Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Levitating a coil

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Sun May 14 2006, 09:39PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
It is eddy current repulsion from AC being feed to the coil, care to give more infomation on this TDU? frequency? power?

100VAC, at probably 50Hz and 6,5A (650W).

Sun May 14 2006, 11:05PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Alessandro wrote ...

It not diamagnetism as the most diamagnetic substance on Earth (pyrolytic graphite) can only float mere millimeters above grade N50 neodymium super magnets and barely lifts its own weight.

It is eddy current repulsion from AC being feed to the coil, care to give more infomation on this TDU? frequency? power?

Actually the most diamagnet substance is any of the superconductors... They exhibit enough superdiamagnetism to levatate the magnet above the superconductor amazed

In any case, if we can levate a frog from the diamagnetism of the water? in it...
Maz
Sun May 14 2006, 11:51PM
Maz Registered Member #111 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:04AM
now how plausible would it be to make something that wasnt tethered?

the power supply and a source of batteries on the coil.
this wouldnt do it, but i wonder what could???? confused
G^3
Sun May 14 2006, 11:53PM
G^3 Registered Member #97 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40PM
Next time you get some liquid nitrogen cool the copper way down. In my physics class there was a demo with a supercold copperplate and a magnet and you could drop the magnet and it would bounce, with out touching the plate, and then slowly settle down. I bet if the copper plate was very cold the coil could lift way over its own weight.
Tesladownunder
Mon May 15 2006, 12:50AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
G^3 wrote ...

.. In my physics class there was a demo with a supercold copperplate and a magnet and you could drop the magnet and it would bounce, with out touching the plate, and then slowly settle down. ...
What you saw in your physics class was a magnet dropped onto a superconductor, not copper. A superconductor repels a magnetic field (perfect conductor = perfect eddy currents to repel). A stationary magnet will not levitate above a stationary plate since no eddy currents are generated.

I found this copper plate in a scrap metal yard and I think it cost some AUD$20 for the copper weight but I knew it would be great for magnetic repulsion stuff.
It is really interesting to watch a NIB magnet slide down this in slow motion when it is held at a 70degree slope just by the action of eddy currents. It takes perhaps 10 seconds to reach the bottom. Similarly if you try to slide the magnet over the copper it gives a lot of rate dependent resistance. This is a real force measured in kg and way above any para/diamagnetic force measured in mg. The simple test is to see if it works with DC (it doesn't).
Although it can lift its own weight there is a huge power requirement which is one of the reasons that we still use wheels on our SUV's. To get 650W out of a battery plus an inverter to give AC would be a challenge if limited to 200g.

I have two of these coils which will fit on the plate. I might try them together which should make them stable in 2 dimensions. I figure only 2 support strings will be needed then which can be the input wires.

A question: My setup was on my table with an iron frame. Would this make a difference through the copper plate in this setup?

Peter

Simon
Mon May 15 2006, 01:14AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Anyone who's still confused about the physics of this should look up Lenz's Law. It's the simplest way to qualitatively understand this sort of stuff.

EM isn't my best field yet, but my guess to your question, TDU, is that the iron bench won't have a significant effect.
Dr. Slack
Mon May 15 2006, 07:14AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Nice demonstration Peter

The discussion about diamagnetism - with AC, the copper is effectively diamagnetic, the eddy currents induced in it reduce the field in the material. This only works at DC in superconductors.

Perhaps somebody could look up the skin depth for copper at 50Hz, this is the distance through the copper at which the field has reduced to 1/e (my gut feel thinks it's a few mm, how good is my guess?) A sheet of copper several skin depths thick would prevent any significant field penetrating to the other side (this answers the iron bench question)

That 100v x 6.5A is not 650W of course, but 650VA. The actual power dissipated in the coil will be given through the DC resistance of the coil (at operating temperature) by I[sup]2[/sup]R. A measurement of true electrical power consumed at the terminals would give the heating in the copper plate as well as the heating in the coil. Not having a watt meter, I usually make that measurement by substituting various power factor correction capacitors across the input terminals to resonate out the reactive current, until I get a minimum recorded current, which is the resistive current.

How long can you run it before that interesting smell prompts you to turn it off?
Bored Chemist
Mon May 15 2006, 08:03AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Just a thought; one way of looking at diamagnetism is that it's the effect of eddy currents on the atomic level. Because (classicly) the electrons are orbiting already the diamagnetic effect still works with DC.
I'd still be interested in knowing the effect of cooling the coil and plate in liquid nitrogen. Dropping the resistance roughly 4-fold should make some difference
ragnar
Mon May 15 2006, 08:27AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Skin depth in copper at 50Hz-60Hz is 8mm-9mm, depending on where you live...

C'mon dude, square-root of all rho on pi times F times mu. =)
stop4stuff
Mon May 15 2006, 10:43AM
stop4stuff Registered Member #64 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:25AM
A little bit of research later...

Also works with aluminium amazed

A maglev train uses the same technology - 3 phase electromagnets on the train induces repelling magnetic fields in aluminium tracks, the 3 phase provides a 'magnetic ripple' propelling the train along.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: