hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

conc H2SO4

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
HazzWold 1993
Mon Apr 12 2010, 02:02AM Print
HazzWold 1993 Registered Member #2563 Joined: Mon Dec 21 2009, 10:17AM
Hello i'm going to try to concentrate my H2SO4, Ive built a small fume hood for it, to put far away from my house while i do this, with a long wooden dowel to turn the hotplate off, Going to boil it down..
Would it be fine to boil it in a standard Pyrex beaker? and then store the conc H2SO4 in a glass Reagent Bottle with a glass stopper? or should i use a rubber stopper. And also, what sort of pipette would the acid effect if any. Because as i understand it wouldn't affect those small plastic ones, but Ive had them quite easily split at the sides. so would a glass one with a rubber end be better suited? sorry if anything i'm asking is unclear.
radiotech
Mon Apr 12 2010, 02:58AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
How about unplugging the hotplate at the end of an extension cord.
What is the SG of your acid and what do you want the final acid to be. Do you have a car battery hydrometer to test it? Will anything you plan to do cause release of H2? The thermostat on the hotplate could cause an ignition spark. Acid, glass, parts of hotplate will be flying everywhere.

Sorry to be such a bother but I have seen just how far parts of batteries have been launched in electrical faults.
HazzWold 1993
Mon Apr 12 2010, 04:04AM
That will work too, ill just unplug it.
The SG is 1.28 - 1.24 i think so its fairly dilute. id like it to be as close to pure as possible like 98% at least.
Nothing i plan to do will release any hydrogen.
Thanks for the tips as well.
also no i do not have a hydrometer.
IntraWinding
Mon Apr 12 2010, 10:45AM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Good luck! Hot concentrated Sulphuric Acid is very nasty stuff so don't take any risks as you won't have time to rinse it off, and when you do, it'll burn you a second time. Plan for when the beaker cracks and the contents spill out. Don't have water anywhere near it while it's hot. A particular problem with boiling near concentrated H2SO4 is that the water, or dilute H2SO4 that boils off tends to condense and drip back down into the boiling H2SO4 where it causes a sudden huge release of heat which splashed acid everywhere which could crack glass as well as spray you and your equipment. The more you enclose it to keep the spray in, the more drips of condensation you get...
The white fumes are noxious and very corrosive. Don't let the fumes blow near anything made of steel that you value.
I use polythene pipettes, but agree they split too often. Just take this into account when using them. Glass and rubber would be better if you keep the acid off the rubber as it will probably attack it depending on what type - test it. The best container for conc. H2SO4 is a HDPE bottle as it won't break when dropped. Otherwise use glass with a suitable plastic top or a ground glass stopper.
To be honest I don't think boiling is a very practical way to concentrate H2SO4. Better to expend your effort trying to find a way to buy it.

Alan
HazzWold 1993
Mon Apr 12 2010, 11:22AM
There is no way to buy it around here, tried and true. What other way could i concentrate it while keeping it cheap and practical?
thanks for the info on the pipettes also.
roddenberry
Sun Apr 18 2010, 06:42PM
roddenberry Registered Member #2272 Joined: Wed Aug 05 2009, 01:34AM
It is indeed a risky task. My suggestion is to keep the temperature just below boiling point, so that it will evaporate but not boil and risk to spill over. Do this outside definitely, and once the volume of your acid has decreased, weigh it to determine its concentration (based on the original weight of the diluted acid. Concentrate it down to the level where you'll feel comfortable to go... I wouldn't try over 70% this way.

Let it cool down for a while before handling the vessel and very carefully pour (with a glass funnel if possible) into your final container. As suggested above, HDPE would be perfect, but keep em away from the sun because UV+HDPE=bad ...
-Robert
Hon1nbo
Sun Apr 18 2010, 08:21PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
where are you located? - there might be a place not far from you that might have access, you never know.

as for doing it yourself, with concentrating acid take every precaution. Whenever I do something like this that might involve shattering glass and dangerous chemical splashes, I use a blast shield. I don't think it would be a bad idea to have a polycarbonate shield between you and the glassware if possible (I don't think polycarbonate would react seriously with h2so4, you might check first but if it does I doubt it would be worse than having the spray go everywhere). You can buy glassware designed for distilling, a basic retort might do the trick if you take care with accidental fume release and control the temperature such that the acid condenses as it leaves the neck of the glass, or use a condenser with it.

rubber gloves, an apron, goggles and a face shield are a must, as well as standard safety procedure.

and if you doubt yourself doing this, don't do it!

-Jimmy
Proud Mary
Wed Apr 21 2010, 09:40PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper, simpler, and very much safer just to buy the concentrated acid for whatever purpose you need it?
HVgeek
Thu Jul 15 2010, 09:01PM
HVgeek Registered Member #2998 Joined: Tue Jul 13 2010, 08:34PM
If you're in a fume hood or outside you pretty much have your problems solved. It's not rocket science boiling H2SO4 to concentration, as long as you observe the safetyprocedures (glasses, gloves, apron etc). Believe me, hot concentrated sulphuric is an evil evil thing.

Anyhow, just boil away and vent the fumes out untill you can see a transition between two different types of smoke. The latter will be the sulphuric boiling, and there will be a distinct pause in between with almost no fumes at all. This is when you've boiled off the water and only has H2SO4 left. I typically wait for the "second stage" to kick in before aborting. Put a lid on the container to keep the air moisture from getting to it, wait for it to cool and voilah.
HazzWold 1993
Thu Jul 15 2010, 11:05PM
HVgeek wrote ...

If you're in a fume hood or outside you pretty much have your problems solved. It's not rocket science boiling H2SO4 to concentration, as long as you observe the safetyprocedures (glasses, gloves, apron etc). Believe me, hot concentrated sulphuric is an evil evil thing.

Anyhow, just boil away and vent the fumes out untill you can see a transition between two different types of smoke. The latter will be the sulphuric boiling, and there will be a distinct pause in between with almost no fumes at all. This is when you've boiled off the water and only has H2SO4 left. I typically wait for the "second stage" to kick in before aborting. Put a lid on the container to keep the air moisture from getting to it, wait for it to cool and voilah.

I don't have a fume hood.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: