Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Transformer question

Move Thread LAN_403
Maz
Sat May 13 2006, 12:07AM Print
Maz Registered Member #111 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:04AM
So i have always wondered how a transformer was made. then i looked in my textbook.

it says that is is just two coild around a laminated peice of iron to prevent eddy losses.
they dont have to be overlapping.

this suprised me, i always thought they worked by moving the electrons in the other wire because they were stacked on top of each other.

i guess im just looking for some feedback. who is right, and is it as easy as it seems to make?
Sat May 13 2006, 01:16AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The windings don't need to be wound on top of each other, they just both need to be on the same core. The iron carries the energy from the first winding to the second. In order for the transformer to work as a normal transformer you will need the iron core to make 1 or 2 complete boxes.

Yes they are pretty easy to make, but the tricky part is calculating how many turns to use to prevent saturation (when the core can't cary the energy--flux as we call it--between the windings) while minimising the losses encountered from using more turns (of a smaller wire).
Mike
Sat May 13 2006, 01:28AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
And to add on to what ... said, You really don't even need an Iron core. Take a Tesla Coil for example, it is air cored. In a really crappy explanation, the primary coil creates a magnetic field which is coupled to the secondary transfering the energy to it, The coils have no need to be on top of eachother for this energy transfer to take place. I guess you might get better efficiency if the coils are much closer together, but watch for arc overs if its high voltage/current.

Mike
McFluffin
Sat May 13 2006, 01:56AM
McFluffin Registered Member #119 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:26AM
While we are on the topic, what makes something a mains transformer? Gets saturated more easily so that it draws less power than another similar transformer would do(for example, a 120V to 60V transformer versus a 12V to 6V transformer)?
Not really a usual transformer, but piezo transformers are another odd type of transformer if you are not just necessarily looking at wire types. They use sound waves and piezo crystals.
Maz
Sat May 13 2006, 03:01AM
Maz Registered Member #111 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:04AM
like if what you are saying plays true.
1 2
ol lo ol lo
ol lo ol lo
L____________l

it would look something like that
and if i wanted a step down say 120V to 12V i would have 10 on one but 1 on the other?
Self Defenestrate
Sat May 13 2006, 04:41AM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
Turns depends on the size and VA of your core. Check the wiki, there should be something on it.
ragnar
Sat May 13 2006, 08:09AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Nobody seems to have explained well the principles behind a transformer here, yet :P...

I'm illiterate, but I'll try:

When you have an electrical current 'moving' through a wire, a magnetic field is produced around the wire.

When you have a CHANGING magnetic field and a wire present in it, an electrical current is induced in the wire.

Lenz's law states that when an 'electromotive force' (you can think of this as a current, since I've been wrongly using the word all along :P) is generated by a change of magnetic flux or field strength, the polarity of the emf will try to produce a current whose corresponding field would oppose the change.

In a conventional transformer, the iron core provides a permeable medium for the flux to travel in. When you wrap many turns of wire around the core, and run a CHANGING electrical current through it (e.g. 60Hz AC mains / sinewave), the domains in the iron carry the flux around the core.

In the case of the secondary, the wire on the iron core is wrapped around what is in effect a CHANGING magnetic field, and so an electrical current is induced into the copper wires.

Transformers don't (technically) work off DC, because the only change in magnetic field on the secondary occurs when you connect it to power.

Try this link:
Link2

You might search that site for a page on transformers - the hyperphysics site is a great resource for understanding/answering these kinds of questions.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: