hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

would alcohol from poisonous berries count legally as denatured alcohol?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
samiHere
Sat Aug 21 2010, 12:52AM Print
samiHere Registered Member #3110 Joined: Fri Aug 13 2010, 12:31AM
If I wanted to make my own fuel alcohol and used poison berries in the mash, could I use that as evidence that I didnt intend to drink the resulting alcohol? Would me doing a lab to see if the alcohol did or did not still contain toxins be viewed by government entities as "moonshine production"
Bjørn
Sat Aug 21 2010, 02:06AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
You don't mention where you live but I can make a guess. It does not matter if it is drinkable or not, it is still forbidden to make without all the required licenses and following all the regulations. The only difference is that if it is drinkable you have to pay tax in addition.

This is the first hurdle:
Application for permit required.
Any person wishing to establish an alcohol fuel plant shall first make application for and obtain an alcohol fuel producer's permit. The application for a permit will be on Form 5110.74. The application, in duplicate, will be submitted to the regional director (compliance). The description of stills on the approved application constitutes registration of stills as required by 27 CFR 196.45. Alcohol fuel producers' permits are continuing unless automatically terminated under Sec. 19.920, suspended or revoked as provided in Sec. 19.950, or voluntarily surrendered. (Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1355, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5179); Sec. 232, Pub. L. 96-223, 94 Stat. 278 (26 U.S.C. 5181)) This was last updated on September 17, 1999

Link2 should know the rest.
Adam Munich
Sat Aug 21 2010, 03:02AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Honestly, So long as you do not sell it as a drink, nobody is going to go after you if it's made small quantities for fuel use. I know multiple people (online) that do such a thing, and they've never had any problems with the law. Making ethanol is a very common practice.
Bored Chemist
Sat Aug 21 2010, 11:05AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
When you distil it to get a high enough concentration to burn you will leave pretty much any poison behind.
The authorities won't like anything that stops them getting money as tax.
Adam Munich
Sat Aug 21 2010, 05:06PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Why not make methanol? It can be burned as well, and I don't think there is any law against it. All you need is wood, a metal heating container, and a few copper pipes to make a still.
Hon1nbo
Sat Aug 21 2010, 09:53PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
any alcohol production is regulated, drinkable or not.
I lookied into this a while back for making an Ethanol engine as a science project. They have a specific class for production of FUEL grade alcohol. It is easier to obtain in some places and they don't tax it IIRC (at least in Texas) but you do still have to get a permit which in itself would cost some money, and they have to right to inspect equipment and processed material

-Jimmy
samiHere
Sat Aug 21 2010, 11:44PM
samiHere Registered Member #3110 Joined: Fri Aug 13 2010, 12:31AM
thanks, im gonna go with grenadier's idea and make methanol
Bored Chemist
Sun Aug 22 2010, 03:07PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Here in the UK, just owning a still without a license is a problem. Since you will need one you should check up on this for where you are.
Also you will need quite a good still if you plan to use the methanol as fuel in a petrol type engine. The heating of wood produces lots of other stuff, Acetone is one by-product and If I remember rightly it knocks like crazy in spark-ignition engines.
A diesel engine might be more tolerant but I don't really know how well you could use wood this way.
Conundrum
Mon Aug 23 2010, 10:33PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
yeah, we can blame high fuel taxes for this one..
is it just me or do the Govt intentionally make things difficult for people trying out unconventional fuels?

one alternative is to obtain a cheap diesel generator and use SVO to run it, if preheated with waste engine heat it ought to work fine.
also a vehicle which does not "directly drive the wheels" from an internal combustion generator (i.e. charges the batteries, which then run the electric motors) it is legally classed as an electric vehicle as long as the generator is off when the car is in motion.

-A

Proud Mary
Mon Aug 23 2010, 10:46PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
As one often finds on an international forum such as this, regulations differ from one national jurisdiction to another, and what may be legal to do in one country, may be illegal in another.

In the United Kingdom, denatured alcohol is tightly defined by the Dentaured Alcohol Regulations 2005 as follows:

"Completely denatured alcohol must be made in accordance with the following formulation: with every 90 parts by volume of alcohol mix 9.5 parts by volume of wood naphtha or a substitute for wood naphtha and 0.5 parts by volume of crude pyridine, and to the resulting mixture add mineral naphtha (petroleum oil) in the proportion of 3.75 litres to every 1000 litres of the mixture and synthetic organic dyestuff (methyl violet) in the proportion of 1.5 grams to every 1000 litres of the mixture."
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: