All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

PD500 X-Ray Machine

Move Thread LAN_403
oxodoes
Fri May 22 2009, 11:30AM Print
oxodoes Registered Member #2134 Joined: Fri May 22 2009, 11:01AM
Hello everybody

While searching for some further information on amateur xray systems I hit upon this forum and discovered that a lot of people whose websites I had visited before are represented here. This encouraged me to sign up in order to present my own not yet sucessful project.

My system is based on a PD500 shunt stabiliser triode, which has been sucessfully used for similar projects before.
At the moment I'm usually operating the tube at 35kV (I could go to 50-60kV with better cooling of the transformer) with a current of 0,35 mA (At a filament configuration of 5,7V and 0,3A.).

As I understand it the breakthrough voltage for this tube is about 25 kV, so in theorie I should generate xrays.

Yet neither my Geiger Counter nor a scintillation detector is picking up any radiation. I also placed a ZnS screen and a xray intensifying screen in front of the tube and haven't been able to see anything with the naked eye.

Is the HV sufficient and can you spot any potential flaws in my current setup??

Thanks for your advice
Martin

PS: And YES, I am using shielding...
uzzors2k
Fri May 22 2009, 07:12PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Welcome to the forum! smile

Jochen Kronjaeger has summed up making x-rays with rectifier tubes here. Link2 I think the problem is that you are heating the filament.

HV rectifiers and such will usually generate too little radiation to light up an x-ray cassette sufficiently to be visible, unless it's really dark. You should try exposing photographic paper with the intensifying screen instead. At 350µA meager exposure should occur after 30s.
Proud Mary
Sun May 24 2009, 05:12PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Welcome to our online community!

We have four members whose main interest is radiography, and now we have one more!

Can I ask you about your measuring instruments? When you say you have 35kV anode voltage, is this by direct measurement when the tube is running, or just what you think you should have by Cockroft-Walton multiplication?

What is the make and type of your GM tube?
What is the type of scintillator in your counter.

As Uzzors says, do not expect visible results from a ZnS screen.

You're in the right place and we will get it up and running for you! smile

oxodoes
Sun May 24 2009, 09:44PM
Thanks for your quick replies.

@ Uzzors: I read about the approach to not heat the filament and instead connect the tube in reverse, but I can not really see any advantage as one does not have direct control over the tube current any more. Can you explain this any further??

@ Harry: The voltage is measured directly with the help of an high voltage probe (which is supposed to be capable of 40kV bit hasn't even blown up at over 60keV). So I really am sure that my high voltage source is appropriate.

I today sovled my cooling problems with the transformer by replacing an outdated mosfet (high internal resistance) with a series of modern mosfets, so that I was able to push the voltage to over 60kV. And WHOLLA the Geiger counter started ticking away happely.

Some further researche then showed that the GM tube (a thin window alpha-beta-gamma detector) I'm using is supposed to be sensitive to gamma radiation above 70keV only. So I guess I really only had a detection problem.

Sadly I do not have any further information on the scintillator and it does not react at 60kV, so I guess it's pretty much useless.

I now ordered an image intensifier tube (amplification factor of 30 000), which may enable me to take radiographs without having to use old style photo-paper (plazmatron has already build a system like this before). So I may be getting the first pictures by the end of the week.

I may be a bit too optimistic but if this works I may place the object that I want to xray on a rotating table and do some 3D reconstruction like in a CT scan...
Proud Mary
Sun May 24 2009, 11:20PM
The maximum energy that an x-ray can have is numerically equal to the anode voltage.

The largest number of x-ray photons are emitted with an energy of about 33% of the maximum photon energy (Kvp) i.e. if you have 45kV anode voltage, the majority of your photons will fall below 15kVp

Now, if we assume that your PD500 valve glass is fairly opaque to X-rays <15kVp, you'll see why not much happened until you wound up the anode voltage good and proper. There will have been emission, but perhaps too feeble to detect with your unsuitable apparatus. (make an ionisation chamber if you are serious)

In Kronjaeger's cold cathode arrangement, the idea is to keep the impedance of the tube as high as possible, (i.e. no heater) thus maximizing the voltage drop across it. His idea of reversing the cathode-anode
connections is to increase the impedance still further.

The efficiency of x-ray production is completely independent of the anode current.
Irrespective of the current selected, the efficiency of x-ray production remains constant. The efficiency of x-ray production increases with increasing projectile-electron energry. At 60 kVp, just 0.5% of the electron kinetic energy is converted to x-rays, but at 120 MeV, it is 70%.

oxodoes
Mon May 25 2009, 06:54AM
First of all I have to make a slight correction to my previous post: My GM tube is not only sensitive to gammas above 70keV, but should react from 7keV onwards. (It was nearly midnight when I posted this so please excuse me.)

This means that I did really have no detection problem and is in perfect agreement with your argumentation Harry:
60 kV anode current -> xray intensity peak at about 20keV (just enough to escape the PD500)
I realise that the Geiger counter is still not the most suitable device and will begin building an ionisation chamber as soon as I can.

I understand that the efficiency is only depending on the voltage, yet as I have no way to increase the voltage to over 80keV, the only way to increase the xray intensity is to increase the current (momentarily at 0,5 mA) (intensity = efficiency * current).

Increasing the impedance as in Kronjaegers design does reduce the current, so that the overall voltage drop should actually stay the same (V=I*Z), while the intensity is reduced. I guess it has an advantage if ones high voltage source is not capable to deliver the necessary voltage and current at the same time.

PS: I will post some pictures of my setup later today.
Proud Mary
Mon May 25 2009, 12:04PM
Isn't 500uA rather low?

Doesn't the Phillips PD500 Data Sheet (which should be exceeded for X-ray producton) indicate 1.6mA?
oxodoes
Mon May 25 2009, 01:01PM
Indead it does. But I thought 1.6 mA to be rather high, so I didn't ground the screen and some of the pins that say "internally connected", which does reduce the current significantly.

I now know that I am producing xrays and might ground the pins I mentioned above If I'm not able to get any image within the next couple of days.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: