hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Powder on mercury

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
HazzWold 1993
Sat Sept 11 2010, 08:19AM Print
HazzWold 1993 Registered Member #2563 Joined: Mon Dec 21 2009, 10:17AM
a friend of mine recently gave me several kilos of liquid mercury, but there is some sort of dark fine metal looking powder on it, can anyone tell me what it is?
Proud Mary
Sat Sept 11 2010, 09:17AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Old fashioned ways of cleaning up mercury include squeezing it through a chamois leather, pouring it into a separating funnel and draining off all but the floating layer, and even sucking up the mercury below the floating layer with a hypodermic syringe.

The floating layer could be all sorts of things - including rock dust if the Hg has been used in gold separation - depending on the metal's history.

Hg may contain other dissolved metals - amalgams - without appearing noticeably different.
HazzWold 1993
Sat Sept 11 2010, 09:24AM
Thank you very much! i think ill just go with the separating funnel method of removing the powder.
Adam Munich
Sat Sept 11 2010, 01:33PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Yeah it's dust.

When you do anything with mercury, it gets dusty. Touching it leaves a fingerprint too. It's a dirt magnet.

My method of cleaning is to ill up a teflon squirt bottle and hold it upside-down over a flask. Then squeeze it out. It takes a while but as the Hg level lowers, dirt is left on the walls of the bottle. At the end, if you squeeze carefully you can get every drop of Hg back, and leave all the dirt in the bottle's squirt part (nipple? bleh, vocabulary)

Another method is to vacuum filter it, but that requires some glass pieces I don't have.

Now as for the mercury,
Have you tried floating things yet?
Have you amalgamated a penny yet?
Have you dissolved gold yet?
(those are three things anyone with Hg must try!)

Once, just for curiosity, I tried making a speaker out of Hg. I took a superstrong NdFeB magnet, and made a small clay cup over it. I put a few drops of Hg in there, and added lead wires. It didn't work too well as a speaker because o the ultra-low impedance. But it was interesting hooking it up to a SLA 12V battery. The Hg wiggled a little when I connected and disconnected it.

Also, how many kilos? I have 7 lbs, which is plenty, but I'd still like more. (no I don't plan on buying yours, as I know Australian customs is run by Nazis.)

Other things you can try is making a mercury level by putting some in a glass tube (one end sealed) and sealing the other end (with a torch or stopper). Ive compared Hg levels to air bubble ones and the Hg ones seem more "sensitive"
HazzWold 1993
Sat Sept 11 2010, 02:14PM
I don't believe ill go touching it anytime soon anyways, so i wont worry about fingerprints lol. as for playing with it i have done nothing as of yet, as i want it cleaned first. i have around 8 kilos.. a friend of mine gave me it as he has some unearthly amount that i have no idea how he obtained...
yes Aussie customs is a third Reich Nazi base.
but i will definitely make good use of what i have. i might just try a cheaper alternative of sucking the clean stuff out of the middle with a syringe to begin with as i left all my glassware when i moved....
Adam Munich
Sat Sept 11 2010, 02:19PM
"but i will definitely make good use of what i have."

Hmm...

You could try and make a barometer.
I planned on doing that but I couldn't find a long enough glass tube at my school.

Build your own mercury contact relays.
All you need is a solenoid, a soldering iron, a few hinges and some piano wire.

And the mother of all mercury projects. >> Link2

radiotech
Sat Sept 11 2010, 03:12PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
Have you made mercury putty? All it takes is a battery, some mercury and another liquid. You pass the current through the mercury and the other liquid and soon the mercury gells up into a putty, looks like mercury. Leave it a while and it reverts back to mercury. Its an amalgam.

The image of the Hewettic Rectifier was nice. We used those to run DC motors and one day we wanted to plug-jog something and pushed in the wrong relay and almost blew one to smithereens. We spent the rest of the day making adapters so the fuses we had would fit into the holders for the obsolete ones we blew.
IntraWinding
Sat Sept 11 2010, 06:20PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
radiotech wrote ...

Have you made mercury putty? All it takes is a battery, some mercury and another liquid. You pass the current through the mercury and the other liquid and soon the mercury gells up into a putty, looks like mercury. Leave it a while and it reverts back to mercury. Its an amalgam.

Sounds like 'Ammonium amalgam', where the ammonium molecule behaves like a metal. You make it by electrolysing an ammonium salt solution with a mercury cathode. I tried it once and it was worth it to see a unique material. My old chemistry book described it as having a 'buttery consistency', which would be about right if you use carbonated butter!
Adam Munich
Sat Sept 11 2010, 06:31PM
I may have to try this later. I have a whole bunch of ammonium nitrate.

I say 'may' because soluble mercury compounds are *very* toxic. I'm definitely using rubber gloves with this one.
radiotech
Sat Sept 11 2010, 11:23PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
Its ammonium chloride solution. All the 2500 year old tricks with mercury are frowned on now! And since electricity hadn't been invented yet, there is no reason to believe the ancients had a supply of AA cells. Perhaps you can make some NH4.

1284247414 2463 FT96346 Scan0022
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: