Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Big DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
williamn
Mon Apr 24 2006, 12:11AM Print
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
Carrying over from the old forum I have begun to finish putting together my big DRSSTC. I have started constructing the stand, secondary, and primary form. I am going to use a conical primary. Secondary is a 8" diameter sonotube, 27AWG magent wire with a winding length of 42". IGBTS will be a fullbridge of the FMG1G400US60L. Since I only have 6 of these really nice bircks, I will first use a fullbridge of the cheapo MG200Q2YS40 halfbridge modules. I am shooting for a Fres around 50Khz. Power is going to be supplied via a 20,000uf capbank in a Vdoubler config. Gate drive will be accomplished via individual gate drive circuits designed to drive the gate with +33V and shut off and hold at -15V. Power will be via a large 110VAC 60hz lamanent transformer wound with 4 isolated 45VAC 600ma windings and one 18VAC 1A winding. I plan on having the coil tuned and running for the 4th of July. It will also accompany me to the Cheesehead thon in September. Time to get back to work!

Halffinished

williamn
Thu Jun 08 2006, 06:40PM
Free time has been sparse letley but work continues on this project. I have completed building the Fullbridge. The scondary is finished and varnished. I have also finished etching and drilling the gate driver boards along with the interuptor PCB. This weekend I plan on tackling this project head on. I am going to pick up some .5" Poly sheet from a local distributor tomorrow and primary construction can then begin. July 4th deadline is still the goal. I will post pics of my progress this weekend.
Steve Ward
Fri Jun 09 2006, 01:00AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Hey, maybe at cheesehead we can run both of our coils from the same controller and make them arc together cheesey .

Dont go for super high coupling like i did. My secondary is sitting about 4" up on blocks now anyway because i had issues with racing sparks and flashover at full power (cranking out those 10-12 footers). Maybe just go for a 30-45* cone if you do make it conical. Though, i guess if you dont mind raising the coil up, there is no reason not to do a greater slope... it does allow you to fit more turns in a given diameter.

Im looking forward to seeing some progress on your coil. Oh, and in case you havent noticed, there have been lots of CM300s on ebay lately... might be worthwhile to grab some while they last! Id buy more if i had the money for them right now...
Part Scavenger
Sat Jun 10 2006, 03:32AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Hey, maybe at cheesehead we can run both of our coils from the same controller and make them arc together .

Man. You guys, don't rub it in so bad! cry I want to come!! However, I can't. Maybe when I get out of school.

If you do that, take pics! How about a streaming webcam in the corner? Anything.

Really looking forward to seeing you coil in action Will.
williamn
Sat Jun 10 2006, 08:10PM
Funny you should mention primary design, I have been thinking about this. I think I am going to use a vertical helix with 5/8" copper tubing. It will take some adjustments to get coupling low enough, I will just add spacers until its just right. Two large bipolar DRSSTCs would make a cool show. smile I will make sure I bring lots of extra bricks. wink I am working on the stand right now and have finished the First(bottom) torroid. I am hoping to have first light by next weekend, then I can just tune and tweak it for a nice show on July 4th.
williamn
Fri Jan 05 2007, 06:12AM
Time to revive this thread! School and work kept me from doing much of anything for most of the fall but now I am on vacation (from work and school) so its time to get moving on this coil. I started a build diary and posted it on my website. There you can get all the new information. I will try and update it every day or so, depends on if I get anything done. I will post a summary here as well when all is finished. I am thinking I could get it running by this weekend.
DRSSTC BUILD DIARY

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: