hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Seperating graphite and KCIO3

Move Thread LAN_403
GhostNull
Tue Apr 06 2010, 10:33AM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
frog: the method you prepose looks like what is called froth floatation, it is used for industrial seperation of minerals in the mining industry Search it. Don't know if it works with these chemicals though =\
frog
Wed Apr 07 2010, 08:07AM
frog Registered Member #2400 Joined: Mon Sept 28 2009, 10:04AM
Yep, that was the original method i was looking at, I was just wondering if anyone else here had tried this method or something similar before.
IntraWinding
Wed Apr 07 2010, 03:06PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
If basic filter paper won't remove it try getting hold of some with a specified pore sizes. If that doesn't work, get smaller pore sized paper and work your way down.
If the particles are still getting through you have a colloid. For that you need to flocculate the particles, which is to cause them to stick together into large clumps that can be easily removed.
Link2

I know home beer brewers sometime have problems with colloids and need to use flocculants to clarify their beverages.

Alan
frog
Thu Apr 08 2010, 09:10AM
frog Registered Member #2400 Joined: Mon Sept 28 2009, 10:04AM
I guess i will stick to filters as using flocculants will probably contaminate the solution anyway. Thanks anyway.
Frosty90
Sat Apr 10 2010, 12:20PM
Frosty90 Registered Member #1617 Joined: Fri Aug 01 2008, 07:31AM
I have done quite a bit of experimentation with this: I used graphite at first, but I have found that even expensive lab filter paper wont get all the graphite out. Plus the low solubility of the chlorate means you generally need to filter the solution hot (unless you want to spend houurs and hours filtering many litres of solution...), and as it cools in the filter, the precipitate clogs everything...

The best way is to avoid graphite: Ive had alot of success with commercially made 'mixed metal oxide' anode. This can be abit on the expensive side of things though (compared to graphite). You can greatly reduce the graphite shredding by keeping the current density low (less than 30ma per square cm), keeping the solution cool (less than 40 degrees C) and keeping the ph low (less than 7). pH is the main killer for graphite.

Jesse
baran420
Fri Jun 11 2010, 11:13AM
baran420 Registered Member #2159 Joined: Thu Jun 04 2009, 10:12AM
If you use graphite anodes you should stick to NaCl in the cell. This will produce the highly soluble sodium chlorate which is easily filtered from the carbon. Simply add KCl to ppt KClO3 from the clean filtered solution. Use freely available MMO anodes if you want to start from a KCl feed stock. Plenty of thos on the web.
ramses
Tue Jul 06 2010, 12:31AM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
Can you link to a few plate type anodes. Everything I have found, apart from eBay seems to be a custom-order type thing. I am reluctant to use eBay because of the whole "big brother" issue, as well as the fact that it is $50 for a 2x6" mesh electrode. I have no prices to compare that to, and no information about the thickness of the coating.

Thanks!
baran420
Mon Jul 19 2010, 08:57AM
baran420 Registered Member #2159 Joined: Thu Jun 04 2009, 10:12AM
Hi Ramses, Sorry I have not been on the internet for a while. Look at the likes of the APC forum for work by Swede. He seems to be an authority on the subject. The electric pool chlorinators use MMO anodes and can be obtained second hand from time to time. In your neck of the woods Northstar Pyro sells suitable anodes.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: