Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

3x 18mF @ 350V -> What to do?

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
DerAlbi
Sun Jun 06 2010, 11:38PM Print
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Hi guys
I am new to this topic and i want to start with some coilgun experiments.

I have 3 BIG 18mF with 350V capacitors. This may give around 3.3kJ.

This is what i know until now:
To build a gun is verry complex if things should do an optimal job. It is also verry expensive wink I have played around with some simulators that google showed me.. (barrys simulators seems verry known here) I do not want to accelerate heavy projectiles but they should go really fast. For fast Projectiles the single coils must not be on for a long time. That gives me the problem that the capacitors do not unload completely before i have to turn off via IGBT, right? All that is switchable for be is lower than 1.2kA. So.. how to make a good design?

Would it be possible after a long optimazion period to reach >100m/s for 15g projectiles?
So far i have read that a multistage gun is more efficent than a singlestage one. Given the problem of too much capacity, i would suggest to use every capacitor twice so building a 6stage gun. I have MUCH experience in programming and configuring CPLDs, so timing isses wil not be a problem. I just dont have much experience with high current and magnetic fields and other issues such as saturation in the projectile and so on.

O have also a LOT of questions about experiences of other people, because i am unfortanely not able to research completely on my own due to a low studens budget frown

But simply at first i would love to hear some ideas for a concept for a gun with these capacitors.
This is just for the future. Of course i will start with one stage and collecting some experiences, but i really like to know to which aspects i have to pay ny attention on.

Please do not shout on me.. i am just curious. smile

Greetings
Barry
Mon Jun 07 2010, 04:41AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I just wanted to toss in a quick response, and let you know that barry does keep an eye on what's happening in here.
The bottom line is that timing is largely controlled by the LC time constant. So large capacitance can be balanced by small inductance to get the short timing needed. It generally works best to use a few turns of heavy wire in the coil: the resistance of thin wire is bad. You would have fun starting with one capacitor and a coil with a few more turns than needed; then see what happens to performance as you gradually remove turns from the coil.

Cheers, Barry
Does your party() #include <margaritas.h>?
DerAlbi
Mon Jun 07 2010, 06:03AM
Hi and thanks for your reply and for your JavaSkills smile
I want to controll the timing with IGBTs, and not just pull the trigger an discharge the cap. Due to the expensiveness of the IGBTs i want to keep the currents below 1.2kA.
I have run some simulations with LTSpice, just to look whats happening. With 0.5mH and a time of 2ms (is that kind of dimmension right?) and some ESRs (in cap and coil) i am getting 1.2kA. (interestingly that is not waht vour tool says.) This discharges my capacitor from 350V to 260V. So a second and maybe a third shot can be supplied from the cap. So theoretically a 9 stage gun should come up.

The positive thing of the half dischage is, that i do not care about switch-opening and do not use a antiparallel diode (of course there will be one for safety, but normally Id=0.) because the unused magnetic field is feed back to the cap and can be used to power the next coil. I have attached my simulation. (this is whar LTSpice says.)

If i am correct, the timing becomes shorter the faster the projectile is. I thought about this, and and want to compensate that with lower inducance every coil - is that a good way? Also it is possible to power neighbored coils at the same time and shut off the first one earlyer to have a more constant timing. (but nevertheless it becomes shorter)
I would be pleased if my ideas would be commented, or maybe just someone may say that i am stupid tongue
Also in my head, there is the idea of the changing inductance then the Projectile approaches. Would it be correct to calculate the inductance of the Coil with the iron inside?

And there is another thing.. which IGBTs for 1.2kA?..
Soooo many questions frown
]draft3.zip[/file]
klugesmith
Mon Jun 07 2010, 05:16PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
DerAlbi wrote ...
I have run some simulations with LTSpice, just to look whats happening. With 0.5mH and a time of 2ms (is that kind of dimmension right?) and some ESRs (in cap and coil) i am getting 1.2kA. (interestingly that is not waht vour tool says.) ...
The positive thing of the half dischage is, that i do not care about switch-opening and do not use a antiparallel diode (of course there will be one for safety, but normally Id=0.) because the unused magnetic field is feed back to the cap and can be used to power the next coil. I have attached my simulation. (this is whar LTSpice says.)
Did you notice that in your simulation, when the MOSFETs turn off with 950 amperes in L1, the voltage spikes to 50 kV? I think your SPICE model of MOSFET is not very accurate in the reverse-breakdown operating region. No matter how it works, the 300 joules stored in L1 will mostly be dissipated in the FETs. You can protect the FETs by connecting anode of D2 to the drains instead of the sources; then the 300 J will mostly heat R2, but the current in L1 will drop off relatively slowly.

Where do you have a problem with Barry's RLC sim result? It's consistent with simple formulas for very lightly damped RLC (since you have unrealistically low R of 1 milliohm): half-period is 11 ms, peak I is 1800 A (this assumes that the switch stays closed).
DerAlbi
Mon Jun 07 2010, 06:55PM
I have discovered this over the day.. it is already fixed. New File is attached.
Today the university gave me a 6kV 1.2kA IGBT for testing smile Nice guys.

The new graph of the current in the coils looks bad. If i would shut down the current if the projectile is already in the middle of the coil, there will be an equal force that sucks it back due to the current through the diode that sinks so slowly. is that conclusion right?

In general.. what is better?
-SingleStage
- 3-5xMultistage with high currents (1.2kA)
- more stages with moderate currents (~300A)

Anny suggestions to the design?
]draft3_1.zip[/file]
klugesmith
Mon Jun 07 2010, 08:43PM
Looking good so far.

To get the current pulses to stop faster:

1. Use a realistic value for the coil resistance.

2. Increase the resistance in series with the clamp diodes (D1, etc.) to perhaps 0.5 ohms ...
as much resistance as you can add without exceeding the breakdown voltage rating of the FETs.
Inductive kick voltage is proportional to the value of R5, and to the coil current at the moment of commutation.
DerAlbi
Mon Jun 07 2010, 09:42PM
OK, so can you give me a quick hint what is realistic?
Please for both: OnTime for a shot AND Resistance of the Coils and their inductance?
(Please note that the coils in the simulation also have their own ESR ~0.1Ohm - the additional Resistor is just fake with 1mOhm wink )
klugesmith
Tue Jun 08 2010, 01:09AM
Thanks for the reminder: I had overlooked the 0.1 ohms hiding inside the L models of your sim.
Not the first time LTSPICE fooled me with that. Since you have an explicit resistor in the schematic, how about setting the hidden resistor value to zero, to avoid confusion?
Or at least, if the parasitic resistance is significant, make its value visible!

0.1 ohms -is- realistic. Try this tool: Link2
With a coil ID of 14 mm, I got to your 470 microhenries with about 0.16 ohms of AWG14, wire. The same volume wound with AWG10 would be 74 uH, 0.025 ohms, giving a much shorter pulse (of similar field strength) if you want a self-timed pulse using (for example) an SCR switch.

As you know, the circuit simulator is a useful tool. Let me know if you want an SCR model for LTSPICE. The IGBT lets you shorten the pulse & leave energy in the capacitor, but you need to manage the braking resistance and voltage. Do you have time to make a simple, single-stage, SCR-switched coilgun for practice?

>>have also a LOT of questions about experiences of other people, because i am unfortanely not able to research completely on my own due to a low studens budget
YOu could learn a lot by reading all of Barry's websiste. Perhaps start with the "Mark 4" chapter.
DerAlbi
Tue Jun 08 2010, 01:48AM
Thanks for your reply.. and sorry for your confusion wink
My idea so far is to use IGBTs. This is an extra topic about their calculation an overstressing. The university gave me juste on 6kV @ 1.2kA IGBT for testing.
As you have said, i already have read a lot of barrys stuff. But still i have these questions mybe becaus i still have no idea about reality.
This brings me to the point that currently i say: Hey let me just get some practice, measure the force on a projectile for your self and try some simulations via FEM. After this i will try an easy singlestage gun. For experimental timings, velocityn friction, eddy currents and so on. Then i want to create a FEM model for this too.
But: currently i just try to get an overlook about all this. It is a really expensive hobby for me so i do not want to have so many iterations. To get an overlook e.g. i try to simulate on/of currents via IGBT with the circuit you have seen. But for this i already need some information like "what concept is efficent (singeltage, multisage highcurrent, multisage medium current)" what are normal Timings and "onTimes" for the coils.
Also it is interesting to choose the material for the tube for the projectiles.. i have read about plastictubes but my head says that will melt on high velocities and maybe slotted coppertube hast too much eddycurrents between the slots.. so i NEED do ask for your experience smile And reading will never bring me the answer to that because i cant weight the problems that brings every solutions for now wink

This is my current plan:
- The first thing i will do now is to try to find out what makes it possible to charge 3x 18mF caps to 350V in a good time (20sec) from a battery (12-24V).
- Next thing will be: before connecting the charger: build a discahrger.
- Then i will limit the voltage to 50V for safe experiments for a future singlestage gun.
- Then: how to switch these currents - IGBTs - which ones, how much can they be overstressed due to the short time of stress.
- Then i have to invent a kind of a security system, like overcurrent protection for each coil (and their IGBTs).
- After this i need a mangagement for the timings. Maybe CPLD or FPGA with a µC that loads configurable delays into the logic-IC.
- add some Stages an optimze

Is something wrong with this? Please add forgotten things and strikeout waht is not necessary.
..and maybe give me a hint how to cahrge caps efficent - this would be my starting point for the next days.

Thanks for your support so far, i hope this will continue cheesey
GhostNull
Tue Jun 08 2010, 09:11AM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
How about putting them in series and making a railgun instead?
54mF seems a bit much for a coilgun =S for me
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: