Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

isolated gate drives

Move Thread LAN_403
Avalanche
Wed May 17 2006, 11:04AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
To get your isolated power supplies for each driver, couldn't you use a big capacitive divider (with say 4 caps) and feed it with 100v+? I haven't thought this through properly but the thought just popped into my head...
ragnar
Wed May 17 2006, 10:17PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
A capacitive divider is an interesting idea for AC, but I feel the distributed power / isolation transformer is more appropriate for varying input voltages, etc =)

Surely, EVR, you've worked with MSOP powerpad packages? (With the ground/die exposed at the bottom of the chip, which you reflow solder to the board to take heat away? =)
Wed May 17 2006, 10:58PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I have never worked with said packages, but in the one board I have made...
I had a voltage regulator in a little package which I needed to dissipate a little over a watt with, so I just put about 1cm by .5cm copper area on the tab and put a few vias (hole with piece of wire soldered on either side) around it into a similar sized piece of copper on the back. It seemed to work just fine, both sides got equally as warm...

I would say for these chips you should use a H shaped copper fill so you have tabs on either side of the chips, and from put a bunch of pins through to the bottom of the board... I suppose if you wanted to keep the flat format of your boards you could use some copper foil on either side to get the heat down to the bottom of the board.

As to the supply... I would have to say the best method would be to use a little ferrite core powered by a mazzilli driver or just a simple fixed frequency oscillator... Then wind a secondary for each board and have fun. Even normal magnet wire should be able to handle the <500v that would ever be across the bridge...
HV Enthusiast
Wed May 17 2006, 11:11PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Yes, I have worked with MSOPs, although i never hand soldered them. They would definitely be an improvement over DIP packages as with a DIP package, the only heat path is through the pins themselves which is pretty poor.
ragnar
Wed May 17 2006, 11:16PM
Steve Conner used a ZVS as the sinewave wouldn't induce as much noise as sharp squarewaves... IIRC. I'll be doing something similar, it's the best way.

Now I don't have to execute my "UCCs under oil" plan =P
Steve Conner
Thu May 18 2006, 09:07AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
That's exactly what I'm using for my isolated gate drivers, the Mazzilli oscillator circuit. I wanted sine waves for quite a long and complicated reason.

I designed my isolated drivers as four drive boards that mount very close to their IGBTs, and plug into the main PLL box with Cat5 network cables. So I had to feed the HF AC power down this cable along with the gate drive signal. I thought if I used a square wave, the edges might couple capacitively over into the gate drive signal.

In practice I found that when I rectify the sine wave on the gate driver board, the diode recovery spikes add lots of crud anyway. frown But the Mazzilli circuit is real nice and simple. I found that if I used a choke input filter on the rectifier, the voltage regulation was good enough that I could get away without regulator ICs on each board. I just used a zener to draw some current, since the voltage skyrockets if you draw less than a critical value.

I used a ferrite E core with airgap for the mazzilli circuit, with a single output winding that fed a little ferrite toroid 1:1 isolating transformer on each board. I just did that so the different cores on the Cat5 cable wouldn't have high voltages between them. If you wanted to save some hassle, it should be fine to combine the oscillator and isolation transformer into a single component with 5 windings, the way Steve Ward etc. did. Just make sure you remember what is grounded and what is floating on your DC bus voltage.

I haven't time to think through the capacitive divider thing that Avalanche mentioned, but it just sounds plain wrong. :(
Marko
Thu May 18 2006, 05:08PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Wouldn't it be simplest to use one transformer like steve ward's big DRSSTC (a bunch of CAT5 wrapped around flyback core), possibly rectified at the place and fed to each driver?
Desmogod
Fri May 19 2006, 07:46AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Firkragg wrote ...

Wouldn't it be simplest to use one transformer like steve ward's big DRSSTC (a bunch of CAT5 wrapped around flyback core), possibly rectified at the place and fed to each driver?

I think you are missing the point of the exercise.
ragnar
Sat May 20 2006, 02:38PM
It was a dark and stormy night... the rain fell in torrents...except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in Sydney that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the blue glow of the fluorescent lamps that struggled against the darkness...

And deep in the laboratory... I started pulling isolated-gate-driver circuit boards out of my arse.

The 'ghosting (pun intended)' you see is from the nosecone rubbing oil over the surface of the board as it engraves.
1148135881 63 FT9252 Factorydark

1148135881 63 FT9252 Isodrvcu3

1148135881 63 FT9252 Isodrvcu2

1148135881 63 FT9252 Isodrvcu1
ragnar
Sun May 21 2006, 10:39AM
OK, since none of you buggers replied to my prose... I'm going to... post more pictures. (These ones are better lit since I wasn't working at midnight) cheesey

Boards had until now been conceived, designed, flipped, engraved.

Today I drilled all holes (73 holes per board, a total of 730 holes over ten boards) using 0.8mm solid tungsten carbide drills by UNION TOOL, which performed very well after I biased the axial slop in my cheap drill press to the left with an ockey strap.

These were previously 3oz double sided copper boards. I'd removed one side of the copper by peeling. Now with my excellent co-ordination since they were separated, I weeded out the groundplane from all boards (since there were artefacts from engraving, copper shavings and whiskers, and general distance issues etc) so it's now just the copper tracks.

Now I ground all ten boards' edges to size, gave them a quick acetone clean, and they are ready for tinning! =)

Stuffing will be the fun part, because then I can see how my isodrives actually perform!

Comments?

1148212280 63 FT1630 Pcbgrinder

1148207991 63 FT9252 Pcbdrill2

1148207991 63 FT9252 Pcbpeel3

1148207991 63 FT9252 Pcbdrill1

1148207991 63 FT9252 Pcbpeel2

1148207991 63 FT9252 Pcbpeel1

1148207991 63 FT9252 Pcbpeel4

1148207991 63 FT9252 Pcbacetone

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: