Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

NST filter

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Brian
Tue May 09 2006, 10:09PM Print
Brian Registered Member #117 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 05:22AM
I want a NST filter since I have only one NST. Greg's filter and Terry's filter seem to popular choices. I would like to know the key differences, effeciencies, and which one is better. Thanks.

Greg's Filter:

1147212498 117 FT0 Nst

Terry's Filter:

1147212539 117 FT0 Nstfilt
Terry Fritz
Tue May 09 2006, 11:11PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Oh!! "mine" is better cheesey

The component values are not critical at all and are commonly +-100%

The only significant difference is that Greg uses spark gaps for NST over voltage protection and I use MOVs "and" a safety spark gap up front.

Spark gaps are cheap but you "must" set them right or they do no good. MOVs are expensive, but you can't set them wrong wink) I use the spark gaps to take normal over voltages and the MOVs are the last ditch protetion incase the safety gaps are set wrong or fail. If the MOVs burn up, they fail shorted. So in mine, "nothing can go wrong" enough that the NST is damaged. But MOVs are pricey so Greg's is the next best choice on a budget.

Be sure to put a fuse on the NST too since there is a core saturation issue that "might" blow an NST now and then.

With my filter and a fuse, the reports I have gotten of NST fialures are "zero" smile A few folks complain that the resistors get hot and that is why they are so over rated. Power resistors can reach 300C in "normal" operation which was freaking people out, so I way oversized them. There have been a few people that have fried the MOVs. But the MOVs died saving the NST from the user there cheesey

The reason I went with MOVs is because there is a certain percentage (a high one) of folks that "just can't" get the safety gaps set right. The MOVs solved that, but at a price...

If Digikey is sold out of the MOVs, use a few more of the next voltage size down... I hate making things like this and every body orders the stuff and DK goes sold out for three months... frown

Guess why I have not mentioned the PN of my new Super IGBTs for the Sidac/IGBT gap shades

Pick your poison, but mine is best cheesey

Cheers,

Terry
Tue May 09 2006, 11:54PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I should point out that littlefuse will sample mov's from the little smd ones to huge bot down monsters. Use them wisely, but they will usually send you as many as you need... (not going to say anything more)

I haven't done any damage to my nst (7.5kv/30ma) with no filter (not even a saftey gap), but I will admit that I don't really abuse it with my micro coil...

Have fun!
Brian
Wed May 10 2006, 01:06AM
Brian Registered Member #117 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 05:22AM
Terry Fritz wrote ...

Be sure to put a fuse on the NST too since there is a core saturation issue that "might" blow an NST now and then.

Where in the circuit and what sort of fuse would be needed?

BTW - Thank you Terry for you ever unbiased opinion. I like the idea of idiot proof though.
Terry Fritz
Wed May 10 2006, 05:36AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

The fuse should be a fast blow type. One of those 1-1/4 x 1/4 inch cartridge fuses is fine (Radio Shack). The value is hard to guess without knowing anything about you NST, gap type, etc. but it should probably be about twice the VA rating of your NST divided by the input voltage. So if your NST is a 12/60:

2 x 12000V x 0.060A / 120V = 12 amps

If the fuse blows too much, go higher.

The fuse is directly on the NST 120V low side. On the Hot wire is best but not a big deal.

The reason for the fuse is that if an NST is driving a capacitor, the output current can go too high and saturate the core and shunts. Then it looses its current limiting and the currents can go far too high. They make a very loud bad sounding buzz when that happens. The fuse simply blows in that case preventing damage.

Cheers,

Terry
JimmyH
Wed May 10 2006, 07:01PM
JimmyH Registered Member #358 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 06:13AM
I don't get this whole RC filter thing. It's unnecessary loss.

People used to use LC filters for a while, but realised that the ringing they created was just as bad. Terry tested that out once, if I remember correctly.

So once people realised that, they seemed to have gone RC, since it's safer, even though it wastes a lot of power.

Why not both ?

Instead of a huge power resistor, why not use a smaller resistor with an inductor in parallel with it? If it's set to be critically damped, then there is no voltage spiking to worry about.

At 60hz, the inductance provides much less reactance, so current passes much easier, plus whatever VA flowing in the inductor is purely reactive, so it really cuts down on loss.

Say for example we want to replace our RC filter with a critically damped RLC filter at 360khz (which is 1/RC for Terry's filter). Since the mains frequency is 60hz, and the resonant frequency of the LC part of the filter is 360,000hz, the frequency, and therefore reactance (Xl = 2*pi*F*L) varys by 6000x.

say we wan't to have the same rejection that our RC filter had. That means Rnew has to be 2*Rold, and Xlres = Rnew. Xlmains (hope you understand my notation) is .0003 Rold. The voltage drop when charging the capacitor is now .2% of what it was, and reactive (if the inductor is lossless).

Power = V^2/R = (0.0003^2)Vold/(2*Rold), or ~0*old power dissipation. This doesn't count any high frequency noise which has to be eaten up, or any inductor loss, but the point remains that it is a big power saver.

The inductor would have to be around 870uH and the resistor 2k to be a drop in replacement for Terry's filter. The inductor could just be a 2x3" coil with a couple hundred turns of 28awg for example. The DC resistance would be a mere 6.8 ohms compared to the 1000 ohms that it had to push through before when charging the capacitor.

So what do you think?
ArcLight
Wed May 10 2006, 07:41PM
ArcLight Registered Member #341 Joined: Thu Mar 23 2006, 07:41PM
It seems that I remember reading someplace that MOVs clamp faster than a sparkgap can strike an arc. But the sparkgap can sink much more power so a combination of the two makes good sense.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed May 10 2006, 10:07PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Consider this:

My Tesla system running with a 12KVAC 60mA transformer and 3000 ohm load resistors have a 300VAC drop across them at maximum power pull. This has been measured with my potential divider.

So for each 3000 ohm load, we have 300*.06 = 18 W for peaks. And since they get warm during a 15 minute run, they're probably dissipating 25W each.

Say I'm loosing 100W in the resistor. 760W - 100W / 760W * 100 = 87% power transfer, meh, I'm happy with that. And if I'm really loosing 50W, then I have 93% which I can live with too.

The losses I care about are not having good enough coupling, long leads, bad capacitors, bad leads, bad sec. gnd. connection. etc. etc.
Steve Conner
Wed May 10 2006, 11:53PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
JimmyH: The DC resistance of a NST secondary winding seems to be about 5-10k ohms. There's an awful lot of real thin wire in there. So personally I wouldn't bother adding inductors to decrease the DCR of the filter.

For a pole pig or high frequency solid state power supply, I guess your idea would be good. Mainly because it saves having to buy such big resistors and manage the heat from them. (I guess that argument depends on how much of the heat is RF and how much is DC.)
HV Enthusiast
Thu May 11 2006, 01:23AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
JimmyH wrote ...

I don't get this whole RC filter thing. It's unnecessary loss.

People used to use LC filters for a while, but realised that the ringing they created was just as bad. Terry tested that out once, if I remember correctly.

So once people realised that, they seemed to have gone RC, since it's safer, even though it wastes a lot of power.

Why not both ?

Instead of a huge power resistor, why not use a smaller resistor with an inductor in parallel with it? If it's set to be critically damped, then there is no voltage spiking to worry about.

. . . .

The reason is because the resistance of the secondary winding of an NST is considerably greater than the RC filter most would use for an NST filter. Any savings would be quite negligible. Similar to trying to increase the Q of the secondary when its the primary Q that is the limiting factor of Q in the system.

EDIT: Oops. I see Steve beat me to it . . .
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: