All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Stripping Gold

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Forty
Tue Nov 08 2011, 07:37AM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
Ha. I've been salvaging gold over the last week too.
I've been throwing any gold plated bits (just contacts and pins so far) into concentrated nitric acid and letting it do its thing. when i notice it's not reacting anymore, i add some more nitric acid and wait.
when it's all done it looks like either blue or black goldschlager depending on the contaminants in solution.
Then i siphon out the liquid, being careful not to suck up any of the gold flakes. Usually some other gunk is left so i add water to dissolve it, let it settle, and siphon out the liquid again. repeat until the liquid is clear.
I imagine you could use circuit board etchants to do the same thing, provided that your gold scrap components have a copper core and are free of solder.
Certainly doesn't yield as pure of a result as precipitating the gold, but if you just want a vial full of gold flakes, it gets the job done.
edit: vile to vial
Ash Small
Tue Nov 08 2011, 06:02PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Vile?....vial, maybe?....or is this another Americanism? smile
Ocean Waves
Thu Nov 10 2011, 04:26PM
Ocean Waves Registered Member #4181 Joined: Thu Nov 03 2011, 02:39PM
careful ferric chloride echant can and will dissolve gold when the ORP gets over 600 by the addition of acids, and all those little wires connecting the silicon dies to the package are usually palladium silver alloy in the cheaper chips because gold does not bond to Al because of the formation of “purple poison”, like memory and the the average run of the mill, super cheap IC's, you will not be able to dissolve anything made of or alloyed with more than 10 percent sliver using chlorine based reagents, and even at 10 percent it has to be strongly agitated to remove the passavation layer of silver chloride....

Stick with Nitric or smelting followed by copper electrolytic refinement when dealing with electronic scrap. I generally just grind all of the electronics scrap in a hammer mill to -60 mesh, separate all of the heavy metal components over shaker table with a magnetic trap. I then smelt it under borax flux adding silica until all of the remaining iron is locked up as sodium Iron borosilicate of course you will lose a volume of the silver Dependant on the manganese content of the electronics as stable sliver manganese borosilicate, this usually yields a nice iron free copper bar that can be refined in a .5 micron anode sack with a copper plate cathode, in sulfamic acid (dry-loc from home depot), at just enough voltage to get a suitably high current density, of upto 100ma/cm and not any more, the muck remaining in the sack is dissolved first by nitric acid then Aqua Regia until only oxide residue remains, that can be added back to the next smelt, the yields of this process are much higher than any hydro only process, it just so happens that the majority of the values are occluded by plastic coatings.
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: