Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How to neutralize FeCl3

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
GODSFUSION
Tue Apr 18 2006, 09:27AM
GODSFUSION Registered Member #157 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:00PM
there nylon/fibreglass bolts.

- Wayne -
Simon
Thu Apr 20 2006, 12:10AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Shouldn't adding NaOH precipitate the Cu2+ and neutralise the (Lewis) acid? (Chemistry wasn't my best subject and I don't trust myself with Lewis.)
Bored Chemist
Thu Apr 20 2006, 12:00PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Netralising the stuff with bicarbonate of soda or garden lime (CaCO3 will stop it being nasty and corrosive, but it won't stop Cu being toxic (incidentally the iron is toxic too, but less so). You still need to get rid of the stuff at a hazardous waste disposal site.
Short of separating the Fe from the Cl by adding excess NH3 then aeration to make sure all the Fe is oxidised to Fe(III), filternig the Fe(OH)3 off from the copper/ ammonia complex (which dissolves paper btw). then reprecipitating the Cu by evaporatig off the copper, then smelting the Cu and Fe to recover the metals I can't thhink of a solution to the problem other than the waste disposal companies.
OTOH, neutralising it with NaHCO3, settling out the mixed hydroxides/ carbonates and roasting them would give an interesting oxide mixture to use for thermite experiments. Of course, after the thermite is done you still have a toxic mess, but it was more fun in the meantime. smile
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Sept 13 2006, 06:33PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I would have mentioned the Ammonia neutralization and separation (which I have done several times) but its rather difficult and the Ammonia is difficult to work with.

The really strong Ammonia requires a respirator and goggles because it gives a very cold stinging/burning while working with it. Also Ammonia can cause asphyxia and death, so I was avoiding that one.

It's doable if you are patient and careful, and have a gallon or so of the strong stuff.

Matt
EEYORE
Wed Sept 13 2006, 07:57PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Poor it on some weeds outside wink

Matt
Electroholic
Wed Sept 13 2006, 09:46PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
iirc if you have too much ammonia, it forms complex ions with cu2+, adn that stuff is soluable. If you jsut use liek NaOH, it will just ppt, and i mean NaOH isn't that bad, you dont' have to work with the concentrated stuff.

So, what i would do is, Put XS NaOH in there,filter and wash the ppt, then neutralize the liquid with whatever acid you have handy. if not warm NaOH helps with clogged sinks, too. LOL
badastronaut
Wed Sept 13 2006, 10:23PM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
You can precipitate the metal ions by using aluminum foil, then filter and neutralize the solution to get gelatinous aluminum hydroxide. The reaction is extremely exothermic though.
Chris
Wed Nov 14 2007, 03:16AM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
One option if this is a fairly small scale operation, which I'm assuming it is, is to just distill it down and be left with a low volume sludge (or you could dry it to powder too even), which you could either dispose of more easily, or refine for recovery of useful chemicals. The majority of your volume left over would be just water or water with much lower contamination depending on how thoroughly you distilled it. Of course you need an all glass/teflon distillation apparatus for that, but I claim one can be had (ebay) for the cost of not too much hazardous waste disposal. Obviously if you etch a lot of boards you aren't going to be spending the time or energy to distill the waste, but if you have low volume it won't be a problem.
ragnar
Wed Nov 14 2007, 03:30AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
How about sanitizing used ammonium persulphate etchant?

(Should I start a new thread for this?)
Conundrum
Sat Nov 17 2007, 08:17AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
the solution i heard of is to neutralise it, then add the liquid to the appropriate amount of plaster of paris. then mix and wait for it to set, then dispose of as inert waste.

regards, -A
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: