hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Thermite VS HDD

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Bored Chemist
Sat May 01 2010, 09:25PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

So why does a rare earth magnet flash when you crunch it?
Because it's pretty nearly the same alloy as lighter "flints" are made from
Link2

The chemistry of the rare earth metals is similar enough that swapping cerium for Nd won't make much difference.
Steve Conner
Sat May 01 2010, 09:29PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

So why does a rare earth magnet flash when you crunch it?
The rare earths all spark when you grind them. Lighter flints are made of "Mischmetal" which is just a mixture of all the rare earths unseparated. They used to contain neodymium before it got more profitable to extract it for making magnets. Link2

Edit: Oh meh, Bored Chemist beat me to it.
Nicko
Sat May 08 2010, 05:59AM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
cduma wrote ...

I made a 80:30 mix of FeO2 and Al and place it ontop of my HDD lit it and ran. Fire, smoke and molten metal follow...
quicksilver wrote ...

...Why in Heavens did you RUN when you lit the thermite? You can't see what's happening if you run.
Sometimes running is an extremely good idea...

Link2 and Link2 (another recording this time from a camera phone Link2

My youngest son filmed the first one from about 5 metres away. If you listen carefully you can hear someone saying "run away" and can see a brick end flying past the camera at the end... Nothing was left except a dent in the ground and a faint smudge of what might have once been pumpkin. Flaming bricks were found some distance away but amazingly no-one was hurt and no cars damaged. A few people had small burns on their clothing... It seems thermite is now banned from UK teslathons...
Mark-H
Fri May 14 2010, 10:36AM
Mark-H Registered Member #607 Joined: Tue Mar 27 2007, 10:39AM
Quicksilver... Re Nicko's links to Youtube. Preperation & planning is the key, not running.
If in doubt, my advice is to never EVER burn thermite through an object, sealed or otherwise, without knowing what reaction you'll get from the individual components within.
The reaction in this case was expected, but the setup was flawed.
This was not done at the Teslathon per se, but afterwards. Nonetheless, it hasn't been repeated that I'm aware. And rightly so. Been there, seen that etc is enough for me.

One suggestion form a once fellow coiler the previous year was to cast something with thermite.
Would make an unusual art piece. Not so exciting maybe, (depending upon your viewpoint) but just as interesting.

Cheers.
Steve Conner
Fri May 14 2010, 10:45AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Oh, yeah, the famous Cambridge thermite disaster. :)

Moral of the story: Thermite, ice, bricks and spectators don't mix.
Mark-H
Fri May 14 2010, 11:47AM
Mark-H Registered Member #607 Joined: Tue Mar 27 2007, 10:39AM
Steve... "Disaster" might be an overstatement. (IMHO) Thoughtless and with hindsight, dangerous without a doubt.
However, it does bring home (and that was my previous point) that if you're dabbling with the unknown & unseen or lack experience, expect the unexpected. Then plan for it plus an extra margin. (The "extra" was missed in that particular case.)
That's why I now race a 380BHP bike. Soooo much safer... I know, I see and I have experience. And it only involves myself.
Cheers...
Martin King
Wed Jul 28 2010, 12:45AM
Martin King Registered Member #3040 Joined: Tue Jul 27 2010, 03:15PM
A thermic lance will melt pretty much anything. Easy to build but you need an Oxygen cylinder. Running is never a good idea, if you think you may need to run then it's probably best to ignite it remotely and make sure everyone is at a safe distance. Hand lighting fireworks for public displays is dying out and for good reason, a company in the UK recently had an incident where a crew member nearly blew his hand off, they have now banned hand lighting.
Hon1nbo
Wed Jul 28 2010, 01:33PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
Martin King wrote ...

A thermic lance will melt pretty much anything. Easy to build but you need an Oxygen cylinder. Running is never a good idea, if you think you may need to run then it's probably best to ignite it remotely and make sure everyone is at a safe distance. Hand lighting fireworks for public displays is dying out and for good reason, a company in the UK recently had an incident where a crew member nearly blew his hand off, they have now banned hand lighting.

here in the US hand lighting is still widely used for non-automated shows - we just use a long stick with a road flare attached as well as procedure (gave us about four extra feet from our hands to the fuse). I personally like to use a Long Handled Propane Torch (available for about $40 and gives an extra three feet, but it is electronically lit has an adjustable flame and most importantly you can turn it off, then back on which is useful for shells that don't go off or in my case a 600 shot cake that didn't light during the finale electronically)

also, most shooters I know are trained initially to hand light because it is still common and needs the most training, and you learn more in the process including a true respect for the power of 1.3g fireworks.... some people I know even hand lit 6 inch shells, though they do so no more thanks to electronic equipment but they still hand light 3's and 4's.

BTW: in the UK, so you still have above 8 inch shells rated to the equivalent of our 1.3g (display grade fireworks?) - in the US they've been deemed higher explosives, available only to those under the Grandfather Principle or with an even higher explosives license

Happy Shooting! I hope to have my Operators License in a few years time, otherwise I'll have to use loopholes in the system all of my life mistrust

-Jimmy
Martin King
Wed Jul 28 2010, 10:43PM
Martin King Registered Member #3040 Joined: Tue Jul 27 2010, 03:15PM
DaJJHman wrote ...

also, most shooters I know are trained initially to hand light because it is still common and needs the most training, and you learn more in the process including a true respect for the power of 1.3g fireworks.... some people I know even hand lit 6 inch shells, though they do so no more thanks to electronic equipment but they still hand light 3's and 4's.

BTW: in the UK, so you still have above 8 inch shells rated to the equivalent of our 1.3g (display grade fireworks?) - in the US they've been deemed higher explosives, available only to those under the Grandfather Principle or with an even higher explosives license

Happy Shooting! I hope to have my Operators License in a few years time, otherwise I'll have to use loopholes in the system all of my life mistrust

-Jimmy

I have been trained in handlighting and have handlit small shows in the past. We still occasionally handlight "safe" pyro purely for performance reasons (most of our shows aren't just shell chucking, they involve live performance, lighting, projection etc. etc.) and we will sometimes handlight as a backup for a failed igniter but that is usually too dangerous due to site layout. Larger shells are becoming an issue, the largest I've done is 16" Link2 and that's quite possibly the last 16" shell fired in the UK ? Unfortunately it burst low and blew the windows out of the lighthouse it was next to (looked great though). We don't have licensing for firer's in the UK for cat 4 fireworks you need insurance and licensed storage and that's about it.
Nicko
Thu Jul 29 2010, 05:31AM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
Martin King wrote ...

...Larger shells are becoming an issue, the largest I've done is 16" Link2 and that's quite possibly the last 16" shell fired in the UK ? Unfortunately it burst low and blew the windows out of the lighthouse it was next to (looked great though).
Was this you too? Link2

So, apart from blowing up the lighthouse & burning down the pier, it was a great show wink

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: