Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Low powering magnetron

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Not Dangerous
Sat May 15 2010, 11:15AM Print
Not Dangerous Registered Member #2859 Joined: Sat May 15 2010, 11:08AM
Hi. I'm italian and i don't know english very well, so excuse me :D
Btw, i have a magnetron taken from a microwave oven. I'm not sure that the magnetron works. I would try it at low power: i'm conscious of the risk delivered by the microwaves, expecally at high power (1000W), and I do not want do experiments with high power microwaves.
My idea is to turn on the magnetron at low powers, like 10 watts or minus. It is possible? if i will change the filament current can I reduce the emission power?
radiotech
Sat May 15 2010, 04:36PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
What do you want to do with the magnetron apart from the oven?

Lowering the filament current will lower the output power of the magnetron. Operating it with no load ( waveguide and oven cavity)
would damage it rapidly.

A good way to test the magnetron is to heat a cup of water
for a period of time and measure the temperature rise. This is a method shown in the service manuals for ovens.
Not Dangerous
Sat May 15 2010, 04:44PM
radiotech wrote ...

What do you want to do with the magnetron apart from the oven?

Lowering the filament current will lower the output power of the magnetron. Operating it with no load ( waveguide and oven cavity)
would damage it rapidly.

A good way to test the magnetron is to heat a cup of water
for a period of time and measure the temperature rise. This is a method shown in the service manuals for ovens.

sorry I expressed myself badly. I have been disassembled a microwave oven about 3-4 years ago. The microwave did no more heat the food, so it's a possibility that the problem was the magnetron.

My idea (powering the magnetron at low powers) is for experiment with microwave, not exatly to try if the magnetron works... if the magnetron doesn't work, i will retry the experiment with another one.

So, can a magnetron be low powered easily?
Proud Mary
Sat May 15 2010, 04:58PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Magnetrons have what is called a "theshold voltage" below which oscillation will not occur.

You will have to look at your magnetron's data sheet to find the threshold voltage, but you can be sure that operation at the threshold voltage will still produce potentially dangerous amounts of microwave energy.

I take the view that if you do not know even these most basic facts about magnetrons, you should leave them well alone. Microwaves from an oven magnetron could destroy your eyes in less than a second.

Leave well alone.
radiotech
Sat May 15 2010, 05:22PM
You can experiment with microwaves safely and easily using transistors. A good place to look is ARRL publications and also Italian ham radio sites.
Not Dangerous
Sat May 15 2010, 07:05PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Magnetrons have what is called a "theshold voltage" below which oscillation will not occur.

You will have to look at your magnetron's data sheet to find the threshold voltage, but you can be sure that operation at the threshold voltage will still produce potentially dangerous amounts of microwave energy.

I take the view that if you do not know even these most basic facts about magnetrons, you should leave them well alone. Microwaves from an oven magnetron could destroy your eyes in less than a second.

Leave well alone.

This is why i want power it at max 10 watts and in fact this is why i have opened this 3ad :D

I image the output intensity is proportional at the magnetron current, if i hold the standard voltage and i reduce the current does it work?

Not Dangerous
Sat May 15 2010, 07:06PM
radiotech wrote ...

You can experiment with microwaves safely and easily using transistors. A good place to look is ARRL publications and also Italian ham radio sites.

microwave generators are based on high frequency oscillating circuit + antenna, right? in this case i cannot buid it
radiotech
Sat May 15 2010, 07:33PM
microwave generators are based on high frequency oscillating circuit + antenna, right? in this case i cannot buid it

So is operating a magnetron-

Your tube cannot produce 10 watts. voltage * current * efficiency =
output power .

You might experiment with a 2.4 Ghz portable telephone and a very cheap microwave oven leakage tester like this one and the 3000 mHz frequency counter. Both can be bought for less money than a X-box video toy.

1273951986 2463 FT89230 Microwave
Kilham
Sat May 15 2010, 09:13PM
Kilham Registered Member #2814 Joined: Wed Apr 21 2010, 12:28PM
Go buy a Gunn diode and stick it in a bit of waveguide. Make sure you also have a high-speed Schottky diode so you can detect any output. It won't fry you but might get you into trouble for operating an unlicensed microwave transmitter.
hboy007
Sat May 15 2010, 09:19PM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
So you just want to build a low-powered RF source and reproduce some experiments. Even pulsed operation may be more dangerous as the average radiated power suggests. You may have to go a bit into the physics of wave propagation but you can construct the following: Mount the Magnetron onto a waveguide and then to a circulator, connect the next opening to a piece of waveguide that is too small for propagation of the lowest mode which will exponentially dampen the amplitude over its length and finish the circuilator with an absorber at the last port. You will mainly use this device as an electric stove but it is safe by design (once designed properly wink ). You can only increase ouput power by cutting off the output waveguide or in a hopeless effort to match waveguide impedance to free-space impedance. (match a complex impedance to a real one if you dare smile sorry, this makes no sense)

If you choose to build the above setup, you will learn a lot, I promise smile

[edit] added missing words. Sorry for that.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: