hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Massive Fireball

Move Thread LAN_403
quicksilver
Mon Jul 05 2010, 07:10PM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
This child is staring death in the face.
Link2
GhostNull
Mon Jul 05 2010, 10:52PM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
that doesn't look thaaaaat bad
HVgeek
Sat Jul 17 2010, 10:39AM
HVgeek Registered Member #2998 Joined: Tue Jul 13 2010, 08:34PM
This child is staring death in the face.

Hardly. Maybe second degree burns at worst. And those are entirely his problem. If he's too stupid to learn from it, what'cha gonna do?

Well, I too recommend propane or butane. You really need to keep it controlled and safe if it's for a public display. Unless of course you're going to do it illegally, and i bid you good luck in getting away with it afterwards. A simple regular ball-valve and some sort of funnel to the ignotion source would do thought. As long as the whole thing is stable and safe with no loose connections and rubber hoses you might just get approved.

Read up on it though, that's my advice. There usually are standards for this type of thing in to be found in the town hall. Just ask around.
GalFisk
Mon Jul 19 2010, 08:32AM
GalFisk Registered Member #3013 Joined: Mon Jul 19 2010, 07:53AM
You should start the ignition before releasing the propane, I recommend a good electric spark/arc. You don't need much gas for a nice fireball, so the risk of gas from a failed collecting somewhere and igniting later is negligible if you're out in the open. When released under pressure the gas will mix rapidly with air and disperse.
It is also possible to fire liquid fuel using compressed air, by placing the fuel in a barrel after the valve. For a very different effect you can dissolve some boric acid in methanol, for a bright green fireball. Other colors are also possible with methanol.
Mike
Sun Jul 25 2010, 03:21AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Yep, a few years back I used to build massive air cannons. One of the coolest things to do was take a pole about 5ft tall and set a flaming paper towel or rag (maybe gas soaked) on top of the pole. Then I put about 5-10fluid oz (this may be excess, I didn't experiment with it too much) down the barallel and aimed the cannon at the pole and released. It makes an AWESOME fireball. I got around 10ft diameter and it leaves a huge smoke ring that floats up. Just be warned if you do this too low to the ground it may catch fire, and if you aren't far enough away you will get burnt. I usually opened the valve standing about 10ft from the pole but again, im not responsible for you killing yourself or causing a massive fire. gl
quicksilver
Mon Jul 26 2010, 05:33PM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
Quite realistically, there is a difference between a display and an FAE. If I was considering that, I would refresh my knowledge all the idiosyncrasies of safe operation of gas ignition & control so as to avoid entrapment of gas in a manner that results in an explosion. Overhangs, ignition timing, foliage, jet size & many more issues could turn the thing sour & leave you with some serious repercussions.
cedric
Tue Jul 27 2010, 08:27AM
cedric Registered Member #2941 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 08:08AM
I did something similar when I was a kid ,a metal can with 100 gram of black powder and wax powder on top to feel the rest,no compression(the box must stay open) ,electric ignition ,very convincing result ,beautiful .
Martin King
Tue Jul 27 2010, 11:21PM
Martin King Registered Member #3040 Joined: Tue Jul 27 2010, 03:15PM
I do this sort of thing professionally and although I'm UK based large flame effects I've built have been used in the US. As others have said a Propane cannon otherwise known as a "woofer" (a term also used for air powered debris cannons) is the way to go. Powder is too unreliable/messy as it never burns completely, liquid causes a problem if it fails to ignite for whatever reason you end up with a major fire hazard (you still have a problem with gas if it fails to light but at least it disperses rather than just sits there and it tends to light a lot easier than liquid BTW see my avatar for a liquid system). For guaranteed ignition you want a large pilot flame such as that from a roofing burner (a small pilot runs the risk of being blown out), for amateur/outdoor use this can be left burning but we turn it on just before firing the cannon and have flame monitoring to check that the pilot is lit before firing the cannon. For dumping the gas you need a large bore fast acting valve. For "single shot" use a manually operated ball valve operated from a distance with a "piece of string" (tm) would do (although it will result in more of a large jet of flame rather than a fireball) but for repeated firing you need a large solenoid valve which aren't particularly cheap although you can sometimes find them surplus or from Ebay etc. relatively cheaply .To get a good fireball you need to open and close the valve fairly quickly, the shorter the time the valve is open, the smaller the fireball . A VERY early prototype I built used a small air receiver from a truck (scrapyard) and a valve from a surplus supplier, total cost about £40. For any sort of commercial use you're likely to need over pressure relief valves, braided hose, inert gas purging, gas leak detection, pilot monitoring and maybe even high flow-rate flashback arrestors even though they're pointless on a fuel gas only system that has inert gas purging, but try explaining that to a clueless H&S guy frown.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: