hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ammonium persulphate etching vessels

Move Thread LAN_403
ragnar
Tue Jan 19 2010, 01:22PM Print
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Hi all,

For my PCB work until recently, I've had the most reliable setup of boiling ammonium persulphate in a Corning Vision glass pan on a gas stove. Hot etchant, clean, crisp traces on the copper.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring my pan with me to Europe. The manufacture of these flame-compatible saucepans ceased decades ago, and they're hard to find on eBay or expensive to ship from the USA.

Does anyone have experience with PTFE-coated pans or pure aluminium? Can the oxide layer resist the etchant? What about 'ordinary' Pyrex baking dishes; will they promptly explode on exposure to flame?

Thanks
IntraWinding
Tue Jan 19 2010, 04:59PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
I think for you it's just a case of knowing the magic Brit word 'Saucepan'.

I searched eBay for:

(glass,corning,Pyrex) saucepan* -(lid*,advert*)

and got 8 hits, some at very reasonable prices I think Link2

I've used these for chemistry myself. One with a lid is useful.
Don't boil up caustic alkali if you want the pan to remain transparent!
Bored Chemist
Tue Jan 19 2010, 06:48PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Most etchants will chew up aluminium in a very surprising way. I wouldn't want to rely on a bit of PTFE to stop them.
LutzH
Tue Jan 19 2010, 07:12PM
LutzH Registered Member #1721 Joined: Sat Sept 27 2008, 08:44PM
Hello:

Although the following is based on knowlege from the "Grapevine" it does seem to be supported in real life:

Corning a while back developed some types of "super pyrex" very high silica glasses. The purpose was to develope types of glass which could withstand sudden extreme temperature changes like quartz, but which could still be fabricated, and worked, via conventional glass fabrication means. Vicor is an example of such a glass for scientific application.

The Corning Visions cookware is a common example, although some folks claim it is nothing but Pyrex? This material does seem to be slightly more resistant to extreme temperature changes than pyrex in my personal opinion based on my cooking experience, but I am no expert here.

My advice would be to try to use Pyrex, if you cannot find the other glass. Pyrex with some type of heat spreader should be fine. This is done in the lab by using a wire mesh/asbestos screen between the bunsen burner, and the flask.

Today of course we do not want asbestos anymore, but we have replacement materials. I have used Pyrex baking pans directly on electric stove elements with no problems. I do however ramp up the heat in a gradual manner. So if you have gas, you might try a SS wire mesh screen, with the flame turned down a little, or some other heat spreading device, like a ceramic plate.

The key to not breaking any heat resistant glass, is doing things gently, and in a gradual manner. I would stay away from PTFE coated Al, there are always micro-pores in the coating. S.Steel would be a better option then, you could try a small amount of SS to see if it holds up.

I have not used Ammonium Persulfate, so I just do not know much about it. Does it work better than Ferric Chloride for PCB etching? I am curious also, because there are cheap consumer products here like concrete cleaner for example, which are Ammonium Persulfate based. I may give these a shot in the future then.
ragnar
Tue Jan 19 2010, 07:33PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Thanks Intrawinding for the suggestion of eBay UK and the clever search string, Bored Chemist for keeping me on the straight and narrow, and LutzH for the insight.

Ammonium persulphate was the first etchant ever available to me and I had good results. I've done only a few boards with ferric chloride and while I couldn't compare undercut or trace fidelity, the cleanup leaves a lot to be desired!

Hence "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - the glass really did perform well with the etchant. That 7" one will at least get me going! I've nabbed it for GBP6.50. Easy!

IntraWinding
Wed Jan 20 2010, 02:28AM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
What a bargain! The wonder of eBay smile

I thought it was a glass ceramic, but it's hard Googling the transparent amber stuff rather than the earlier white translucent stuff.

You can certainly stick a pan of cold water straight on a full flame gas ring without a second thought - no need for any special care there, but boiling over is a problem as the thick 'glass' holds a lot of heat and keeps things boiling well after you take it off the heat.

In fact anything thermal you can do with a metal pan seems ok, but obviously it's better to err on the side of caution. My last one survived all sorts of thermal abuse I'd never try on normal lab borosilicate, then it broke when I caught the pouring lip on something solid.
Steve Conner
Wed Jan 20 2010, 10:02AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Wishing you a happy new saucepan, BP! smile

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: