Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

4.5 MHz coil

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Feb 15 2006, 01:19AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
If the capacitence lowers the resonant point, lower then the 1/4 wave, which it does, how do you bring the coil back up to the 1/4 wave resonant point then?

I'm under the impression that the Cself of the secondary is a series capacitence and the toroid being a parallel capacitence. Are you suggesting that by sizing your toroid to Cself it can be canceled?
WaveRider
Wed Feb 15 2006, 08:07AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
The electrical length of the winding at the fundamental resonance without a topload is longer than 1/4 wave. However, it behaves like a classic 1/4-wave open-ended transmission line (like a resonant circuit). Having built helical resonators in the past, I know that if they are loosly wound, they have an electrical length almost like an "unrolled" 1/4-wave transmission line...particularly if the external shield is not very large.. It's the close windings that make the difference in the TC case. To me, that's what makes this very interesting. I should probably shut up now and think about it some more! cheesey
Dr. Shark
Wed Feb 15 2006, 09:29AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Whohoo, my "What _is_ a tesla coil" thread lives again! Im sorry I was sleeping through the heat of the battle.
In case you did not find the paper Steve is referring to, it is here Link2 . But I'm still not sure if it is worth understanding what is going on there, the trial and error approach seems to give you sparks at some point at least, whereas the theory is never going to do that .-)

Firkragg, most people seem to use the empiric Medhurst formula to calculate the capacitance, I am sure you know this, but just in case: C[pF]= k*d[cm] where the constant k depends on the aspect ratio of the coil and is about 0.7 for a 1:3 tesla coil. d is the diameter. This is supposed to be quite accurate, which I find surprising considering all the parameters _not_ entering the formula.
Marko
Thu Feb 16 2006, 07:15PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Firkragg, most people seem to use the empiric Medhurst formula to calculate the capacitance, I am sure you know this, but just in case: C[pF]= k*d[cm] where the constant k depends on the aspect ratio of the coil and is about 0.7 for a 1:3 tesla coil. d is the diameter. This is supposed to be quite accurate, which I find surprising considering all the parameters _not_ entering the formula.

LOL, formulae fails any mathematics but I used it and calculated 7,7 pf, TC CAD did 7,1 for my secondary... I dont understand, capacitance, our tesla coil 'constant' and diameter (now in centimeters) confused dont have any basical linking in reality, but I calculated C well confused
Marko
Thu Feb 23 2006, 02:50PM
Well few days have past so i hope I can double-post now confused

I made my micro-coil work using similar schematic, streamer is about the same size (only 20V supply)

Im using small topload and wire with spike far from it to promote breakout.
Using some half-baked calculations I guess it resonates at about 2Mhz (doh's formulae is strange but works quite well smile )

Spark wields a lot of power, it easily burns paper, fingers, insulation...
Here is small movie that shows drawing arc trough insulated wire (insulation bursts and carbonises, making interesting fireworks)

Link2

Pictures of streamers are also added , nothing spectacular but I think wawerider (and me now smile ) are on very good way to accomplish something...

Link2

cheers...

ragnar
Fri Feb 24 2006, 05:09AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
*ahem*! lol

My oscilloscope might arrive next week, so by then I can have tried to build my own circuit finally!
Marko
Fri Feb 24 2006, 11:21AM
You really dont need osciloscope for this...

I ran it in ''interrupted'' mode, about 36 volts but halfwawe rectified.
It makes noisy, 2cm wide streamer.

Hanged 3 mosfets already, now usingIRFZ30 and IRFZ46 (very similar, results are same as with two 24's or two 30's)
So mosfet choice is not critical at all, just go for highest current and voltage about 50V (if you dont mind push it more)

When I tried to filter it mosfet blew instantly, obivously gate got overvolted by feedback.
I tought about to improve coil for higher voltage, most probably in interrupted mode.
For higher voltages gate zener will be needed.

Maybe some capacitors wisely placed at primary could make it resonate in class E (that would need LOTS of thinkering)

When I run it it f*cks my ADSL up smile
Jams heavily radio, TV, internet connection, cell phones hold but lose some signal.

While using 3 feedback turns streamer was smaller but incredibly hot, if you could watch that film (some people said download doesnt work confused
you could see what is it doing to wire insulation dead

Now I reduced feedback to 1 turn, it is more stable, bigger but weaker arcs.

Draws about 2A of current in this mode, but that depends lot on coupling, output power, etc...

WaveRider
Fri Feb 24 2006, 11:49AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
Excellent work.. Indeed, I also found the arcs very hot. You can feel the heat rising off them..

I couldn't get your film to work either.. Got directed to some crap page that wanted me to buy internet services.. mistrust

You may find that enclosing the coil (and associated electronics) in a well bypassed Faraday cage will stop the intereference and actually increase arc size. (I found this to be the case..I was getting strong coupling into the power supply leads, and hence into my apartment's electrical system... This could have been sucking up a few tens of watts or so..)

The harmonic content is considerable (depends on biasing, feedback level, etc..). Even if fundamental radiation is weak, harmonic radiation can be significant and can wreak all kinds of havoc....

Marko
Fri Feb 24 2006, 12:14PM
The streamer itself is actually biggest mess-maker.
Ionised air emits whole specter of EM radiation that interferes with everything...
Other threat is strong electric field emmited from coil that lights neon bulbs and also causes havoc in instruments...

My coil is not grounded as it will cause it to couple and demonstrate its 'wirelles energy sending' capabilities, but on electronic devices.
It draws small current, mosfets are cool but secondary itself becomes very hot over time (thin wire and low thickness of skin at that frequency)

1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: