All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Linux is evil

first  2 3 4 5
Move Thread LAN_403
Ben
Thu May 11 2006, 04:39PM
Ben Vigilatny
Registered Member #17 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:47PM
I agree that linux is an awful bitch to get to work sometimes, but I don't like the suggestions Eric Raymond gives either. I don't want my computer automatically searching nor do I want it disabling choices for me. Perhaps I want to set up the computer for a network I'm not on...etc.

So the difference to me is, linux will always work if you really want it to, where as windows will work really quickly and easily....if it works.
Carbon_Rod
Thu May 11 2006, 09:57PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
The “WPA key” is not fool proof (nor kid proof after a time as NetStumbler had some interesting helper-programs that are not generally reported in the mainstream.) Kerberos with a virtual TCP over IPX proxy (static DHCP list only.) with a VPN network on top can be much better. Novell makes money for a reason. Also lowering the broadcast strength requires individuals to get close enough to spot. WHAX is a neat live CD that is specialized for wireless leak testing.

I don’t like the grc guy too much – tries to tell people he discovered the packet runt (years too late.) Does he still publicly hype this with the testing software? Ha ha ha -- what a character. But I do respect some of his placebo utilities for legacy hardware (mostly how he went about the design.)

As for passwords -- there are verification routines that monitor how you type too (a failed login even with valid data.)

Cheers,
Simon
Fri May 12 2006, 02:35AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Ben wrote ...

So the difference to me is, linux will always work if you really want it to, where as windows will work really quickly and easily....if it works.

Well put.

You could also paraphrase the "GUIs make simple things simple and complex things impossible." Except it's not strictly impossible, just a lot of work.

Try using a typical Microsoft application to take everything in a document surrounded by * (as in "I *love* regular expressions") and surround them instead with <B> and </B> ("I <B>love</B> regular expressions"). You've got a day's work ahead of you. In *nix, you can just use a simple sed command - if you know how to use sed.
Bjørn
Fri May 12 2006, 06:19AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
I agree that linux is an awful bitch to get to work sometimes, but I don't like the suggestions Eric Raymond gives either. I don't want my computer automatically searching nor do I want it disabling choices for me. Perhaps I want to set up the computer for a network I'm not on...etc.
There is no universe where making a simple setup program has to cause any problems (even if it frequently does). It is a matter of providing documentation of all parameters that needs to be configured and a set of autodetect buttons that also document what they are autodetecting and when they are useful. The "wizard tree" should be set up so that if you want to do something that is not covered you get a list of the commands you need to use and up to date documentation on how the commands work. At the end of it all there should be a simple report/test option.

The last *nix insanity I had to endure was to get X to work on FreeBSD.
1. The documentation promised that the files should be on the HD (they were not).
2. The friendly program to get the files off the CD needed frequent resets and used 5 hours to load the files off the CD.
3. The commands promised in the documentation did not exist.
4. The commands that did exist did not take the same parameters.
5. Starting X resulted in a display of random dots that needed a reset.
6. The documentation for configuring the hardware was not correct.

It all took two days and makes buying Windows XP a sensible alternative. Luckily Linux usually does not require two days to set up basic configurations but there are still many traps to fall into that are completely needless. It is not because it is the best solution but because it was the simplest way out for the developers.

The alternative? Look at Oberon where the documentation is the setup program, you can execute commands directly from the document and edit the parameters as needed. Then add some ideas from Wiki and a big sign saying "No Cargo Cult documentation allowed!".
Simon
Sat May 13 2006, 12:19AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Getting X to work took some effort for me, too, but strangely I had none of the problems you listed.

FreeBSD is great, but it's not the instant noodles kind of OS.
Hellmark
Sat May 13 2006, 10:11PM
Hellmark Registered Member #189 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 07:43PM
the nice thing about *nix is that while you can have a nice GUI manage stuff for you, if there is something that is difficult to do using that GUI, you aren't forced to have to use the GUI. You have the best of both worlds right there, letting you pick and choose what you want.
first  2 3 4 5

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: