Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[fullbridge] mosfets dying, why???

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Tue Apr 25 2006, 02:12PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
You are talking about the gate driver, but whats wrong with it? The scope screenshots looks good, isn't it?
I'm using darlingtons becouse they were laying around in my bench. As an oscilator i'm using a function generator.

What about ringing on a not loaded bridge? Is it normal? And maybe I should try a half-bridge first?

In the last pic transistents seem large for only 2nF, you should not be able to see them actually. (compare the first and the last picture)

Try hooking the gate driver to the bridge without applying power to it and scope the gates.

Ringing is quite normal as long as it is not swinging over gate voltage rating or down to linear region of mosfet (it becomes a large resistor and blows up)

It seems to be at 20V but zeners and resistor should reduce it.

Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Apr 25 2006, 07:14PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
The only reason I brought up equalizing resistors is because every commercial circuit I have looked at, with multiple devices in parallel, always had this feature.
ped
Thu Apr 27 2006, 07:27PM
ped Registered Member #305 Joined: Sat Mar 11 2006, 04:27PM
not to mention these resistors cost next to nothing, and will help eleminate one possible cause of your mosfets dying.
c4r0
Sat Apr 29 2006, 12:28PM
c4r0 Registered Member #151 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 02:53PM
How big these resistors should be? (How many Ohms)

And i just noticed one thing. On many SSTC schematics there are a MUR diodes in parallel with transistors. I thought that it is becouse there is no diode in the MOSFET structure. There is a diode inside of my IRFP451 MOSFETs so i didn't connected additional ones. But recently i noticed that here Link2 these diodes are added. I also noticed that e. g. IRFP260 includes a diode in structure, although it's not marked on Steve Ward's SSTC schematics. So maybe lack of these diodes in my bridge is the problem?
HV Enthusiast
Sat Apr 29 2006, 01:04PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
These resistors are usually on the order of milliohms. What happens is that when they heat up, their resistance increases which reduces the current through them and this action somewhat equalizes the current through the parallel MOSFETs.

The size resistor will depend on heat dissipation, current, etc...
Marko
Sat Apr 29 2006, 01:50PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
These resistors are usually on the order of milliohms. What happens is that when they heat up, their resistance increases which reduces the current through them and this action somewhat equalizes the current through the parallel MOSFETs.

Just note that carbon resistors have very weak, negative temperature coefficient and they won't work as PTC current equalisers. Wirewound or metalfilm resistors can be used but it is questionable will normal resistors help there at all.

I don't know if this is really important in low-current system with mosfets that already have high-ish ON resistance.

There are some low-resistance PTC's in various switching supplies (ATX, saver bulbs, cell phone chargers, etc..)
They can have couple of ohms and may need to be paralleled.

You can also improvise them using pieces of heater wire (best from hair - dryer), thinnest possible so it heats up faster and changes resistance more quickly.

Except from PTC behaviour resistors close to paralleled devices just themslves make stray inductance/resistance less relevant, as resistors themselves tend to equalize the current since resistances of both switching devices get more similar.

This is specially important for high-current systems and low ON-resistance devices.

c4r0, did you try to scope mosfet gates, while thing was running (with un-powered bridge)?

Does the coil output small streamers, just higher voltage, anything on the secondary (at least light a neon bulb/neon probe touching it) when running with few volts bridge input?

Steve Ward
Sat Apr 29 2006, 04:40PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Extra parallel diodes were often used because it was thought that the internal diodes were too slow, so they were bypassed with better diodes. I have often just used the mosfets internal diode and it worked just fine. It might be worth trying the UF diodes, but i dont have a strong feeling that it would be the problem.

I do notice that you dont have any local decoupling on the bridge. Also, since you made the bridge so large, some of the inductances are a bit higher than they would be optimally. Those 2 things could lead to excessive voltage spikes during the switching transitions.

Also, about my # of turns vs. heating quirk, im really not sure what the cause was. The reduction in heating was not a whole lot, but it did seem that the fets ran a bit cooler. Perhaps a better impedance match was found, giving less reactive power flowing in the primary and mosfets.
c4r0
Wed May 31 2006, 06:05PM
c4r0 Registered Member #151 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 02:53PM
Ok, now the problem is back mistrust
I made a new beautiful halfbridge.
1149097664 151 FT8382 Dsc08729

And a secondary
1149097664 151 FT8382 Dsc08221

Resonant frequency is about 200kHz. It works quite well:
1149097664 151 FT8382 Dsc08255

1149097664 151 FT8382 Dsc08264

But the mosfets explodes when I reach 200V (It must run directly from mains voltage 230V~). I tried irf820, irf840 and irfp450, all for 500V. I can run the bridge with 100W bulb on load from even 250V~ and it works well, the mosfets are only warm WITHOUT heatsinks after 10min of work with the bulb. It can work for a long time too when I connect the tesla resonator and set about 150V on variac (i'm using 555 interupter with about 10% duty cycle), and the mosfets doesnt get warm (now with a little heatsink). But when i go up to 200V the mosfets blows immediately. I'm using the same gate driver as in the first post, but the gate driver can't be bad if the bridge works so well with bulb, right? Aaagh, what should i do now? cry

HV Enthusiast
Wed May 31 2006, 06:29PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Try adding some TVS across your MOSFETs. Also, do your MOSFETs have internal diodes in them?
vasil
Wed May 31 2006, 07:25PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
More primary turns?
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: