive IC to run it. Here is a 9 amp one that you could sample, Link2

Get the SOIC version because the MLP is unsolderable. Also, get more then one because it's easy to kill gate drivers if you mess up.
Artikbot
Tue Aug 09 2011, 09:05AM
Hey Grenadier!

Sorry for the delay in the response, I ran into the exam period and set aside the project again.

I see, so a driver is the way to go. I'm not running at insane frequencies, but well, I guess 160mA is a crap of current if it needs to charge the gate capacitor in 1/14000 of a second. Even if it has a couple of pF, that is too little of a current anyways.

I'll do a daughterboard and place it on top of the ICs I have, so I can add the driver to the circuitry without increasing the board space.

Will see if my local shop can supply me those, otherwise I'll need to pay 10 times the cost in terms of shipping... But I'm used to that tongue

Will report back soon, promise!

Thanks!!
Forty
Tue Aug 09 2011, 05:55PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
if you can't get the driver ic, you can probably get by with a couple transistors such as in this circuit:
Link2
since that is basically what the driver does anyways, and you're not at any ridiculous frequencies.

I wouldn't worry about that spike that shows up on your meter as long as your charger shuts off when it is supposed to.

is your optic triggering system still working fine? i've got a circuit for dual triggers if you need it.
Artikbot
Fri Sept 02 2011, 05:59PM
Wow, it's been long since I last posted, once again.

Crazy summer, I got into model car racing and the coilgun was stored in the closet.

I have new plans and new stuff too.

So, the two transistors (NPN-PNP pair) are able to drive the MOSFET at 7kHz (IIRC this is the circuit's oscillation speed)? Off to try it, and pray for the mosfet to not be fried.

@Forty: The trigger works like a charm, even tested it with the SCRs and it works great. Tre triac is bugging me a bit more, but nothing serious. Thanks anyways :D

My new plans are:

1) Fix the charger up.
2) Finish the coilgun body.
3) Test and tune it.

Once all this is done, this will be the new roadmap:

1) Build a Mazilli ZVS driver
2) Get a new capbank, around the kilojoule.
3) Build a 3-stage (probably 5 stages, depends on the budget) cannon, for 12mm caliber projectiles. This one will use strawed projectiles to reduce eddy losses and stabilize the round. I might use silicon insulated wire for this purpose, as enameled wire is deadly expensive in high diameters. Or proabaly a double-wound coil. Yet to be decided which material will I use.
Plus I need a winder to wind a 12AWG coil, by hand it's very, very hard to do it right, tight and nice.

And as an ultimate stage (now it's just a couple drawings on a blank sheet), mount the 4mm cannon (the current one) into an arm-wielded module. That is, have the coilgun hanging from the arm, with the trigger in the hand. But as I said, this is nothing but a couple concept drawings.

Forty
Tue Sept 06 2011, 03:29PM
a double wound or thinner gauge coil might actually be better than the 12awg since the turns could be placed closer to the barrel. if you plan to divided the 1kj over multiple stages, then smaller wire like 16awg should work just fine (and it's not hard to wind by hand and can be found in some older mot primaries.)
Artikbot
Tue Sept 20 2011, 08:07PM
It makes a lot of sense, now that you say it. I'll probably wind each other layer with alternative wires, that is, first layer wire 1, second layer wire 2, third layer wire 1, fourth layer wire 2, and so on.

Have found a rather cheap supply of enamel coated wire, prices starting at 20€ per 500g spool, approximately. 12AWG wire.

But for now, I'll just fix the charger, tune it for lower voltages (maybe tuned down at 200V just to do rutinary firing tests that do not requiere the coilgun to fire at full power) and build a 100W or so Mazzilli ZVS. Still in process of findinga decent transformer core, as I do not want to damage my beloved flyback pulled out of an old Trinitron CRT, which is very well built and has a very decent connector system installed.

Been thinking about possible causes of failure on the bare boost converter (no drivers used), and my sturdiest hypothesis is that once voltage built up, the charger maxed up its power and heat started to build in a rather heavy way, causing the MOSFET failure. I have yet to build the FET driver (ah the university, takes sooo much time).

By the way, how is current regulation undergone in a ZVS driver? Can't happen to find documents about this. Besides inductance on the transformer core, I cannot happen to deduce anything else.
Forty
Tue Sept 20 2011, 08:28PM
I think the current in the zvs is limited only by the inductance and the melting point of the components.
Artikbot
Tue Sept 20 2011, 08:47PM
Hahaha then I'd rather find out which inductance I need, melting point is something I'd rather keep ignoring tongue
Forty
Wed Sept 21 2011, 01:17AM
well any power source you use to supply it is going to have some inherent current limit. so as long as your mosfets can switch the current, and everything else can dissipate enough heat (inductor, primary, resistors, wires) then the zvs will draw all the current it can.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: