Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Solid State Disruptive Coil Spark Gaps

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Sun May 14 2006, 05:42AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Hey Conner McSteve,

a thought just popped into my head... how does your OLTC perform if you let it ring out for many notches? Is there a major hit in performance? Terry's "spark gap" is basically a simplified OLTC that doesnt have the ability to quench, so it would be easy to set one of your OLTCs like this and compare performance.

Terry,

We can see that your switch works just fine as a switch, but until you test it to make sparks, we will never know for sure how it works in a TC. Your test cant make assumptions about streamer formation, since we dont completely understand that part yet, so someone will just have to test your switch and see how it "really" performs.

I still prefer the "complex" DRSSTCs, much better use of the silicon i think.
HV Enthusiast
Sun May 14 2006, 12:41PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
In regards to quenching, it may not be necessary with a high efficiency solid state switch. Remember, that in a conventional Tesla coil, quenching is necessary as energy transfers back and forth between primary and secondary and a considerable amount of the energy will be lost as heat due to losses within the spark gap. In a spark gap coil, we would like the spark gap to quench (usually within a few notches) to reduce these spark gap losses and keep most of the energy on the secondary side. However, since there is no spark gap or source for high losses with a solid state spark gap, quenching may not be necessary.

Of course, if the solid state spark gap turns off too soon or at a point where energy is at a maximum on the primary side, that could reduce performance.

But as was mentioned, lots of experimentation still needs to be performed to see exactly how this new circuit works, what effects no quenching has, and so far . . .

Steve Conner
Sun May 14 2006, 01:15PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi Ward McSteve,

The OLTC really worked much the same if I let it ring out. The spark output was no different as far as I could tell. The primary circuit did get a bit hotter though due to more losses, and the charging voltage tried to kick up higher due to boost converter action, what with the switch being on longer.

Better use of the silicon is all very well, but "pretty is what works" wink It seems to me that there's still an entry barrier to DRSSTCs due to them being hard to understand, although Steve Ward has done a lot to lower that with the simple feedback driver and ready-made PCBs. Terry's new thingy is "Just like a spark gap but solid state", and it comes with the trusted Fritz brand name wink so folks will be comfortable with it.

I think it's kind of like the Chevy vs. riced-out Honda debate. The DRSSTC is the "Hot import" of Tesla coiling. You can make that Honda go faster than a Corvette, but it takes a lot of work with strange new technologies that can go wrong spectacularly. There may not be a clean answer, and there will always be plenty of champions on both sides.

I believe a DRSSTC can give about 4ft of streamers from four TO-247 IGBTs. I personally got 36", and trashed the IGBTs in the process, but I think others have done better since. I was running 600V devices on 400V DC, and I don't think anyone has ever tried TO-247s on a 600V DC bus, which would be the fair comparison since Terry's stack uses the 900V devices.

If you can't get 4ft from four TO-247s, there's always the OLTC record, 6'9" with 4.2kW :P If you can beat that (either directly, or scaled, by achieving bigger Freau and Watts numbers) we'll know the higher voltage tank circuit is more efficient than my 1kV system was. Break out the MOTs Terry!
HV Enthusiast
Sun May 14 2006, 02:41PM
wrote ...

Better use of the silicon is all very well, but "pretty is what works" It seems to me that there's still an entry barrier to DRSSTCs due to them being hard to understand. . .

Other than some of the finer points and details regarding the DRSSTC, i don't believe the DRSSTC concept is hard to understand at all. The concept is quite simple and really not at all more difficult to understand than the conventional spark gap coil, although the implementation using electronic devices makes them a bit more complex.

wrote ...

I believe a DRSSTC can give about 4ft of streamers from four TO-247 IGBTs. I personally got 36", and trashed the IGBTs in the process, but I think others have done better since.

Correct. I have run my DRSSTC II system using 600V TO-247's as a drop in replacement for the 40N60's and have achieved output arcs exceeding 7 feet with these. There really is no difference between the TO-247s and ISOPAKs other than thermal properties (assuming identical dies). If you can cool a TO-247 properly, it should perform no better or worse than the same die in a SOT-227 package. I don't know why everyone believes these SOT-227 devices have some sort of magical property to work more profoundly than a TO-247. Its just thermal impedance, nothing more . . . If you're smart enough to develop a system to provide adequate cooling, that the TO-247 will work just as well.

Terry Fritz
Mon May 15 2006, 04:39AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

There is a new paper here where I try to "tell all" in one single document:

Link2

Copy and past the link I guess... Or go here... Link2
Going to take me a few years to figure this "forum" stuff out wink

This server does not have nuclear terrorist defenses so it should be easier to get through to. smile

It sounds like Dan might get the first "real" system going! I wired up a quickie with the two modules I had. It is not optimal at all but it did make sparks! I made a little 20 meg movie:

Link2

I need to get boards on order. and a few other parts... 20 IGBTs will be here Tuesday. I am still working on heatsinking.

how does your OLTC perform if you let it ring out for many notches? Is there a major hit in performance?

Remember that the OLTC is a fairly high loss system. Low voltage and high current. The SISG thing is high voltage at lower current so the losses are far less like in a conventional coil. The primay "Q" is proportional to Lpri so this system can support far higher primary inductances for far higher "Q". However, I did run it into like 650nH/600nF here for high current testing which is similar to the OLTC case and the resistance is about 0.050 ohms:

Link2

Dan explains that now the gap losses are "gone" so running a coil with many notches should not be a problem. Do note that if you run the primary without the secondary (or out of tune), the caps might explode now since the firey spark gap can no longer be counted on to burn up the power!! Also, many notches drives up the primary RMS current a bit. System losses are sort of "all different" now.

I believe a DRSSTC can give about 4ft of streamers from four TO-247 IGBTs

One should check out this fire breathing IGBT in the SUPER TO-247 package!

Link2

Junction to case is 0.20 C/W. 1200V, 120/240 amps and 595W!! I have run them to 800 amps and they seem to "like" that!! amazed

Rell.com has like 7000 leaded versions and is trying to sell them for like $8 each!! But a part broker might have already grabed them... They normall go for about $15. Mounting them to a heat sink is a challenge though. At 600W that would be water cooled copper! Fortunately in the SISG case, just a little heat sink is fine.

I still prefer the "complex" DRSSTCs, much better use of the silicon i think.

There is one big advantage the SISG might have. It should be very hard to break. It is "made" out of over voltage devices and everything is very well protected. I think the circuit can take a full streamer hit without damage. That alone might be its claim to fame in the commercial coiling world.

Of course, it might pave the way for future stuff too. Looke what Jimmy and all did with the OLTC!! cheesey

All the small testing is done now. Mark, Dan and me are ordering parts and boards for a full system, so we'll see how it goes!

Cheers,
Terry

Late news...

I have updated the master "tell all" document at:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/SISG.pdf

I will try to keep it "updated" as time allows... A little slow now while I wait for parts...

I now have all the parts on order for a ~250W dual MOT coil. Should be going by next weekend... Mark or Dan will probably have their's going sooner smile Pretty good for "idea - to final working coils" in three weeks!!

Peter mentioned "The reason I worry about the quenching is that with my SIDAC string in place of a spark gap, sparks were only 2 inches with 5kV input."

My 14.6 watt test at 1.8kV got to 5 inches with a 150nF primary cap tongue cheesey

I think the SIDACs can take about 100 amps peak for "one" cycle and then they seem to conk out or go highly resistive. That was the problem with your test. Many nights I stared at your site wondering "why" it did not "work"... I think I know know... SIDACS just can't pass the primary current for any length of time... But they can "trigger" amazed

If this all works out, as it now appears it will, it will be real cool smile But what is even cooler is all the extensions and new stuff this could introduce!! People already "got plans" for sync triggering and quenching... Even talk of a "PIC" that could detect "situations" and act "appropiately"!! We can only hope that a giant thing may come of it like the DRSSTC did for solid state coils!!! Plans of even a Wysock model 13 class SISG gap wink

Some think that with all this modern stuff, that Tesla coils have gotten boring. But really is is just a 100 year old technoly "catching up" to the modern world!! It sure is hard!!! But it is coming very fast now smile

I look forward to arcing the next coil to all the SISG circuits to see if I "can" blow it up suprised There is a chance a negative streamer could mess up the gate voltage in the negative direction delaying or turning off the IGBT at a bad time... Probably should use "uni-directional" TVSs smile) If it gets to the point where one "can't" blow it up, that is a real big step in this sport!! amazed

Cheers again,

Terry
Dr. Drone
Tue May 16 2006, 09:52PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
coaster_chris
Wed May 17 2006, 08:56AM
coaster_chris Registered Member #359 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 09:27AM
That's a job very nicely done Terry!! shades
The scope readings show good effecient results, and now seeing the movie of it al working...
SWEET! amazed!

Chris
Terry Fritz
Mon May 22 2006, 06:36AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

Today I finally got everything working!!!

Firing at 3600V 150nF 120BPS 117W

It could arc to ground 23 inches!! 23 inches at 117W puts the Freau number at 2.13!! I ran out of time today to do any other tests but everything seems perfect!! It could probably arc further if I tried to tune the coil in and everythig wink

The IGBT sections seem to be working perfectly!! I wrote up the latest details in the ongoing PDF file here:

Link2

Mostly pictures of all the stuff. Here is a big picture of the final gap:

Link2

Here is an arc (15 inches):

Link2

There is a newer movie here done a few days ago (14 MB):

Link2

The MOT charging system was messed up so I was working on that the last two days.

I hope to get it going at the full 5400 volts tomorrow. Maybe I can get 35 inches out of it at 262 watts amazed

Cheers,
Terry
ragnar
Mon May 22 2006, 11:22AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Terry! That's just... bloody brilliant!
HV Enthusiast
Mon May 22 2006, 11:29AM
Awesome Terry. I haven't got around to getting my set-up running yet as i've been busy finishing up a few other things, but will get to it soon.

Dan

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: