Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple Audio modulated SSTC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
williamn
Fri Apr 28 2006, 05:02AM Print
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
Here is a neat little SSTC I built last night. I had a few left over mosfets from my brick drivers. Its just a 555 astable set to 50% dutycycle and a freq range of 700-800Khz, audio input on pin 5 (Control V). The secondary coil measures 2.5" diameter, 8" long wound with 31AWG magnet wire. A measured Fres of 775Khz. Gate drive is handled by the UCC37322/21 chips. It was tricky getting these drivers to handle the high freq, they do get warm. I added a heatsink to them along with a bunch of thermal goop, they dont get too hot now after long runs. Vin to the half-bridge is fullwave rectified and filtered 40VDC. I wanted to make the whole setup extrabeefy so I can run it or long periods. The longest run so far is 10 minutes and everything seems fine. This coil is still in its lash up phase so its a work in progress. I have lashed up a few of these 555 audimod coils in the past and I want to make this a permanent coil.

video of coil running. 5.5MB sorry!

pic
1146201175 55 FT1630 555sstc1
Dr. Drone
Fri Apr 28 2006, 06:25AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
williamn
Fri Apr 28 2006, 02:59PM
Thanks CR! For the last version of this circuit I put together I used a 450Khz secondary and the audio did not sound as good as with this one. Sound quality is pretty decent with this little coil. Now I think I am going to build a ClassE 3-4mhz coil and audio modulate it for even better quality sound. smile
Dr. Drone
Fri Apr 28 2006, 04:01PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Part Scavenger
Fri Apr 28 2006, 05:14PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Ray Charles would be proud. wink

That's cool Will!
Avalanche
Fri Apr 28 2006, 09:02PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Very good!

The only problem I always have with AF modulated coils is that the MOSFETs heat very badly due to the hard switching, and eventually burn out because of this. Was that 10 minute run with the audio on? How do the FETs run when the audio is on? Today I've started building a very similar coil to yours, a halfbridge but PLL driver, probably about the same size too. I'll try the audio modulation and see what happens. I find that the ICL7667 gate driver chips work much better with higher frequency coils, as they are high speed drivers, but it looks like I'll have to use UCCs as well because i'm out of the others.
williamn
Fri Apr 28 2006, 11:28PM
UCCs are pretty fast. I used the TC4422/21 chips at first and they just got smokin hot. I too have built a PLL SSTC and audio modulated it, but it was a lower freq coil and sound quality suffered. HF PLL might be the way to go. The 10 minute run was with audio on, and the fets stay fairly cool, I am not pumping a ton of power here, its hooked up to my 20A variac and current consumption is about 2A, so 80watts total. Audiomoding is quite cool. Please post youre results!
Will
coaster_chris
Mon May 15 2006, 12:26PM
coaster_chris Registered Member #359 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 09:27AM
Sweet dude!! shades
It's just such an amazing effect... Having sound comming of the streamers! amazed

I'm planning on buildiung an audio modulated SSTC too, hopefully done by christmas... 2008! tongue
I still have a lot of reading to do about the solid state coils, but... I'll get there! wink

Keep up the good work willimn

Chris
HV Enthusiast
Mon May 15 2006, 01:18PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Chris,

I have a lot of information on the audio modulated coils I built including the stereo Plasmasonic systems on my website here:

http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/design_resource.htm

There are schematics, parts lists, artwork files, and a presentation or two on the audio modulated stuff. You should find it helpful.

Dan
coaster_chris
Mon May 15 2006, 01:51PM
coaster_chris Registered Member #359 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 09:27AM
@Daniel

But ofcourse I've checked out your website allready! wink
It has a lot of helpfull information indeed. Coming acros a movie of the plasmasonic and some other audio modulated coils on a website ( Link to movie ) actualy gave me the idea for a new project, after finishing my SGTC.
(I'll post soms specs and pics of my SGTC if I have some time. The only pics I have at the moment are realy poor, telephonecam, quality.)

BTW. The soundquality of your plasmasonic is actualy pretty darn clear! shades

Tnx, anyhow... cheesey

Chris
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: