All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Scrap Recycling

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Self Defenestrate
Tue May 16 2006, 03:17AM Print
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
Anyone here recycle? Over the weekend, I picked up $17 just from some 7lbs. of tangled copper wire I had lying on the garage, and another sixty from the cans that have accumulated. I'm starting to eye those old transformers in the bequeathed heaps of junk in my garage now. Toss your scrap in a bin, it adds up pretty quick.
Tue May 16 2006, 04:58AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
We 'recycle' but we pay the city to haul it off instead of taking it down the the recycling center and getting paid for it angry

I guess when you parents are making like $60/hr things like that just don't seem worth it confused
GODSFUSION
Tue May 16 2006, 01:40PM
GODSFUSION Registered Member #157 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:00PM
Such as like daily plastic and metals cans yeah. Dad will sometimes pick up the free aluminum pools and scrap iron and sell it to a scrap yard. Can easly make half a grand in a weekend

- wayne -
Hellmark
Tue May 16 2006, 05:32PM
Hellmark Registered Member #189 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 07:43PM
... wrote ...

We 'recycle' but we pay the city to haul it off instead of taking it down the the recycling center and getting paid for it angry

I guess when you parents are making like $60/hr things like that just don't seem worth it confused

The sad thing is that most places who do that, dont ever actually recycle the materials. I know where I was, Waste Management (which is a fairly large national company), would take the recycled material, out of the presorted recycling truck and just throw it into the back of a trash truck and take it to the dump.
Jim
Tue May 16 2006, 05:54PM
Jim Dunce.
Registered Member #28 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 03:29AM
They have "recycle bins" in school, however, I seem to notice them just dumping them into the dumpsters...
HV Enthusiast
Tue May 16 2006, 07:29PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Recyling at its best. Looks like they simply "recycled" the recycle can as a "trash can."
Part Scavenger
Tue May 16 2006, 07:36PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Hellmark wrote ...

The sad thing is that most places who do that, dont ever actually recycle the materials. I know where I was, Waste Management (which is a fairly large national company), would take the recycled material, out of the presorted recycling truck and just throw it into the back of a trash truck and take it to the dump.

Yeah, we would, but our waste management does the same thing. My aunt used to sort hers, but she noticed that the guys would take the different bins and just empty them all into the back of the garbage truck. Made her really mad too.

Has anyone read about the plant in Missouri that's started turning trash into oil? There are NO bad byproducts and they can put anything with carbon into it. We're talking sewage, industrial waste, tires, heavy oil byproducts. If it works as well as they say it does, it will be AWESOME. It's called thermal depolymerization if anyone wants to look it up. Estimated at the pump cost of a gallon of gas: $.75! The plant runs off itself, and the output can run in a diesel engine without refining.

Simon Barsinister
Tue May 16 2006, 10:12PM
Simon Barsinister Registered Member #116 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:19AM
I recycle all the aluminum from work. The guys used to just pitch it out, I got them to save it for me. I just buy them a case of beer on a friday once in a while. It only amounts to $20 a month, but I hate to see it just dumped into a landfill (only to be mined out in a few decades when it becomes economical).
I saved up and separated all the magnetic and non-mag stainless.... the recycle place just threw it all together and gave me nearly zilch for it. Copper, aluminum, and brass are the real money scrap.
Rich
Cesiumsponge
Wed May 17 2006, 12:33AM
Cesiumsponge Registered Member #397 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:56AM
We save all our metal chips and sort them as ferrous, aluminum, brass/bronze, copper, titanium, superalloys, etc. Ferrous metals don't get you that much unless you save up a LOT (which we do). They lump together anything from cheap cast iron to high end stainless steels which kind of stinks but the rest of the stuff is prime real estate for people (druggies?) wanting to make a quick buck. We had to put lids and locks on all of our nonferrous dumpsters because people would cruise and steal the stuff around here.

I almost hit a group of people people in a minivan with it's lights off near my place of work at 5:00AM last month because they were at a earby building's dumpster rummaging for goodies. Prices on metals are going up and it isn't unusual for a pound of titanium scrap to get over $20/lb.

As mentioned, most nonferrous alloys besides aluminum will get you reasonably good money. Copper is probably the most plentiful and I would guess many people that know about scrap metals rummage swipe it when the chance arises.
Self Defenestrate
Wed May 17 2006, 01:47PM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
Trash day and surplus houses are great for finding scrap. I tend to focuse on copper, with aluminium collected when its there. Water pipes, refridgerator coolant coils, and transformers all toss a good pile of copper. Aluminium chassis are my other income. Brass though, what can you scrap brass out of?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: