All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The ideas thread

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sun Jul 17 2011, 07:47PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Or use wireless power?

Ought to work, although the losses would be horrendous.

-A
hboy007
Sun Jul 17 2011, 09:44PM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
Conundrum wrote ...

I would try this but both my DLP's have been rendered unconscious by power supply fryage.

If anyone has a use for the modules, PM me. I tried to reverse engineer the pinout but its a total horse when the PSU won't even twitch.

this might work:

unsolder one of the main SMPS transformer pins, trim away a little of the inside of the restring for clearance (this way you can still restore the connections) and take over the primary side with a diy halfbridge. Find a known logic IC on a PCB and take its positive supply rail as a kind of voltage sensing value (feedback loop). That should to some extent restore the supply potential ratios and approximate the original voltage levels.

ps. Thinking about it... maybe hooking the loop to one of the filter capacitors that are monitored by the onboard controller, then cranking up the setpoint voltage until a known (e.g. 5V) rail is stable might be more reasonable wink
Conundrum
Sun Jul 17 2011, 09:49PM
Good idea, thanks!

The notes about people driving transformers etc from an audio amplifier got me thinking.

How hard would it be to exploit this hack using a 22 kHz differential signal on the tip and ring of the headphone socket combined with an in-headphone amplifier and filters to generate 7.1ch (bass, forward, rear, centre and dual vibrate) on a pair of headphones without any modification of the host device apart from a relatively minor firmware upgrade?
Most MP3 players already detect headphone presence via impedance so have it turn on and off a few times in a defined pattern to tell the host device that 7.1ch 'phones are plugged in.
This avoids confusion when using an existing headphone set.

Even better, add infrared proximity via vOICe etc so you can have bat-like "vision" in the infrared with both audible and haptic feedback by having the MP3 play the same file over and over to keep the headphone's SMPS running?

Just to be badass, you could even have the same headphones send back their stored EEG data via the existing 3.5mm jack so it could be used for medical purposes (i.e. ambulatory EEG monitoring) with negligible impact on the user.
Storing data on the headphones would be doable and would merely require a driver on the host PC to decode microphone data into USB comms, half duplex only like the old modems but still handy when you want to transfer something small like your stored EEG data.

Comments?
-A
PSCG
Mon Jul 18 2011, 08:53AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Built a cesium frequency standard and interface it to a computer for super accurate PC clock timing (i'm trying to do it since i was 14).

Find the parts to construct a nuclear battery to power my mobile phone for infinite time.

Anything crazy that will come into my mind....
Chip Fixes
Tue Jul 19 2011, 04:35AM
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
Hey look what I came across while trying to find out if regular ink was conductive Link2 if you buy conductive ink pens you can draw resistive lines on the windshield to defrost it
magnet18
Tue Jul 19 2011, 05:07AM
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
I've been thinking about a plasma orchestra, with plasma tweeters, something like this (Link2 for the midrange, and some large teslas for insane base, maybe accompanied by a capacitor discharge if it's the 1812 overture cheesey
Conundrum
Tue Jul 19 2011, 07:01AM
Cesium, schesium. Pah. I want a PC Geiger counter already.
Has to plug into any PC microphone port, and be passively powered.
Having alpha, beta and gamma detection would also be nice, especially if
it also has an internal rechargeable battery and datalogger.

It appears that I might be able to recycle the linear sensor segments from
old HP all-in-one printers to save using an expensive camera, the only
real pain will be digitising such a fast signal on a cheap microcontroller.

Perhaps I can feed back the output of the CCD back into the input and then only
sample it every n clock cycles where n is a multiple of the total pixel number.

If this works, reckon I can send it into EPE as a "Top Tenner" project? smile

-A
hboy007
Tue Jul 19 2011, 08:17AM
Conundrum wrote ...

I want a PC Geiger counter already.
Has to plug into any PC microphone port, and be passively powered.

SBM-20 can run off a 1.5µF cap initially charged to 390V for about 5000 seconds when monitoring "uranium glass marble" radiation levels. Why not trickle-charge a 22000µF/6.3V (I found Rint to be 0.045 Ohm for one type) cap and recharge the 1.5µF/630V cap every once in a while? You could even integrate a GM counter into your keyboard, power it off USB and hack the scanner matrix to send the count rate, equivalent dose rate and total dose as an ascii string when a certain key combination is pressed using a simple microcontroller.

/me now exposed to 0.15µSv/h (33.6µSv last 7 days)

ps.: just made a proof of concept video for my thermal IR camera idea: Link2
Conundrum
Tue Jul 19 2011, 06:12PM
Nice!

SBM20? as in the ones used in my counter?
Cool, will have to try that. I was thinking of something like a lambda diode oscillator (J310+BC212 or similar) as these can draw in the tens of microamps.

I submitted a version of this to EW&WW a wile back and they were impressed that it could drive an LED from 1.5V even if you needed to select the JFETs by manufacturer.

-A
hboy007
Fri Aug 12 2011, 09:50PM
Link2

pack a bunch of 20 of these into a prosthetic hand. I don't know if this has been done already but it's an idea I ran across the first time I saw those piezo squiggle motors. These actuators are super tiny, light-weight, fast and strong. Unfortunately, a set that covers the degrees of freedom of a hand would cost ~10000 Euro. Anyone feel like supporting a good project for the sake of mankind? wink
Just add some neuronal network software and train it to perform organic motions (yeah, I know the way it sounds doesn't to the difficulty of the task justice)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: