Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Deoxidizing sterling silver

Move Thread LAN_403
Billybobjoe
Sun Apr 04 2010, 04:45AM Print
Billybobjoe Registered Member #396 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:55AM
I've gotten into lost-wax casting using plaster molds and sterling silver. Its generally used to make jewelry because of its ability to reproduce incredible detail in wax models.

I've been getting excellent results however recently I've noticed symptoms similar to those described in this article Link2 as gas porosity. Its barely noticeable until the final piece is to be polished, in which case its impossible to obtain a mirror finish.

From what I understand, this can be caused by dissolved oxygen in the molten metal. I am melting the sterling silver in a graphite crucible using a very small gas forge with a reducing atmosphere (the exhaust gas coming out of the top vent hole can be ignited). But during the short pouring process in which the metal is removed from the forge and poured into the plaster mold (I'm working on eliminating this atmospheric exposure) apparently the metal is absorbing atmospheric oxygen (also when I peek in the forge by removing the lid to check the melting progress). This short exposure probably isn't a problem, but it is exacerbated when the unused metal (the stuff for sprues) is remelted and used again.

I've heard from a few sources to use at least 50% "new" clean metal in each melt, but silver isn't exactly free, and I'll keep having to buy large quantities of new silver ($$$), a problem which is compounded by the fact that during each cast, about 20% of the metal is actually used, the rest makes up the sprues (channels for molten metal) and is cleaned to be remelted.

My question is how can I "deoxidize" sterling silver which has been remelted multiple times and has absorbed some oxygen? For each melt I use a borax and boric acid flux but from what I understand this only... (actually I'm not quite sure what flux does in this case... there's really no slag to collect...)
IntraWinding
Sun Apr 04 2010, 05:21AM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
This might help. Link2

Also, perhaps you could develop a technique for 'degassing' your old silver back to 'as new' condition. I imagine this would involve heating under vacuum and/or with a suitable reducing agent.

Perhaps a good thick layer of molten flux floating on top of the melt would prevent oxygen reaching the metal?

Alan
Billybobjoe
Sun Apr 04 2010, 11:28PM
I did see that article and I will definitely try to keep the metal covered with a flame when pouring (which seems to be the only thing I'm doing incorrectly, and would be easy to fix if I had four arms...maybe I need to find some friends to help haha...).

Degassing is exactly what I'm looking for. A vacuum came to mind but I'd like to get some feedback on the effectiveness of that approach because while it should be possible for me to do, 1600F molten metal won't exactly be as straightforward as vacuuming epoxy.

I did just find this forum thread Link2
It outlines a few techniques in the posts:

• "Other deoxidizers include silicon and zinc"
• "I would recommend forcing Nitrogen or Argon through the molten silver to draw out any latent oxygen"

Also on this page Link2
• "a small addition of lithium is helpful in removing dissolved oxygen"

Any thoughts?
john bunsenburner
Mon Apr 05 2010, 10:23AM
john bunsenburner Registered Member #1937 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:28PM
From the research I conducted cadmium was used to removed the bubbles however is now banned (for obvious reasons), though you might still have a look into that. You might want to have a look around here. As for the silver lost in sprues, I recommend you give a centrifugal casting machine a shot if you want to be serious about casting. Good luck with your endeavors.
Proud Mary
Thu Apr 08 2010, 11:22AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Floating a carbon disk on the molten metal will attenuate the formation of Copper (I) and copper (II) oxides, and hence gas porosity (but not shrinkage porosity) and the Cu2O inclusions with which it is associated.
Billybobjoe
Thu Apr 08 2010, 11:57PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Floating a carbon disk on the molten metal will attenuate the formation of Copper (I) and copper (II) oxides, and hence gas porosity (but not shrinkage porosity) and the Cu2O inclusions with which it is associated.

The carbon disk was another method I heard and will give a try but doesn't do much to eliminate O2 in the metal I already have. And shrinkage porosity isn't the problem I'm having as my spruing is set up properly.

I should have mentioned that I'm doing vacuum assisted casting (didn't want to throw the word vacuum around to avoid confusion but essentially in this process a vacuum "pulls" the metal into the plaster mold through the porous plaster). This is different than vacuum casting where everything (melting/casting) is done in an actual vacuum chamber.

Putting a crucible of molten silver (quickly!) into a vacuum chamber is feasible and I will give that a try (when I'm home from school this summer).

I've also heard of bubbling argon through the metal which sounds feasible, but then I've also heard that argon can be absorbed (seems like silver has a much greater affinity to O2 than Ar though...)
IntraWinding
Fri Apr 09 2010, 12:27AM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
If the oxygen is released on solidification then use this effect to remove it. Melt the silver in a reducing atmosphere (don't make things worse!) and allow the melt to slowly crystallise from the base of the crucible up towards the top. Hopefully the oxygen will concentrate towards the top and be released. It might also separate some of the alloy components, but they'll get mixed back in on the next melt. I'm not sure how you'd arrange for the crystallising front to move slowly upwards though.

Alan

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: