All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My 3rd DRSSTC playing "William Tell Overture"

Move Thread LAN_403
TheBoozer
Mon Dec 21 2009, 09:00PM Print
TheBoozer Registered Member #1535 Joined: Wed Jun 11 2008, 11:37PM
First light of my latest DRSSTC went better than planned. It's difficult to contain my excitement. I really wanted to share at least this video with everyone here. Link2

There are more, but this one sounds so nice...

This system is running @ 61khz on a pair of CM150DY-12NF

Secondary is 6.5" O.D. PVC. Smaller toroid is 12x3 larger one is 24x6

Coronafix
Mon Dec 21 2009, 10:07PM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
Very nice!! Well done.
What is the sparking at the bottom right corner of the vid at approx. 0:46 ?
Daniel Uhrenholt
Mon Dec 21 2009, 10:42PM
Daniel Uhrenholt Registered Member #125 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:52PM
Nice work, I like it:-)

It sounds like you don't have enough filter cap to hold the bus voltage high at long notes... How big a capacitor do you use here?

I have a video of the exact same number, but I have 5600uF on the bus Link2

Cheers, Daniel
TheBoozer
Tue Dec 22 2009, 02:06AM
Coronafix: It's actually the OCD light coming on... No biggie. We are good there. :) It's actually set to a mere 500amp...

Daniel, any compliments from you is a high honor. Your work is outstanding!!! This DRSSTC engine was built to be as physically small as possible. So far it stands at under 7 inches or 17.5 centimeters. I'm not sure if I'll leave it with this coil yet or not. The 400vdc bus comes from a 140vac with a doubler. The doubler has 3300µF. The DRSSTC engine has 4800µF. I tested the engine in a similar setup and the bus drops to 375 at the most... By the way, I saw your version the day you put it out. I thought: Wow!!! I gotta have one that does that. That's an awesome tune for these. Here we are today. :) Thanks for the inspiration... Back to your observation:

The first two songs I attempted appeared to have the notes running into each other. I didn't want a waving arc playing music. I wanted one that put out note bursts. I decided to take advantage of the way duty cycle is handled. Duty cycle is based on note frequency. I put a routine in that decays the duty cycle at a constant rate while a note is playing. So high notes decay a lot faster than low frequency ones. It improved the overall arc appearance so I let it as is. I figured it was like a piano. Tap the key and then it decays. It gives it character. High frequency notes play with moderate arc length and then the big bass notes kick in with long arcs. It seems more realistic this way... I haven't tweaked this since I threw it in. I'll get back to that sooner or later...

Daniel Uhrenholt
Wed Dec 23 2009, 04:27PM
Daniel Uhrenholt Registered Member #125 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:52PM
Sorry for the late answer, I had some difficulties coming home to my apartment due to snow here in Denmark yesterday:-)

My interrupter just have a fixed duty cycle that I can change with a potentiometer, so yours is a little more advanced than mine:-)

You say you had problems with the notes running into each other, did the coil make a popping sound? I have this problem with my bigger coil, as it needs a lot more on time than the coil on the video, so I make the bursts in the midi software I use... The coil in the video only has 50us on time, so I can play really high notes with it.

Cheers, Daniel
TheBoozer
Thu Dec 24 2009, 12:05AM
I'm just glad you haven't abandoned this thread yet. :) I am fortunate so far this year. It only snows on my day off and I didn't need to go anywhere...

Notes running into each other meant the arc doesn't extinguish between notes. There is a really weird pop near the end of my William Tell tune. Probably a software bug. I'll figure that one out sooner or later. No other oddities in any other tunes with any of my coils so far....

I started with a fixed duty cycle. I didn't like being fixed to whatever the highest note could handle. I blew apart many bricks at this stage. I needed something more dynamic. Duty cycled is now derived from 1) Note Frequency 2) Microcontroller frequency & 3) Desired IGBT average ontime in %.

My typical notes range from 50µS to 150µS. This roughly translates to between 3 & 10 rf cycles. Today I took a peek at William Tell decay rates. The longest & low notes might start at 150µS and decay to 100µS. I like having this kind of control. I could translate my formulas if you wanted to see my approach to this...

Today I raised my IGBT ontime from 1.5% to 2.0%. I also raised the OCD from 500a to 625a. Arcs were longer, fatter. It stuck the ground quite often. Hmm.... I think the next test will be 2.5% @ 750a. If it doesn't blow up at that point, I will stop there. I will then try to figure out what kinda of primary to replace this with and then get back to the midi software...

I've had a burning question for months and am dying to know anyone else's answer: How do you deal with chords?

Right now my software only allows me to choose between the highest or lowest of the bunch. In the video I released, I had the software pick out the highest note in the chord. Is there a better approach???

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: