Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Solid State Disruptive Coil Spark Gaps

first  5 6 7 8 
Move Thread LAN_403
Terry Fritz
Mon Jun 12 2006, 06:59AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

Tonight I used the SISG for the lightning ball experiment in the other forum here. I did not think much about using it first since there was no time and it had to go!!

It fired twice:

1. 1800V 60e-6F into probably ~15ohms (97.2J). The timing on the SISG was set for 400uS and it turned off with about 800 volts still on the cap. The SISG survived this.

2. 5400V 60e-6F into probably ~15 ohms (875J). All the IGBTs shorted to zero ohms.

So ether the IGBTs over heated for the raw energy or the short timing opened them and and heating once again got to them. The IGBTs showed not physical damage at all (SUPER -TO247 package).

I have not had anytime to think more on it but I wanted to write it all down before I forgot.

More -- After some calculation, the instant thermal heating on the die in the first case was well below its rating. Breaking open the circuit at 400uS was also fairly easy.

However, in the second case the die critically over heat in about 50uS. The higher current (into about 8.22 ohms) dissipated 10X the power and the IGBTs never had a chance. Then they get hit with another 28 joules to finish them off for sure.

So easily explained and no problem at all for Tesla coil stuff. But the 8.22 ohms is probably good for a conventional spark gap now in the case of the plasma ball experiment. smile The 800V at 400uS gives great knowledge there amazed A very complex dynamic high current ohmmeter...

Cheers,

Terry

vasil
Mon Jun 12 2006, 01:22PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Just one question:
SISG topology can work with MOSFETs also instead IGBTs?
I have some small secondaries (higher frequnecies) around....
Marko
Mon Jun 12 2006, 04:26PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Yep, but mosfets will blow themselves up when you put 100's of amps trough their high ohmic resistances (power waste is I^2*R). You need IGBT with constant voltage drop to handle that current.

I think you don't need some seriously fast GBT's while there is only one hard transistent per bang..
Terry Fritz
Mon Jun 12 2006, 04:30PM
SISG topology can work with MOSFETs also instead IGBTs?

Sure! Mosfets will not be able to take the super currents of IGBTs, but for smaller lower current stuff that is not a problem. The speed is not an issue since it is a simple "once per bang" switch. You will need an anti-parallel diode to allow high currents to pass in the opposite direction. I am not sure the FET body diode will like that in many cases. You may be able to use a pretty plain big diode for that since again speed is not an issue.

Cheers,

Terry
Terry Fritz
Sun Sept 17 2006, 05:25AM
Hi All,

The SISG is the only coil I use now wink)

I only run at 4800V "still" due to space limits. It could go to 6800V if I take out the jumpers >:-))

In preparation for high speed pictures follwing TDU's work, I have a number of "big" streamer pictures online now:

Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

The schematic is here:

Link2

A scarry coil in that it is "silent" till it "goes off"!!! And it packs more than leathal power!!! But a neat and easy performer so far wink) Scares me and Gerry wink))

A warning not to go playing with the streamers!! There is very little between you and "electric chair" currents there!!! cry

But the SISG continues to run flawlessly, happily, and impressivly... The Cp cap is underated as I have it, but a proper new cap will be ordered when this one blows. wink)

Cheers,

Terry

Mark Dinsmore
Thu Sept 21 2006, 04:56AM
Mark Dinsmore Registered Member #484 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:29PM
Hi,

Has anyone ever thought about using a laser capacitor charging type power supply to run a SISG? They are essentially high power constant current power sources, capable of kilovolts of output and at least hundreds of watts of power. The constant current (which I think is adjustable) would give you a nice, stable, and adjustable break rate, and eliminate the dissipation from the charging resistors. It would be essentially a very high power relaxation oscillator. They would be bulletproof in this application, as they are designed to charge caps that are suddenly discharged when the laser fires. They show up on ebay from time to time, or there might be some way to convert a tig welder into a similar source.

Mark
Terry Fritz
Thu Sept 21 2006, 05:19AM
Hi,

As far as I know, a real dedicated HV cap charging supply should work fine. I use a MOT, diodes, and resistors just because anyone can easily reproduce those.

Cheers,

Terry
Tesladownunder
Tue Oct 24 2006, 04:47PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
If this is to be regarded as a stable sytem usable for long running museum demos then primary strikes need to be considered. I am still concerned about a primary strike letting smoke out even though the IGBT's are on at that stage.
Have you actually tested primary strikes or do you rely on dragons to keep them at bay?

Peter
teravolt
Wed Oct 25 2006, 03:00AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I like Reaching's modified SCR scematic to. why not get rid of the mosfet portion all together and replace the SCR with a hocky puck of about 1200v and use sidacs, or zeners, or a comparitor to trigger it. An inductive circuit would have to be in series to make enough inductive kikback to turn off the SCR. what does any body think. N.
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Oct 25 2006, 04:55AM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
teravolt wrote ...

I like Reaching's modified SCR scematic to. why not get rid of the mosfet portion all together and replace the SCR with a hocky puck of about 1200v and use sidacs, or zeners, or a comparitor to trigger it. An inductive circuit would have to be in series to make enough inductive kikback to turn off the SCR. what does any body think. N.

Those big "puks" look real neat at first, but then you look at the numbers. The turn-on times are awful. The turn-OFF times even worse. Add to that a very substantial voltage drop and they're pretty much unusable for this purpose. They'd eat a crazy amount of power during turn-on, I think (if your SIDACs didn't catch on fire first smile).

Lately Dynex and a few other power semiconductor makers have started making what they call "pulse power" thyristors. Those may show more promise, but are undoubtedly very expensive. They are specifically meant to replace conventional thyratrons, and come in voltages all the way up to 12kV! I suspect the price tags are in the several-$k range, not unlike the bigger 6.5kV IGBT bricks.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
first  5 6 7 8 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: