Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

NST filter

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
JimmyH
Thu May 11 2006, 06:28PM
JimmyH Registered Member #358 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 06:13AM
Hmm.. I guess I was thrown off by there being 2 100W resistors on the schematic, instead of much smaller ones, and reading stories about the resistors getting really hot (IIRC, that was Gary Lau, who had saturated his shunts, and was pulling too much current anyway, so he could have gone less R more C).

I guess it's just a question of whether you'd rather wind a couple inductors, or buy a couple big power resistors.

If you don't mind winding more turns, you can get away with a lot higher noise rejection before power loss becomes a problem, so you can get some extra safety, and possibly skip out on the MOVs instead. =\
Terry Fritz
Thu May 11 2006, 07:21PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

I studied RLC filters back in 98:

Link2

Also RC filters thet the present "terry filter" is based on:

Link2

Today, with computer modeling, it might certainly be possible to "tune" the mess to get better performance out of the RLC filter. But the present RC design seems to work an just about any system as is. Back then, there were no nice models and the knowledge was limited. Today, there may be many more options as Jimmy mentions!!

One does need to take into account the enormous inductance of the NST secondary and its resistance too.

I think 90% of the good it does is in the spark gap and MOVs absolutely prevent overvoltage though.

It's claim to fame is basically that "it works really well" even though it is costly, burns power, and might not be the brightest design... There is plenty of room for inovation though espicially if it brings the cost down.

Cheers,

Terry

HV Enthusiast
Thu May 11 2006, 09:01PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
If you are truly concerned about efficiency, just eliminate the filter altogether. Remember, engineering is all about trade-offs, and it may be worthwhile to increase efficiency at the expense of reliability, should efficiency truly be an issue. Personally, i have never used filtering on my NST coils and never had any NST failiure or other problems.

Also, one needs to look at the entire system. The amount of losses introduced into the system by a filter may be swamped out by the losses in the primary circuit (i.e. spark gap) so any improvement here really won't matter much in the end.

And as Terry nicely said, the claim to fame is basically that it "works really well" at the expense of cost and power losses. The goal of the filter is to gain protection and reliability. If efficiency is a concern, just eliminate it completely, of course at the expense of reliability.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Aug 23 2006, 01:54AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I just wanted to post a picture of my NST line filter.

The capacitors were chosen as 10pF because throughout the simulation, the larger value capacitors such as 200pF and larger did not arrest large enough transients. The 10pF capacitors return the line surges back to normal operating nameplate current.

The ground pad connects on both sides of the fiberglass board for a firm connection. I could possibly add a spark gap on top of the capacitors, but the simulation results are showing normal operation of the transformer.

The board is coated with a silicone spray to protect the copper from 'aging' and will hopefully last many years into the future.
1156298055 135 FT9264 Mvc010f

1156298055 135 FT9264 Mvc011f
HV Enthusiast
Wed Aug 23 2006, 02:34AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Actually, my filter is better. This is the filter I use and i have never had an NST fail during Tesla coil use. I've used NSTs ranging from small 4kV/20mA units, up to a paralleled 15kV/60mA systems. tongue

Dan's Filter
1156300471 15 FT9264 Nst Better
williamn
Wed Aug 23 2006, 02:43AM
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
Even though EVR's NST filter (using a radical mid point ground protection system) may be a bit complicated for the average coiler, I too have used it with great success. I have never had a NST fail while using it. shades
Dr. Drone
Wed Aug 23 2006, 03:21AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Aug 23 2006, 08:49AM
That's great that some of you guys have never lost a NST, and I say more power to you.

Some of us have lost NST's due to dielectric breakdown. I have lost 2 12/60's at different times. The latest being the victim of performance testing. Basically I wanted to find the LTR multiplier myself and verify the findings first hand, and doing this more scientifically with simulation and data.

SO, if you're going to push every watt out of an NST, I would suggest using a filter. There is no appreciable loss in power, and mine will eliminate the large reflected current pulses.
Terry Fritz
Thu Aug 24 2006, 07:41PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
That's great that some of you guys have never lost a NST, and I say more power to you.

I should note than most of these people are probably using the larger "LTR" cap values that naturally resist over voltage. The LTR caps have really made a big difference in saveing NSTs too!! Back 7 years ago, they were all running resonant and some people made piles of dead NSTs...

With LTR caps, filters, fuses... If the NST dies then, it was a "natural" death... The LTR caps give bigger sparks so no reason not to use them. The fuse is cheap and easy...

One could ask if the filter is needed for LTR coils? Sync LTR coils actually drop in voltage if the gap does not fire... "Assuming" everything is wired right, then the filter only blocks RF from the outer windings. I have tested that and most of the HF voltage drop is on the outer windings for sure... With people running coils so hard these days, that might be a real concern...

But it sort of depends one your budget and situation. If you just bought a brand new 15/60 NST for $250, the choice is easy. But if your whipping together a little coil and can get another NST easily enough, then the choice might be easy too...

Cheers,

Terry
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Aug 24 2006, 09:02PM
I'm having to take a lot of precautions because I am trying to get the exact right LTR cap value for my difficult to replace 9/120.

In my case it is no throw-together coil. I want it designed to be a show coil that lasts for 50 years, including possible abuse. So this means simulation, calculations, and real work.

I'm trying to pull maximum currnet and voltage possible from this NST without exceeding either nameplate value.

I am getting there, but it is a long process of validating exactly what value for LTR. And in this case I am not going to just look at other people's numbers, I need to verify my numbers for power, efficiency, and make sure all the hard questions are answered with the closest figures.

Matt
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: