All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Fullwave rectification verses Bridge retification and VA ratings

Move Thread LAN_403
Wavetuner
Fri May 22 2009, 05:50AM Print
Wavetuner Registered Member #1500 Joined: Sat May 24 2008, 04:38PM
I have been trying to get my head around the affect of using a center tapped transformer and a classic FW rectifier (half the duty cycle) and a fullwave bridge and clearly no center tap (excepting dual bridges). A: what is the voltage gain (smoothed) of a fullwave diode verses the SQR2*V of a bridge? B: How much does halving the duty cycle increase the effective VA of a power supply of a equivilent transformer. I don't think it is 50%, does anyone know?
Myke
Fri May 22 2009, 06:16AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
I think for a two diode full wave rectifier, I think that the transformer would need twice the wire as it need to have that other secondary winding connected by a tap. I also think that in both configurations, each diode sees approximately 50% of the full waveform. In the two diode version, each diode alternates being on and off and in the bridge version, they alternating being on and off in pairs. Remember that transformers can only output AC.

EDIT: I don't think I answered you question... sorry if I didn't answer any part of it. angry
Sulaiman
Fri May 22 2009, 05:39PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
From (my unreliable) memory;

In times when steel and copper were relatively cheap and
rectifiers were inefficient (e.g. selenium)
or expensive (e.g. valve(s) and heater transformer windings)
the cost effective choice was full-wave (dual winding, two rectifiers)

Now that rectifiers are cheap and metals are expensive
it is more efficient to use one winding with a full bridge rectifier.

The 'ideal' ratio of primary winding area to secondary winding area is different for
full-wave (more area for the primary 'window' area than the combined secondaries)
and full-bridge (equal pri & sec 'window'area)

Today's transformers are wound as if for full-bridge
(the primary usually requires a little more area than the secondaries
due to insulation and magnetisation current)

I think that with modern transformers you would have to de-rate to 70% of nominal power
(2/sqrt(2)) if you use full-wave, compared to the same two windings in parallel with a bridge.

Modern power supplies use transformers at high frequencies (16 to 100 kHz typ.)
to minimise the ammount of metal used saving cost , weight and volume.
Commonly a Power Factor Correction switchmode front end with a pwm regulator is used

A rule-of-thumb for transformers with full-bridge rectifiers into a capacitor and load
Vdc = 1.4 x Vac, Idc = 0.62 x Iac,

so, Pdc = 0.87 x Pac . e.g. A 100 VA transformer can give 87 Wdc
for nominal specifications such as temperature rise to be maintained.

Sorry, I tend to ramble on ...and on ... ... ..
Steve Conner
Sat May 23 2009, 12:32PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
This is an example of what (I think!) they call "Transformer utilization factor". This is equal to watts of DC out of the rectifier, divided by the VA rating of the transformer.

For a full-wave rectifier with two diodes and center-tapped winding, each half of the winding is only passing current half of the time. That's actually bad, not good, because it means that the RMS-to-average ratio of the winding current is higher. The RMS is what heats the winding, and the average is what produces the DC output. So, this means more heating for a given DC output than with a bridge rectifier: and hence a worse utilization factor.

I can never remember the exact values of TUF for the bridge and full-wave circuits, but it varies depending on what size of filter capacitors you use anyway. The bigger the caps, the worse it gets.

The voltage gain of a full-wave center tap circuit is either the same as a bridge, or one-half, depending on how you look at it. If you use a 70V AC transformer with a bridge, it rectifies to 100V DC. To get 100V DC with a FWCT rectifier, you need a 70-0-70 transformer.

Imagine you had a transformer with two identical 70V windings. You can connect it as 70-0-70 and use with a FWCT, or you can parallel the two windings and use with a bridge. Both give 100V DC, but which do you think will be most efficient?

The full-wave center tap is still used in low-voltage applications where the losses due to forward drops in the diodes are greater than the copper losses in the transformer. Going from bridge to full-wave increases the copper losses, but it cuts the diode losses in half.

You can then get your copper losses back by making the transformer somewhat bigger, which is no problem in a switchmode supply, as it's usually tiny anyway.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: