Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

50v SMPS Mod

Move Thread LAN_403
uzzors2k
Sun May 14 2006, 11:30AM Print
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
I got bored waiting for a new power supply, so I thought I would make a temporary one. I cheated a little, as I'm using both the -12 and +12 rail, but its still fairly impressive for a cheap SMPS. I'm not sure how long it will live under a heavy load, but it seems to do ok with a 10 ohms for now. Unfortunately something managed to die in the time it took to take the picture, and I can't turn the voltage down anymore.... sad
It seems to hit a peak at 25v on the 12v rail, because I can still turn the pot a little more, but the voltage doesn't increase. I increased the overvoltage shutdown voltage as well, in an attempt to give it a longer life span.

1147606201 95 FT0 50v Psu Hack Uzzors
Dr. Shark
Sun May 14 2006, 12:19PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Nicely done! I am surprised you can draw as much as 5A from the -12 rail, since it is usually not rectified with a big schottky but just a bunch of small discrete diodes.
What I did with my last mod was to completely redo the 5V line, leaving the 12V alone for the controller, and rewinding the 5V winding on the transformer for more. That also works pretty well, but of course you use regulation on the modded 5V line.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun May 14 2006, 12:20PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Did you replace the 16v lytics? If not they will sooner or later go *BANG* dead tongue
uzzors2k
Sun May 14 2006, 03:54PM
I haven't replaced any electrolytics yet, as there are over 5 of them, and I don't have any suitable replacements. I'll replace them as they blow. cheesey
I've got another SMPS lying around, so I'll try a transformer mod this time. How long has your mod survived, Joe? And what kind of voltage did you get out of it? Modding the transformer is probably alot more stable than just tricking the PWM chip... wink
Wilson
Tue May 16 2006, 12:01PM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
wow, i hope the psu doesn't die wink
I modded one to provide 25V once, and it died soon afterwards with transistors shorted....so make sure you have a decent load on it at all times.
uzzors2k
Tue May 16 2006, 02:24PM
I've put a 10ohm load inside of it for testing. I'll have to add a load in series with whatever I'm powering from now on though, because the overvoltage circuit has been tuned and may not shut the PSU down in time.

Has anyone ever tried replacing/creating their own PWM before? It would be fun to experiment with... I've thought about removing the entire secondary side, and then try to drive the primary separately. I'll use a TL494 if I can solder one off or just a pair of 555s out of phase for the PWM. Don't smps' usually run at a frequency of 20-100 khz?
What should I use to run the choppers?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: