All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Dreams

Move Thread LAN_403
Avalanche
Thu May 11 2006, 07:30PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Back in the days when I used to play Quake a lot, I had a dream one night that I was actually inside a game of Quake. It was scary as hell, and turned into a nightmare. Eventually I woke up...

Heiders
Fri May 12 2006, 02:35AM
Heiders Registered Member #268 Joined: Tue Feb 28 2006, 02:44AM
If ever I am running in my dreams, I am always on all fours, galloping away and leaping onto houses and stuff.

It's never difficult to run on all fours, it just seems natural and easy and really fast. Anyone else run on their hands and feet?
Alex
Fri May 12 2006, 02:53AM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
Now that I think of it, I don't seem to recall much of anything concerning my phsyical self in my dreams. I don't think I've ever run around on all fours like that...

Usually when I am aware of myself it's because I have something frustratingly debilitating, such as lack of the ability to focus or move my head. I've had dreams where I would squint and squint, but couldn't make out anything... Kind of like when you just get up from sleeping and everything is bright and you can't see. I also recall one dream where I was riding in the car, staring at the gravel on the side of the road go by. I couldn't move my head or anything, it seemed to go on forever.
aahz
Fri May 12 2006, 03:53PM
aahz Registered Member #186 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 07:22AM
A few: Both of these were recurring.

I wake up and hear a loud roar outside my house. As I sprint through the hallway to go outside to look, I notice a bright orange/yellow light bleeding in through the windows. The whole house is shaking. I throw open the door to see what appears to be a saturn-esque planet filling a third of the sky, the rest of the sky is filled with a bright yellow nebula eminating from the planet. All around the house, huge, dead, leaf-less trees float in the air, slowly encircling the house... about 100 yards away on all sides. The landscape is dead, but not barren. Dead grass, trees, everything dead... all the while nothing is heard but a deep, deafening roar.

A variation of that dream involves tornadoes instead of dead trees hovering... had this dream probably four times, randomly.

Another I had a few times during high-school.
I wake up and get out of bed as usual, but notice it is still pitch black outside. I go into the kitchen and see all the stove burners are lit, the controls smashed out. Immediately I seem to wake up again (still dreaming). Everything seems normal this time. Morning light is creeping in through the windows. I get up and notice my aunt has arrived. I tell her about this wierd dream I just had.... immediately I seem to wake up ... again (still dreaming). Things are exactly the same as the first part of this dream: burners on, dark outside. When I make the connection between this and my first dream, the room is filled with an almost blindingly dull-green light, and again I hear a loud roar of noise. The room starts spinning... I fall down.

Anyway, I have a few more that I've written down... most of the ones I remember are nightmares like the last two. They don't really sound all that scary, but when I have them there is this extremely strong feeling of fear, or loneliness.
Simon
Sat May 13 2006, 12:32AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Last night I had a dream I was in some uni class. The tutor was showing us a movie and asking us to analyse a specific scene using calculus.

The movie was about some big, sprawling building that had been mostly submerged and was full of sharks. The special scene was where someone (of course) cut his foot and all the sharks were swimming their way though the corridors to converge on this victim through the scent of blood.

Despite the fact the movie was totally B-grade, both in plot and effects (sometimes the sharks looked exactly like actors in suits), we were all completely enthralled at the rising tension. It was getting more and more exciting, except at the same time we kept getting reminded to calculate the exact location of the angle in the wall.

Just as it was getting really tense I got the worst distraction: I woke up. I never got to the bit where the hapless swimmer gets surrounded by hungry sharks. rolleyes
HV Enthusiast
Sat May 13 2006, 12:42AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
You haven't experienced a dream until you experienced a lucid dream. I spent several semesters in college working on this skill and was finally able to obtain full lucidity in dreams 2-3 times per week and when they did occur it was the most fantastic experience i have ever had.

For most though, it takes an enormous amount of work and practice to achieve even a single lucid dream, but its definitely worth it if you have the time to invest. Learning dream recall and practicing constant daytime "state" checking is the best way to achieve lucidity in a dream. But it does take lots of work. Probably a few months before i had my first lucid dream.
ragnar
Sat May 13 2006, 01:26AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Steve Pavlina has written a lot about lucid dreaming and his (mostly successful) attempts.

Try stevepavlina.com
aahz
Sat May 13 2006, 04:59AM
aahz Registered Member #186 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 07:22AM
I've had a handful of lucid dreams. Mostly uneventful... usually I'm still bound by some wierd set of rules... as in I can't just make naked chicks appear and the like... or sometimes I even 'forget' that I'm dreaming a few moments later, and it continues as a regular dream.

On that second dream I mentioned above, the third or fourth time I had it, I realized it was recurring, and realized I was dreaming in the first part. So, I decided to play around and kick down my front door with my newfound dream powers... However in the midst of the flying-kick, I stopped in midair, completely paralyzed, before falling to the ground. Then some asian guy broke through the door and he proceeded to kick my ass.... I remember a lot of vivid pain. At one point he broke my back.... pretty damn intense pain. Of course that's when I woke up.
Self Defenestrate
Sat May 13 2006, 06:08AM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
I've trained myself to wake up once I start to dream and start a tape recorder, because I'm a notoriuous sleep talker. Usually, I'll fall back asleep and record incoherent babbling and/or snoring, but every now and again, I'll say something thats understandable. Some favorite self quotes have been "lemon, qwerty-qwerty"(this has happened twice on my record), various odd chuckles, and one of my all time favorites, "Rebarrrrrrrrrrrr". Might think about trying it out, you get used to waking up in a few weeks if you keep reminding yourself. If anything its a use for the hundreds of old tape recorders you might have stashed in your closet.
Alex
Sat May 13 2006, 02:19PM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
Haha, that's great. I used to mumble in my sleep, I don't know if I still do. I have woken myself up on several occasions by shouting, but I don't think I actually say anything.

I just woke up, so I'll try to write down my dream. I don't remember all of it, but I'll go as far back as I can.

On a beach. Smoke. I am very averse to the smoke. In a large building. White corridors, blue (carpeted?) floor. I am walking around, (looking for?) and hiding from someone/thing. I know someone is following, but maybe if I just keep going and don't act like I shouldn't be here, they won't notice. I walk through two double doors, into a room with two ceilings of different height. I can't see past the low ceiling to the high one. Guy who was following me comes in, and I get on a lift in the high ceiling'd section of the room. He follows me, and stands on the platform. It begins to rise, and I am scared shitless by this guy, so I jump off onto a balconyish thing that has just appeared on the wall. I use the lift controls to make him fall off. He is hurt, and yells something at me. I put the lift back down, and he gets on again (wtf?). I send it up higher this time, intending to drop and kill him. When I bring it down, he's gone. He must have gotten off at one of the other balconies.

I jump across (what? I have no idea, I just jump across) and follow another balcony to a window. There is a woman stealing sheets of glass off of a tarred roof. Somehow she is removing them from it, and it made sense at the time. She is in danger of getting caught, as am I, so I decide to help her. I try to disassemble the window in front of me. Kick, kick. Stab glass with pliers, try to remove sections of wood holding panes in place. Why the hell am I so weak? Guy is coming, maybe. Not sure about this part. I'm down on the ground, and the woman is tossing panes of glass down to me. They land on the grass, unbroken, which I find odd. The next one breaks. I pick it up anyway, and start to get away. I walk down my front lawn (I seem to be at my house). I walk along the road, trying to get to my neighbor's house. I pass a bunch of bikers, presumably going to my dad's shop. I am afraid that they want to kill me too, but I keep walking, and they just ride right on by. They seem to be going slow to pull into the driveway, but I never see them go in. One guy is wearing a helmet with fake star wars-like guns, two on the side, one on the back/top. They are all aimed up at about a 45 degree angle. I wonder why the guy is dressed as Boba Fett.

I start to head up into the woods, back towards my house. I can't run! I'm so slow! Roots, forest ground. Why am I so weak? I am on my lawn. Big scary guy who wants to kill me is there. He puts me in a headlock. I signal to the bikers to come to my aid. They lumber forward, big guy yells something about killing them too. I get free. Somehow the big guy was once on my side, and wanted me to do something or something. Something about me being averse to marijuana smoke. Wake.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: