All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction Heater Help

Move Thread LAN_403
Wilson
Tue Feb 14 2006, 10:43AM Print
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
Hi
I"ve recently built an induction heater, utilising the LCR arrangement as outlined on richie burnett's site.

However, for some reason, i cannot get a ferrous object to the curie temperature. At first i thought it was due to my low coupling, so i wound a tighter coil, but with no luck.

Below the waveform from a current transformer in series with the inverter's output, at 1A/div and 45V in. Its close enough to sine wave, so i'm assuming that the system is in parallel resonance (at 131khz). The voltage across the tank also rings up to 160V, almost the limit for my IRFP250s.

Any idea why my workpiece isn't heating up? I've seen people with glowing nuts at 300W after a minute or so. I left mine on for 10mins and was still <400 degrees.

Thanks,

Wilson
1139913761 78 FT0 Ct
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Feb 14 2006, 10:17PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Keep trying you'll get it!

I had a hard time too when I wanted to copy an idea from a friend. He mods PSU's for brazing. I tried and tried, and finally got the coil to about where it needed to be to see heating results. It was just trial and error.
1139955456 135 FT876 Psumodded

1139955456 135 FT876 Cookeddrill

1139955456 135 FT876 Cookeddrill2
Wilson
Wed Feb 15 2006, 01:42AM
what i don't quite understand is why when i have no load in the work coil, the current draw is still ridiculously high.
To my understanding, an unloaded LCR based induction heater is purely reactive, the only resistance, which could draw/dissipate power besides the workpiece would be the ohmic resistance of the connecting wires, and the ESR of the caps. It shouldn't draw an odd 300W with no workpiece neutral
I'm waiting for a second CRO probe so i can look at both the inverter's output and CT at the same time.
Steve Conner
Wed Feb 15 2006, 10:52AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
2A peak at 45V is only about 90W of real power, so that is why your nuts won't glow. It also looks like you are out of tune, since the switching noise is visible near the peaks of the sine wave, whereas it should be near the zero crossings. Adjust the drive frequency and the size of the matching inductor to get more power. An ammeter that shows the DC current drawn from your power supply is useful here- you can tune the drive frequency for maximum current.

The voltage across the tank circuit has nothing to do with any voltage seen by your MOSFETs: they only see the DC supply voltage, which in your case is 45V.

About unloaded current draw: I found that with my induction heater the current draw increased with no workpiece. Because it's series resonant, an increase in load resistance across the work coil gets transformed to a decrease in the load resistance seen by the inverter. I think the LCLR behaves in a similar way. To stop a catastrophic meltdown if you remove the workpiece with the power on, you need a current limited power supply or some other form of protection.
Wilson
Wed Feb 15 2006, 12:34PM
Sorry, my bad. I meant to say 1V/amp. The peak is at 11V, so peak of 11A.

I'll try adjust the matching inductor. What would be a good value? enough reactance to not exceed the current limit of the supply?

I'm glad to hear that the voltage ringup is only confined to the tank. This means i can take my bridge all the way up to 160VDC. smile

I'll buy an extra probe in a few days, so i can see the mosfet's gate waveform vs that of the currrent transformer.

By out of tune, do you been by +/- 1khz, or by a whole harmonic (not too sure if this even makes sense). What is quite intriguing is that at some frequencies, i can get almost 1/2 div of that noise at the peaks.

I have also found that the LCLR arrangement behaves in the same way to your series resonant one- it draws a bit more current when there is no workpiece. However, i don't see how this is possible as when the system is in parallel resonance, the impedance should be at its highest. Only when there is a workpiece that there is a resistive component which can draw and dissipate power :S
However my weird results might be due to detuning.

Thanks alot for your help Steve.

I'll try to upload a pic of the dual scope shot in a few days if school isn't too harsh

EDIT:
I"m considering upgrading my tank capacitor, as it looks like the old one isn't up to the job. How does metalised polyester caps (like the ones below) fare against the recommended PP caps in this application?
(<link>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/ eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&item=7590457256&fromMakeTrack=true</ link>)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: