Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

3x 18mF @ 350V -> What to do?

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
DerAlbi
Fri Sept 10 2010, 12:02PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
A Simulation shows that the current through the coils needs the same time to drop as it needed to establish. So turning on the Current will result in the exact double time that the current flows through the coil.
With this half bridge configuration much more Stages are possible. To limit the barrel length, the coils need to be as close toghether as possible. But it is necessary that the last fired SCR is safely off. Is there any idea how to calculate or predict the minimum distance between 2 coils?

The optimal switching time would be that the current is already gone then the projectiles second half starts to escape from the coil. So theoretically the coil distance should be at least one coil length. Is that correct?

Is it ok to to have a 4cm long coil but only 3.5cm long projectile. I have read that both length should be the same.. But a longer Coil gives will give a longer area where no force is applied to the projectile so that suckback is avoided. Is that a goot tradeoff?

I have made a 3D model of the current configuration. Main detail is the distances of the coils.

1284120155 2906 FT90617 Elektrik
GhostNull
Fri Sept 10 2010, 12:58PM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
I've used photo interuptors (with phototransistors) and the rise was about 300uS at best.

Working Out wrote ...

So your bank is 3.3kJ.
Let's say you get an efficiency of 10%
So projectile will have 330J.

Since KE = (m*v^2)/2
2KE/m = v^ 2
v= sqrt(2KE/m)

Lets say you projectile is 15g

so your velocity will be:
v = sqrt(2*330/0.0015)
= sqrt(44000)
= 209 m/s

wait wtf? oh well

so your projectile is 3.5cm long so
209 m/s = 20 900 cm/s
20 900cm/s = 0.209 cm / uS

3.5 / 0.209 ~= 16.74uS

So your projectile would take aprox. 16.74uS to travel past one point... that can't be right
Let's try again!

So your bank is 3.3kJ.
Let's say you get an efficiency of 5%
So projectile will have 165J.

Let's say you projectile is 1/4' dia and 3.5cm and is 1018 low carbon steel
(1/4) inches = 0.635 centimeters
the projectile will have a volume of
pi*r^2*h = pi * 0.635^2 * 3.5
~= 4.4337 cm^3

1018 has a density of 7.7-8.03 ×1000 kg/m3 (according to Link2 )
7.7*1000 kg/m^3 = 7700 kg/m^3
7700 kg/m^3 = 0.0077 kg/cm^3

The projectile will therefore weigh:
0.0077 * 4.4337 ~= 0.034139 kg

Since v= sqrt(2KE/m)
v = sqrt(2*165/0.034139)
= sqrt 9666
~= 98.32m/s

Ah, that looks better.

so your projectile is 3.5cm long so
98.32 m/s = 9832 cm/s
9832 cm/s = 0.009832 cm / uS

3.5 / 0.009832 ~= 355.98 uS

Your projectile would take aproximately 356uS to travel past a single point
given your projectile is 1/4" diameter and you acheive 5% efficiency (not that hard unless you get suckback)

The bottom line is, Phototransistors would be too slow for a coil gun this size. You'll have to find another method (or my sensor was REALLY sh**)
DerAlbi
Fri Sept 10 2010, 01:50PM
Thanks for that fast response. I do see what is your point. I am sorry that i didnt do this simple calculation by myself.
I am suffering from inexperience verry baldy so that my concept changes every minute. In the meantime the barrel has a inner diameter of 1cm wink But your calculation are not in vain. This gives me an idea of how long the pulses will be that i will have to handle.

Phototransistor problem:
It is normally a problem of saturation and the fact that PoTr. are indeed slower compared to photodiodes. Like normal NPN transistors that are saturated they are not capable of swithcing high frequencies. Addionally there could be an influence of parasitic capacitors and slow risetimes an high switiching thesholds of the evaluating circuit.
If this becomes really a problem, i could design a low voltage operationg ciruit. Low voltage change eliminates the influence of parasitic capacitance and also it lowers the Impedance of the used circuit. Then a highspeed comperator converts the voltage level to the other logic level. That is not that hard to handle.

The IGBTs switch on in 700ns and off in 1.5µs. Thxrisotr Turnontime is 2µs.
Since my Gatedrivers are verry oversized your predicted pulselengths will not be imposible. smile
So i am thankfull for your calculations, and pleased that the project is doable. (isnt it?)
I do really hope that i do not annoy somebody with my inexperience..
GhostNull
Fri Sept 10 2010, 10:46PM
No problem, the point is that you're readily moving forward. Photo diodes would be indeed faster. There's also magnetic based sensors if you want to investigate that, but they are more complex.
DerAlbi
Mon Sept 13 2010, 12:21AM
I have experimented with photodiodes and phototransitors today. So far i have decided to use photodiodes driving a transitor. The amplified signal then is fed into a comparator with adjusable threshold.
This gives sharp rects with a delay <2µs also on capacitive load.
Phototransitors are indeed too slow and also not strong enough. Inputcapacitance would still be to high to withstand parasitic induction (if it happens). Now the biggest problem now is to find a transistor with high amplification and ultra low basis-capacitance. This is really the limiting factor (besides the comperator delay)
GhostNull
Mon Sept 13 2010, 10:18AM
How about RF transistors, this one looks okay Link2
DerAlbi
Mon Sept 13 2010, 11:36AM
Uhh this long legs should be attached to a woman tongue I am using SMD, but thank you for your interest smile. I doubt that real HF transistors will have enough gain. 200 like your example is not that much considering that (my) photodiodes will only produce ~15µA reverse current max under perfct conditions. In the end application LED and sensor will be ~1.3cm away from each other and the diode receive only a fraction of the emitted light that provided my test circuit.

Lets see what comes out. I will try some standard high gain transistors first. The delay can also be adjusted by setting the comperator reference volatge verry near to the the working point voltage. This should reduce the capacitive influence since the theshold voltagelevel is crossed verry fast/early..

This week i will try to manage the skeleton so that next week when the PCBs will be ready i have a working construction.. I will keep you informed
smile
klugesmith
Tue Sept 14 2010, 01:03AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
DerAlbi wrote ...

I have experimented with photodiodes and phototransitors today. So far i have decided to use photodiodes driving a transitor. The amplified signal then is fed into a comparator with adjusable threshold.
This gives sharp rects with a delay <2µs also on capacitive load.
Phototransitors are indeed too slow and also not strong enough. Inputcapacitance would still be to high to withstand parasitic induction (if it happens). Now the biggest problem now is to find a transistor with high amplification and ultra low basis-capacitance. This is really the limiting factor (besides the comperator delay)
Infrared-sensitive photodiodes are used as detectors in multi-gigabit fiber optic receivers.
To minimize the slowing effect of capacitance, the PD should be reverse-biased (photoconductive mode) and drive an amplifier with very low input impedance. You probably already know that -- what's your circuit configuration?
Could use an op-amp configured as transimpedance amplifier, or a bipolar transistor in common-emitter configuration, with provision to deliver some bias current to the base even when the photodiode is in the dark.
DerAlbi
Tue Sept 14 2010, 09:09AM
I have tried OpAmp - They are really slow in comparison to an optimized Comparator. at least if you pay the same money for both smile

I think to attach the circuit tells more than a text can do - keeping my english skills in mind cheesey
If you have some Ideas to improve the circuit.. feel free.. (but as i said.. this should give a good result and small delays)
1284455362 2906 FT90617 Circuit
klugesmith
Thu Sept 16 2010, 12:01AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
DerAlbi wrote ...
I think to attach the circuit tells more than a text can do - keeping my english skills in mind cheesey
If you have some Ideas to improve the circuit.. feel free.. (but as i said.. this should give a good result and small delays)
You have a very nicely drawn schematic and good looking circuit board layout.

Here is a change that might give you a larger, faster signal from the photodiode amplifier.
Connect emitter to ground without 10K resistor.
Insert 470 ohm load resistor between collector and +5V. (now this is an inverting, common emitter amplifier).
Add a 2M resistor between base and +5V, in parallel with photodiode.
Now with diode dark, you might have 2 uA of base current, 1 mA in collector, 0.5V drop in load resistor.
With diode fully illuminated, say 17 uA of base current, 8.5 mA in collector, 4V drop in load resistor.
The base voltage swing is now much smaller, so capacitance doesn't slow it down much.
The amplifier output impedance is now 470 ohms instead of 10K, so its speed is less sensitive to capacitance.

This primitive circuit is very sensitive to Hfe variations with process and temperature,
and comes close to saturating the transistor at max diode current & Hfe.
Improvements could include low frequency feedback to stabilize the operating point,
and/or AC coupling the pulse from amplifier output to comparator input.

first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: