Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Easy Fuming HNO3 90%+, and Electro-Azide Fun

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Sat Jan 09 2010, 10:37AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Don't panic, gays and people of colour! Captain Rainbow to the rescue.

Anyway, as Bored Chemist pointed out, the recipe is full of mistakes, so said "nutcase" would probably just blow his fingers off and sue LutzH.
LutzH
Mon Jan 11 2010, 11:19PM
LutzH Registered Member #1721 Joined: Sat Sept 27 2008, 08:44PM
Hello:

I see now that it is better to just let this thread die, since outside of the US it seems that even small amounts of these chemicals are simply illegal. In this global climate of paranoia, and intolerance, it simply to sensitive of topic, which with 20/20 hindsight, is best perhaps just avoided. In the US you can get permits, and you can be legal in this area, because I know some folks personally who have used explosive bonding of metals for example, to help make parts which just could not be made in any other way. They even called the government, before each experiment in their formative years, an added precaution. One of them is now the CEO of a company in Sequim Washington, which specializes in this field. Aluminum to steel for the navy, Titanium to copper for particle physics, and medical devices, etc.

I have been out of this area for several decades, and 4 years as an USMC EOD technician used up the remaining interest that I had to experiment in this area, when it became "work", and the source of nightmares, and stress. More than once during this time, I have literally put my life on the line to deal with some "device" that some idiot made. So if anyone has a right to be offended by unlicensed use of these chemicals, it is all of the military EOD folks, who often get called in, when the local police does not feel "comfortable", which is more than 50% of the time.

Among the worst were the pranksters who thought that it would be funny to put a jack in the box, a timer and some batteries, in a box in a public building, or to duct tape an empty briefcase to the side of a building . I paid a steep emotional price for this time of my life. It was definitely not a source of glory, and attention, it results in counseling for many, and even worse in some cases. I am always amazed at how human nature results in folks rushing to judge something, or someone, in spite of really knowing nothing, or close to nothing about it. I suppose when some folks do this, they can self elevate, and feel that somehow we are better than them, or those kind of people.

I think that it is enough to simply restate the point, that this forum is not the place for these kind of postings. We do not have to pin them with a "scarlet letter", or brand them as terrorists, or supporters of it. Doing so offers only a glimpse into the intolerance of the person doing so. The idea that this information is somehow helping terrorists, in an age of bomb making manuals being all over the net, is simply a journey into the absurd. Like they are going to come here to this forum, to find the missing link they need to make their next abhorrent creation of death and destruction.

Intolerance and hate towards the person posting the question, is no different from intolerance and hate any other form. I must admit that I was quite surprised by the vitriolic tone of some of the responses. Come on guys, gals, gays, negroes, haoles, jews, catholics, protistants, PHD's etc. Live and let live, show that you have empathy, and do not get sucked into the propaganda of hate, just because it is in a currently socially acceptable to do so towards one group of individuals.

You will only succeed in driving the poster further underground, and further away from a constructive direction of redemption. As much as I hated the results of what some of these folks did, I always managed to keep site on the fact that most of them were highly intelligent, and only lacking in a sense of direction, and not evil people. Most are not sociopathic beings, with no empathy and feelings, most are the same as any other amature science related hobbiest.

The very freedom of western societies is the target of the terrorist, this is precisely what they want to destroy. My point here is: When the person made the original posting on fuming nitric acid, what they were doing became clear. So why not just calmly state that this is not the place for these type of postings? Instead of allowing it to denigrate into a judgmental expression of intolerance.

I think that it would be much more productive and beneficial to steer these folks into a legal direction. It is after all called the chemical forum. To the original poster I want to say: Please ignore the folks here who want to judge you, do not let this prevent you from taking what you are doing in a positive, and safe direction. If you are in the US and you go to the Feds, they will not arrest you, you will be greated by friendly proffesional folks. Yes they will want to know what you are doing, but once they know and they get to know you, it will all change. One guy I know now has a beer or two with the ATF guys, he even consults for them for free, for the sheer challange and fun, of helping them catch, and out think the terrorist. This is the same as the hacker who now writes anti-virus software. Be the guy who gets the check, and the satisfaction of helping out, and not the guy who ends up in court.

In my country there is a legal direction. it is called the BATF branch of the US government. Yes maybe it is a fault in the system that there is a legal route here in the US, or maybe the fault is that there is no legal route in some others, you deciede. I am just asking that we refrain from judgment long enough to consider the issue? Even just last week on the tele, they featured an artist who uses detonating chord to produce beautiful metal art legally. Is this 63 year old woman now a terrorist? or should she be labeled as some form of threat to our ideas on how the world should be? I would think not.

So now we can hopefully go back to high voltage related fun, and other forms of chemistry which are "acceptable" to these folks.

I will offer my apology for offending these folks, sorry I just had no idea that you felt so strongly about this subject, if I have hurt your sense of morality, or ethics, then I apologize, seriously. I have enough empathy for you also. I will refrain from any postings related to this area in the future also now knowing this. If I had known that you would be personally offended then I would never have replied to the thread. The only thing that I would ask from these folks is: If you are offended by something that I, or that anyone else posts in the future, then please just send a PM direct to the person, and allow them to make amends if it is in order, or to explain. I think that this is better than trying to hide your anger with sarcasm, and unfounded criticism of their postings.

I would also like to offer my apology too the "silent majority" who I am sure have had to endure this thread in part due to my slow realization, and inaccurate initial appprasal, of the situation. Sorry folks, I did not mean for this to go on so long, you cannot after all prevail in the face of intollerance . I value you folks a lot, as the individual people that you are, who are willing to share all what you have learned, with no financial, or ego based reason. More than once you have helped me along, and educated me in so many ways about HV, and other aspects of science. I will not forget this, instead I will try to learn from you, and pay it forward.

Aloha....Lutz
Anders Hoveland
Wed Sept 29 2010, 01:22AM
Anders Hoveland Registered Member #3254 Joined: Wed Sept 29 2010, 01:11AM
You may be interested in my site, which has an extensive collection of high performance energetic compound chemistry, as well as voluminous high quality information.
Link2

While aware that this is mainly a high voltage forum, there is in general much shared interest between high voltage and explosive pyrotechnics, since these a both hobbies that deal with impressively energetic aspects of extreme science.
Adam Munich
Wed Sept 29 2010, 03:36AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Ahh, well lasers >5mW are illegal as well. It's all about quantity and use. Nobody punishes you for them though unless you are an idiot and cause trouble. (use)

Another example, someone came here a while ago asking for help with a still. Now home distilling is technically illegal, but so long as you're not making drums of ethanol (quantity), or selling it (use), nobody will bother to go after you.

AFAIK, a license is required to own radium, and disassembling a smoke alarm is illegal. Nobody has hassled me any though, as I don't have curies of the stuff in my closet.

I feel the same applies here. Manufacturing explosives in small quantities is nothing to worry about if they are for peaceful purposes. The FBI won't come knocking on either yours or Chris's door because you discussed azides on a forum. You people need to really let up a little. There are ridiculously "illegal" discussions elsewhere on the internet, and nobody ends up getting raped by the feds unless they discuss murder, assassination, or class 1 drug manufacture. Nobody is going to arrest me because I made a couple m80's. Why? Because I didn't blow anyone's arm off.

Also, this is a fabulous guide on all thing that go boom. Link2

Also2, what to do on the fourth of July. Link2
Chris Russell
Wed Sept 29 2010, 07:12AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Okay, that's enough for one thread. Remember, folks, explosives are not a suitable topic of discussion here. Be safe, and be smart.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: