hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Home made super capacitors.

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
aonomus
Sun Apr 11 2010, 08:19PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
I've actually found that large amounts of graphite lubricant spray are somewhat conductive - not terribly so, but it might just do the job.
Conundrum
Tue Apr 13 2010, 06:59AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
thanks for the tips Proud Mary.

I did also discover that conductive thread finely shredded also works.

Also obtained some very fine colloidal carbon originally for treating cooker hoods (sets with heat), will have a dig and see what i can find in the Junk Drawer of Doom :)

-A
IntraWinding
Tue Apr 13 2010, 05:41PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Conductive Coatings:

I have about 100ml of Aquadag I got from Timstar years ago, marked 'graphite colloidal about 18% solids', but they don't appear to do chemicals any more. Smells faintly of ammonia and needs a good shake before use.

This kit includes conductive graphite paint Link2

Or there's this source of Aquadag E Link2

I also recently bought some of this conductive Nickel spray paint off eBay (0.7Ω/sq) Link2

What about this stuff? Elvamide (10^10 to 10^12 ohms per unit square. I can't judge surface conductivity, but that sounds rather high compared to the nickel spray). It's apparently used as the conductive layer on electrostatic speakers Link2

Alan
ShawnLG
Tue Apr 13 2010, 07:43PM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
carbon is everywhere and is cheap. look for "activated carbon" on ebay.
Link2

Where to get the proper electrolite is difficult.
Proud Mary
Tue Apr 13 2010, 10:26PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
IntraWinding wrote ...

Conductive Coatings...

What about this stuff? Elvamide (10^10 to 10^12 ohms per unit square. I can't judge surface conductivity, but that sounds rather high compared to the nickel spray). It's apparently used as the conductive layer on electrostatic speakers Link2

DuPont have a detailed data and application blurb for Elvamide, and it doesn't seem to mention it being a conductive polymer anywhere:

Link2

But they do make a conductive nylon resin called Zytel:

Link2

The RS conductive nickel spray paint wouldn't do for my ion chamber application, because of the high density of Ni compared to C, not to mention the Ni absorption edge getting in the way.
IntraWinding
Tue Apr 13 2010, 11:24PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Glad you checked Elvamide. It looks to me like it's supposed to have mystical triboelectric properties rather than actually being conductive.
Proud Mary
Wed Apr 14 2010, 09:27AM
What about carbon nanotubes as used in paper batteries?
Conundrum
Fri Apr 16 2010, 05:40PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
hey there Proud Mary.
I have a cunning idea. If you email me your address I can send you a sample of all the conductive glues I have available.

I have two different types of RTV adhesive, graphite powder, conductive thread, ultra fine steel wire, conductive fabric (free sample), EMC packing for RAM, elastomer rubber strips, Shapelock, glow powder etc.

'Tis only fair, as I did get some goodies from you.. :)

EDIT:- I also came up with the deviously cunning idea of salvaging the coating from a defunct up to air CRT. to do this you require some sort of solvent and a suitable container resistant to it.

EDIT 2:- another way is to make colloidal silver and dry it. See Link2 for how.
Or you could buy it but why bother when its trivial to make?

Oh, and I also discovered that if you have any "dead" bottles of silver paint the remaining (useful) coating can be salvaged easily using nothing more complicated than nail polish remover and a bit of agitation.
Dry this off carefully on a surface and then scrape off paint into a suitable container for mixing with the graphite and RTV tyre repair compound.

Note, they just changed the packet so you may need to be careful. It "looks" identical but i need to test it first)

Another interesting idea is to purchase a spare resistive touchscreen (busted e-readers, DS's, phones and POS machines come to mind) and "harvest" the perfectly good front plastic sheet and rear glass if it isn't too badly smashed..
Bit of gentle butchery with a glass cutter and gloves (watch those razor sharp edges, best to use sandpaper here) and you have a limitless supply of free conductive glass.
You could use an LCD but the liquid is fairly toxic and the front is not a continuous layer.

To coat with whatever you like, harvest a working fan (for convenience I used a 48V one) undervolted a bit to reduce the speed. This approach works well for most spin coating applications and was originally discovered by the guys at Cambridge working on OLEDs TTBOMK.

Recently rediscovered as a way to make your own OLED panels...

Guess who is planning to build a transparent ultracap... :) :)

-A

"Bother" said Pooh, as he dropped Superglue on his trousers...

hboy007
Fri Apr 16 2010, 06:45PM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

What about carbon nanotubes as used in paper batteries?

I gathered that the simplest method for creating carbon nanotubes is burning graphite electrodes in Helium atmosphere. It doesn't get any easier than that, I suppose.
Well, maybe someone wants to investigate vine charcoal. Maybe there are some types of plants that produce charcoal with a high amount of open pores smile

google for "charcoal microscope", the search yields some nice REM shots of the structures
Proud Mary
Fri Apr 16 2010, 07:44PM
Conundrum wrote ...

hey there Proud Mary.
I have a cunning idea. If you email me your address I can send you a sample of all the conductive glues I have available.

I have two different types of RTV adhesive, graphite powder, conductive thread, ultra fine steel wire, conductive fabric (free sample), EMC packing for RAM, elastomer rubber strips, Shapelock, glow powder etc.

'Tis only fair, as I did get some goodies from you.. :)

EDIT:- I also came up with the deviously cunning idea of salvaging the coating from a defunct up to air CRT. to do this you require some sort of solvent and a suitable container resistant to it.

EDIT 2:- another way is to make colloidal silver and dry it. See Link2 for how.
Or you could buy it but why bother when its trivial to make?

Oh, and I also discovered that if you have any "dead" bottles of silver paint the remaining (useful) coating can be salvaged easily using nothing more complicated than nail polish remover and a bit of agitation.
Dry this off carefully on a surface and then scrape off paint into a suitable container for mixing with the graphite and RTV tyre repair compound.

Note, they just changed the packet so you may need to be careful. It "looks" identical but i need to test it first)

Another interesting idea is to purchase a spare resistive touchscreen (busted e-readers, DS's, phones and POS machines come to mind) and "harvest" the perfectly good front plastic sheet and rear glass if it isn't too badly smashed..
Bit of gentle butchery with a glass cutter and gloves (watch those razor sharp edges, best to use sandpaper here) and you have a limitless supply of free conductive glass.
You could use an LCD but the liquid is fairly toxic and the front is not a continuous layer.

Guess who is planning to build a transparent ultracap... :) :)

This is very thoughtful of you, but may be too much of a digression for a super capacitor thread. I have chosen carbon for my conductive cathode coat because of its high transmittance of X /gamma-rays, which cannot be said of the metal-based conductive coatings - Ag, Ni, Al, and so on - which will also introduce photoelectric artefacts in the form of characteristic rays of each element in the conductive coating. With the exception of the gold plated anode wire, there is to be nowt but C and H in the whole caboodle.

And to Mr Bond, you can also make nanotubes with a carbon arc in argon, something which I'm hoping to do some time this year.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: